The Homework Revolution | Teen Ink

The Homework Revolution MAG

By SpaceKing800 GOLD, Glen Rock, New Jersey
SpaceKing800 GOLD, Glen Rock, New Jersey

"We especially need imagination in science. It is not all mathematics, nor all logic, but is somewhat beauty and poetry"- Maria Mitchell

A young girl sits at her desk, reviewing her homework assignments for the evening. English: read three chapters and write a journal response. Math: complete 30 problems, showing all work. Science: do a worksheet, front and back. French: study vocabulary for tomorrow's test. It's going to be a long night.

This describes a typical weeknight for students across the country. Now is the time to start a homework revolution.

Do students in the United States receive too much homework? According to guidelines endorsed by the National Education Association (NEA), a student should be assigned no more than 10 minutes per grade level per night. For example, a first grader should only have 10 minutes of homework, a second grader, 20 minutes, and so on. This means that a student in my grade – seventh – should have no more than 70 minutes of work each night. Yet this is often doubled, sometimes even tripled!

There are negatives to overloading students. Have you ever heard of a child getting sick because of homework? According to William Crain, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at City College of New York and the author of Reclaiming Childhood, “Kids are developing more school-related stomachaches, headaches, sleep problems, and depression than ever before.” The average student is glued to his or her desk for almost seven hours a day. Add two to four hours of homework each night, and they are working a 45- to 55-hour week!

In addition, a student who receives excessive homework “will miss out on active playtime, essential for learning social skills, proper brain development, and warding off childhood obesity,” according to Harris Cooper, Ph.D., a professor of psychology and neuroscience at Duke University.

Everybody knows that teachers are the ones who assign homework, but they do not deserve all the blame. “Many teachers are under greater pressure than ever before,” says Kylene Beers, president of the National Council for Teachers of English and the author of When Kids Can't Read What Teachers Can Do. “Some of it comes from parents, some from the administration and the desire for high scores on standardized tests.” Teachers who are under pressure feel the need to assign more homework. But why aren't teachers aware of the NEA homework recommendations? Many have never heard of them, have never taken a course about good versus bad homework, how much to give, and the research behind it. And many colleges of education do not offer specific training in homework. Teachers are just winging it.

Although some teachers and parents believe that assigning a lot of homework is beneficial, a Duke University review of a number of studies found almost no correlation between homework and long-term achievements in elementary school and only a moderate correlation in middle school. “More is not better,” concluded Cooper, who conducted the review.

Is homework really necessary? Most teachers assign homework as a drill to improve memorization of material. While drills and repetitive exercises have their place in schools, homework may not be that place. If a student does a math worksheet with 50 problems but completes them incorrectly, he will likely fail the test. According to the U.S. Department of Education, most math teachers can tell after checking five algebraic equations whether a student understood the necessary concepts. Practicing dozens of homework problems incorrectly only cements the wrong method.

Some teachers believe that assigning more homework will help improve standardized test scores. However, in countries like the Czech Republic, Japan, and Denmark, which have higher-scoring students, teachers give little homework. The United States is among the most homework-intensive countries in the world for seventh and eighth grade, so more homework clearly does not mean a higher test score.

Some people argue that homework toughens kids up for high school, college, and the workforce. Too much homework is sapping students' strength, curiosity, and most importantly, their love of learning. Is that really what teachers and parents want?

If schools assign less homework, it would benefit teachers, parents, and students alike. Teachers who assign large amounts of homework are often unable to do more than spot-check answers. This means that many errors are missed. Teachers who assign less homework will be able to check it thoroughly. In addition, it allows a teacher time to focus on more important things. “I had more time for planning when I wasn't grading thousands of problems a night,” says math teacher Joel Wazac at a middle school in Missouri. “And when a student didn't understand something, instead of a parent trying to puzzle it out, I was there to help them.” The result of assigning fewer math problems: grades went up and the school's standardized math scores are the highest they've ever been. A student who is assigned less homework will live a healthy and happy life. The family can look forward to stress-free, carefree nights and, finally, the teachers can too.

Some schools are already taking steps to improve the issue. For example, Mason-Rice Elementary School in Newton, Massachusetts, has limited homework, keeping to the “10 minute rule.” Raymond Park Middle School in Indianapolis has written a policy instructing teachers to “assign homework only when you feel the assignment is valuable.” The policy also states, “A night off is better than homework which serves no worthwhile purpose.” Others, such as Oak Knoll Elementary School in Menlo Park, California, have considered eliminating homework altogether. If these schools can do it, why can't everyone?

So, my fellow Americans, it's time to stop the insanity. It's time to start a homework revolution.

on Apr. 2 2010 at 1:57 am
SemiVeggie SILVER, Bellevue, Washington
Okay, thats a fair point, but I don't know what your other four classes are, but they must be study hall. How you have time for three extra currics, to train for a run, write a novel, eat with your family, spend time with your friends, and get eight and a half hours of sleep/night (congrats by the way, that sounds fabulous) is totally beyond me. I just have my classes, yearbook, JSA, play lacrosse, and horseback ride and I average somewhere between four and seven hours of sleep a night. Just for your own benefit, at my school teachers are no longer allowed to give homework over Thanksgiving, Spring, Mid-Winter, and Winter breaks, operating on the theory that those are all times that allow students to recharge, and spend more time with their families, and that excessive homework doesn't allow them to do that. (We formed a committee with a couple teachers on it and brought the point up at a staff meeting.)

_NoAir_ BRONZE said...
_NoAir_ BRONZE, Toronto, Other

There are as many ways to live as there are people in this world. Each one deserves a closer look.

–Golly (Harriet The Spy)

By the way, you must be great at writing essays!!! Five stars, amazing!

_NoAir_ BRONZE said...
_NoAir_ BRONZE, Toronto, Other

–Golly (Harriet The Spy)

Homework is useful in my opinion. Studying for a test is useful, because when I study, I usually find the answers in the sheet I practise! Yes, some of the best schools in teaching don't give out homework, but that is usually a rare occasion!

P.S I don't honestly like homework, either, but I love acting all political-ish!

on Mar. 26 2010 at 11:39 am
Starrlyt PLATINUM, Willard, North Carolina

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars -Les Brown

I agree with a little of what everyone has said.  Homework is stressful, and I am an honors student.  I only have four classes and it takes me about 3 or 4 hours to do all of my homework, and to study.  Then I go to school from 8:20-3:30 everyday.  I also have resposibilities at home. So, yeah, I agree, school should be less stressful.  i love to learn but lately i have begun to hate school.  i never wanted my view on education to come to that but it has...parents, teachers, and friends need to understand that we have lives too.  We're only individuals.  We cannot split ourselves up into tiny pieces and do everything at once.  There are only so many hours in the day.  i can only begin to imagine what life will be like when i get a job soon: and i am only a JUNIOR.  So middle schoolers, beware.  it gets worse.  lol.

CrazyLady101 said...
This is an extremely well written article, especially considering that its author is (was) only a seventh grader. I'm very impressed.

I must say though that I disagree with you. I'm an eleventh grade honors student and this year, I'm taking AP US History, AP Biology, Advanced Algebra 2, Advanced English, plus four other classes. I'm in Speech, Debate, Theater, and I'm training for a 10K run in April. Even with all this though, I'm still able to eat dinner with my family, to have coffee with friends, to write my NaNoWriMo Novel, to get eight and a half hours of sleep every night, and to watch Bones once a week. Right now, I worry about college applications and ACT scores, but I NEVER worry about too much homework. In fact, sometimes, I wish teachers gave more homework, so that I could think of more questions to ask in class. In this article, the author suggests that with homework, kids are spending an average of upwards of 55 hours per week in school and working on homework, but that is a small price to pay for the superior education required to succeed in this competitive age. Besides that, with 55 hours of school work, and 9 hours of sleep per night, students are still left with 50 hours per week (or an average of seven hours every day) to use in whatever way they wish. I know my parents don't ever get that kind of freedom.

The one homework change I would like to see, is that teachers would stop assigning work anything over Thanksgiving/Winter/Spring break. If students were allowed to completely relax at those times of the year, they would be more prepared to work hard durring the rest of the school year. Those breaks (and other long weekends) could serve as a time to reset.

Again, I think this is a fabulous article, and you should congratulate yourself on it. I just disagree.

Robkingett PLATINUM, Tallahassee, Florida

When I was little they called me a liar, but now I'm grown up, they call me a writer.

briliant! good luck though.

Authorgal98 GOLD, Frankort, Illinois

"Let your mind sart a journey through a strange new world..."

Wow, your approtriatly named, Busy Lizzy, no kidding! When do you have time to sleep?!

BasketballChick5, San Diego, California

:)Just Do It:) <3

Hi! I am here bymeself by the way great artical!

Cesare GOLD said...
Cesare GOLD, Sacramento, California

Do you know the only value life has is what life puts upon itself? And it is of course overestimated, since it is of necessity prejudiced in its own favor. [You] do not lose anything, for with the loss of yourself, you lose the knowledge of loss.

My solution is not doing it.

Busy_Lizzy BRONZE, Craig, Iowa

I don't give a crap!

yes, an hour to school and a hour home bus ride, 7 hours at school a day, church for 2 hours on sunday, wed. night conformation class and on thurs. and fri. i'm incharge of my little brothers getting up for school......wheew! no time no time! I understand where your coming from!

on Mar. 8 2010 at 4:37 am
BloodyMary PLATINUM, N/A, Other

Life is like a box of chocolates; You never know what you are gonna get.

I totally agree with you. I used to stay up late at night although I started homework very early. but now, we only have lesser homeworks. Less homework, lesser pressure...

your article is really great...I loved the concept and it is very interesting.

naturelover123 BRONZE, San Francisco, California
I like how this article was supported with a plethora of sources and examples, and I agree that some people are getting too much homework these days. It seems like so many things are rushed through, and then we end up passing the test but forgetting what we learned soon after. School should be about learning exciting and beneficial things that will be valuable throughout life-- not staying up till 3 AM working hard on something that the teacher just glances at the next day, grades, and throws away!

Auren_Lumdrum BRONZE, Alexander, Arkansas
I know what you mean... I'm suffering from that right now. I have so much homework to do, that once i get off work and get home around 10:45 I still have to spend 1,2,3 hours on homework. And then my teachers wonder why I sleep in class. I work, I do homework, and I sleep in between. I have no time for me anymore because I'm busy doing work.

HeadshotM SILVER, Melbourne, New York

Your failure is my success

took u long enough 2 realise

dreamer said...
This has to be one of the most incredible things i've seen ... it comes from both views and perspectives it's great... im going to also show this to my fellow classmates and teachers i think that more people should take this seriously ... noone realizes how much stress anyone is dealing with ... and i think this whole process should be opened up all over the world... we have so many hard times in our lives and i think this would be a little less off of everyone it's an inspiration to try and make a change for once... we should all take this seriously whether others disagree or not ... think about the big change that this would make on alot of our lives... this would open up many more oppertunities for so many of us who dont have time for extra or are always stressed because there is just to much happening in their lives ... we should really take this to heart and encourage others to go along and participate and making a change ... by this i mean just what alot of you said share this with everyone give them your opinion and listen to theirs i really love this article

Gradschoolgrl, Boulder, Colorado

If there is no struggle there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation are men who want crops without plowing up the ground... Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. -Douglass

Hmmm. What's "the board"? Sounds ominous. Why does your response have to be approved?

Ah.....That's actually a great idea!

HeadshotM SILVER, Melbourne, New York

Your failure is my success

that homework should not be work done at home

And what do you mean by that?

May I ask what grade and how many minutes?