Foreign Language Requirements in the USA

What is the point in students from the Untied States of America having to learn another language in order for us to graduate from our own high schools? This is the US is it not? We should have the free will to choose wither or not we want to learn another language. We live here.

In my personal opinion, I find it extremely ridiculous, that American citizens have to learn a foreign language to even graduate from our own high schools. If people from other countries choose to move here, they should be required to know enough English, to carry out a decent conversation. I have nothing against people moving into our beautiful country. But we should not have to change our ways just to please, and understand them.

Ivygurl202 said...
I personally believe that it is extremely ignorant to believe that it is unnecessary for us to learn the languages of other countries. I think the forced language courses are enforced because many people have a dilusional belief that English will dominate the world. In all truth Spanish will eventually become the second offical language of the U.S. and Chinese is taking over the world. It is important for us to learn other language beccause the world can change in a matter of minutes...for all w... (more »)

earlybird_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Of course, people should learn English if they're coming to America because it is the official language of the US... uh... wait a sec... THERE ISN'T ONE. You think languages are pointless? In an increasingly globalized economy, they'll be the difference between a high paying job in the stock market and minimum wage at McDonalds. It's also helpful to know how to ask where the bathroom is if you get lost on vacation.

Rozaley replied...
I have nothing against foreign languages, I just think it is rediculous that we are forced to learn them. I am learning French and took a Spanish class. I love foreign language, I just dont think we should be forced to take it. We should have the freedom to CHOOSE!

Threefiddy said...

"It is a blessing for an individual to be bilingual; it is a curse for a society to be bilingual" -Richard Lamm (From I Have a Secret Plan to Destroy America)

No society can stand the barriers created when people are balkanized by the inability to communicate.

Rozaley-Johnson replied...
That is so true, but it should be a free choice. We shouldn't be forced into it. I had to take Spanish, and I was failed for not answering ONE problem. It was so rediculous.