Bullying in School

If you saw bullying, what would you do to stop it? Would you stand by and let it happen, take part in it or try to stop it? Not many students think about this, and that’s part of the problem.

‘Treat others the way you want to be treated.’ That’s the Golden Rule and it should be followed in every aspect of your life. If someone was in a position to stop you from being bullied and did nothing, how would you feel? If you find that unacceptable, you must do everything you can to stop others from hurting people.

Are you even remotely aware of how much pain these victims feel every day? They go to school knowing they’re going to be hurt and they see no way out. This is because people like you and many others stand by and let it happen without contemplating how much pain this is causing people. Ask yourself this: How would you feel if you were in the victim’s position and could see no end to your pain?

When the victims see no way out, they may choose to tragically end their life, leaving more hurt behind for those who were unable to stop it. Canada has the third-highest teen suicide rate of all the industrialized nations, with 15 deaths per 100,000 people. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-24, behind motor vehicle accidents. The death of a young person is always a waste of life, so how many more lives must be wasted before something is done?

If you condone bullying in any way, shape or form, you are taking part in it. Bullying is everyone’s responsibility and the option of doing nothing is unacceptable in civilized society. Some people may consider mocking someone funny, even though it is anything but funny to the victim. Small jabs taken every day can add up to a lot of pain and suffering. While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper.

Bullying can happen in school, so it is the responsibility of students to protect their classmates and to show everyone the dignity and respect they would like to be treated with. The first line of defense in bullying is in student’s own behavior. But when that fails, it must be brought to the attention of someone in authority, like a teacher. The concept of someone in authority failing to address the problem is simply not acceptable. This is why you must speak to a teacher you trust and know will do something to stop the bullying.

Bullying is happening everywhere, even at your own school. You may not see it, you may not know it is there, but it is happening and it causes unimaginable pain to the victims. The only way to end bullying is to talk about it openly rather than making it a taboo issue. If someone is hurting another person, they will not stop unless someone (either a fellow classmate or someone in authority) stands up for the victim and tells their tormentor to stop. Bullying is everyone’s problem; therefore everyone has to be part of the solution.

sarah H. said...
today at 5:18 pm
This is great David! I'm in love with this<3

Thorn said...
today at 5:03 pm
I love bvb they are amazing I love them all They are my idols

trent said...
Apr. 10 at 2:07 pm
Your awesome

LeahLeah02 said...
Apr. 3 at 2:56 pm
We read this in class today and it's all over our school. It might not have changed anything at your school, but it had a great impact in mine! It's wonderful

Jaylin928 said...
Oct. 21, 2014 at 11:04 am
I loved the essay...if I was your teacher,this essay would have an 'A' no doubt about it.Spectacular job

teena96 said...
Oct. 18, 2014 at 4:15 am
bullying is a big issue  in teenage life but people should break it down and never let anyone try to damage them physically and emotionaly . i have suggesstionss that inorder to break that shell you need to answer back , have self confidence and be strong

kgio said...
Thank you so much for writng this article it is refreshing to read an article from a teen with a powerful opinion like yours it is really helping me with my essay on bullying 

Sarahlovsanime said...
Mar. 20, 2014 at 2:40 am
Very true, but what should I do whenever I'm bullied in school. None of my friends are brave enough to stand up for me. My best friend used to help me whenever I was bullied before but now she moved away. What should I do?

Jenn replied...
Mar. 10 at 8:29 pm
Be brave and stand up for yourself. Hold your head high and don't respond back to them directly. Someone will always listen, but it important that you make your voice heard by people who can do something about it. And, hang in there! It will get better.

Mia Panganiban said...
Mar. 14, 2014 at 8:54 am
What if, The teachers are the one who  starts the bullying? The victims can't ask help to their teachers. And I observed that many students do not know what bullying Is.They just makes it Fun. And I observed also that the person who bullyed thier school friends just want to make they're friends and they do not know that the person that they bullyed was not happy in what they did.  

Girl_In_Pink replied...
Feb. 15 at 4:29 am
That is not called bullying because the students are not of the same level as of their teachers, that is called "child abuse" Thank you :)

teenink.com said...
Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:01 am
Dont loose hope.i love your newsletter.its motivating.

rebel14 said...
Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:24 am
BULLYING NEEDS TO BE REDUCED AND TEACHERS SHOULD BE FIRED IF THEY ARE BULLYING STUDENTS

RAMEZ replied...
Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:42 am
TRUE BULLYING IS NOT GOOD  IF A TEACHER IS BULLLIG STUDENTS THEY SHOULD BE FIRED 

JuniorMalaysia said...
Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:23 am
What happen if my all my classmate including the teachers bullying the student? Who should I seek help to stop this bully case? I want to help my friend by asking higher authority to help but seem like the teachers cannot do anything about it. If you were me, what will you do?

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:37 am
If I were you I would probably try to talk to the principal.  If they are involved in the bullying situation, go to the next level up, right up to the superintendent of your school division.  Students and TEACHERS bullying a student is completely unacceptable and something needs to be done about it.

jegathis stupid dog said...
Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:52 am
Nice essay

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:36 am
Thank you! :)

gloria said...
thank u very much im doing an assay about bullying u help me alot again thank u

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:36 am
Glad I could help. :)