The Homework Revolution | Teen Ink

The Homework Revolution MAG

By SpaceKing800 GOLD, Glen Rock, New Jersey
SpaceKing800 GOLD, Glen Rock, New Jersey

"We especially need imagination in science. It is not all mathematics, nor all logic, but is somewhat beauty and poetry"- Maria Mitchell

A young girl sits at her desk, reviewing her homework assignments for the evening. English: read three chapters and write a journal response. Math: complete 30 problems, showing all work. Science: do a worksheet, front and back. French: study vocabulary for tomorrow's test. It's going to be a long night.

This describes a typical weeknight for students across the country. Now is the time to start a homework revolution.

Do students in the United States receive too much homework? According to guidelines endorsed by the National Education Association (NEA), a student should be assigned no more than 10 minutes per grade level per night. For example, a first grader should only have 10 minutes of homework, a second grader, 20 minutes, and so on. This means that a student in my grade – seventh – should have no more than 70 minutes of work each night. Yet this is often doubled, sometimes even tripled!

There are negatives to overloading students. Have you ever heard of a child getting sick because of homework? According to William Crain, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at City College of New York and the author of Reclaiming Childhood, “Kids are developing more school-related stomachaches, headaches, sleep problems, and depression than ever before.” The average student is glued to his or her desk for almost seven hours a day. Add two to four hours of homework each night, and they are working a 45- to 55-hour week!

In addition, a student who receives excessive homework “will miss out on active playtime, essential for learning social skills, proper brain development, and warding off childhood obesity,” according to Harris Cooper, Ph.D., a professor of psychology and neuroscience at Duke University.

Everybody knows that teachers are the ones who assign homework, but they do not deserve all the blame. “Many teachers are under greater pressure than ever before,” says Kylene Beers, president of the National Council for Teachers of English and the author of When Kids Can't Read What Teachers Can Do. “Some of it comes from parents, some from the administration and the desire for high scores on standardized tests.” Teachers who are under pressure feel the need to assign more homework. But why aren't teachers aware of the NEA homework recommendations? Many have never heard of them, have never taken a course about good versus bad homework, how much to give, and the research behind it. And many colleges of education do not offer specific training in homework. Teachers are just winging it.

Although some teachers and parents believe that assigning a lot of homework is beneficial, a Duke University review of a number of studies found almost no correlation between homework and long-term achievements in elementary school and only a moderate correlation in middle school. “More is not better,” concluded Cooper, who conducted the review.

Is homework really necessary? Most teachers assign homework as a drill to improve memorization of material. While drills and repetitive exercises have their place in schools, homework may not be that place. If a student does a math worksheet with 50 problems but completes them incorrectly, he will likely fail the test. According to the U.S. Department of Education, most math teachers can tell after checking five algebraic equations whether a student understood the necessary concepts. Practicing dozens of homework problems incorrectly only cements the wrong method.

Some teachers believe that assigning more homework will help improve standardized test scores. However, in countries like the Czech Republic, Japan, and Denmark, which have higher-scoring students, teachers give little homework. The United States is among the most homework-intensive countries in the world for seventh and eighth grade, so more homework clearly does not mean a higher test score.

Some people argue that homework toughens kids up for high school, college, and the workforce. Too much homework is sapping students' strength, curiosity, and most importantly, their love of learning. Is that really what teachers and parents want?

If schools assign less homework, it would benefit teachers, parents, and students alike. Teachers who assign large amounts of homework are often unable to do more than spot-check answers. This means that many errors are missed. Teachers who assign less homework will be able to check it thoroughly. In addition, it allows a teacher time to focus on more important things. “I had more time for planning when I wasn't grading thousands of problems a night,” says math teacher Joel Wazac at a middle school in Missouri. “And when a student didn't understand something, instead of a parent trying to puzzle it out, I was there to help them.” The result of assigning fewer math problems: grades went up and the school's standardized math scores are the highest they've ever been. A student who is assigned less homework will live a healthy and happy life. The family can look forward to stress-free, carefree nights and, finally, the teachers can too.

Some schools are already taking steps to improve the issue. For example, Mason-Rice Elementary School in Newton, Massachusetts, has limited homework, keeping to the “10 minute rule.” Raymond Park Middle School in Indianapolis has written a policy instructing teachers to “assign homework only when you feel the assignment is valuable.” The policy also states, “A night off is better than homework which serves no worthwhile purpose.” Others, such as Oak Knoll Elementary School in Menlo Park, California, have considered eliminating homework altogether. If these schools can do it, why can't everyone?

So, my fellow Americans, it's time to stop the insanity. It's time to start a homework revolution.

on May. 1 2010 at 4:31 pm
polyprincess16 SILVER, Tracy, California

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

I totally agree with this article, and not just because I dislike hw. I have lots of other activities that I participate in like sports, church, and clubs; and on days when I have tons of hw I get really stressed out and if I don't finish it before I go to bed, then I end up not sleeping well. So having alot of hw is NOT beneficial to the students.

on May. 1 2010 at 3:01 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California

“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

I've never heard of people getting sick from homework before... teachers should read this article. Good job and yes there should be less homework.

ssophiaa GOLD said...
on May. 1 2010 at 1:14 pm
ssophiaa GOLD, Falls Church, Virginia

"You cannot operate from a concern of how you're perceived."
--Kevin Kittle

I agree. i'm in 8th grade and sometimes, I have 2 hours of homework to do on top of dance class, play rehearsals, voice lessons and competitions, and so on. I may have it easier since I have an A/B day schedule and my classes are every other day, but it's still a lot.

on May. 1 2010 at 8:54 am
Sketched97 PLATINUM, Silver Spring, Maryland
I totally agree. Sometimes homework is helpful, but a lot of times it useless. Like making us memorize 18 lines of Canterbury Tales in middle english. Im in 7th grade! Is it really necessary?

on Apr. 25 2010 at 6:59 pm
Wannabewriter BRONZE, Kingston, Other

TONS OF FUN!

I may not be from the U.S., but you totally taught me some new things I never knew about homework before.Cool article.

on Apr. 24 2010 at 9:37 pm
spontaneous09 BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

Yea h,I totally agree! It would be nice to have a couple days at a time where I don't have to stay up for hours doing homework. Because of homework I now have strange sleeping patterns.

Though some of it helps,(when you get to come back and ask questions and get teacher feedback)it has some negative effects. Some kids are really stressing out over grades and excessive homework, especially busy work, is making it much worse...

on Apr. 24 2010 at 8:44 pm
Lanna8o9 BRONZE, Medina, Ohio

We can do whatever we want to do whenever we want to do it
~Anonymous

I don't understand how you have time for that, either. I actually do less than both of you- though I HAVE been working on the NaNoWriMo!! I work on my writings, go to my dance studio, run, take care of the little siblings, go to school, do homework. This is my life, and I find myself utterly exhausted. More homework might just be the end of my grades.

on Apr. 24 2010 at 8:38 pm
Lanna8o9 BRONZE, Medina, Ohio

~Anonymous

I agree a bit with both of you. While homework builds some responsibility, and I don't think it causes diabetes- ;) - too much in definitely unhealthy. I'm a dancer and in eighth grade, and I find that, compared to days when I have less homework, more homework leaves me tired. I have more trouble at my dance classes and sleeping, which leaves me exhausted for the next day. So, while it may be a valuable experience and we probably shouldn't eliminate it completely, it isn't exactly the savior of all student of America. =)

on Apr. 22 2010 at 5:42 pm
RipponLeaEnergise BRONZE, Clayton, Other

"how wonderful it is that nobody has to wait a single moment before starting to improve the world"

Anne Frank

im in australia nd im in grade 9. our standard is supposed to be 2 and a half hours per night. but no one in the year does that much. our teachers force us to do the homework after school for the 2 and a half hours. if u dont then you get a weekend detention. its horrible and i think homework should stop, because we already learn enough in class!

brooklynn. said...
on Apr. 18 2010 at 8:25 pm
brooklynn., Louisville, Kentucky
Ah, I completely agree. I work so hard on homework each night, yet my mom gives me a bedtime of 10:00 each night; Plus, I have volleyball practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Add this all up, and I rarely get any free time. Well, I don't need free time necessarily, but I would like to have it. I play volleyall to keep me in shape, I go to bed at 10 so I can be prepared for the next day. With all the homework my teachers give me, I'm normally working til 9 at night, and I'm in ninth grade. Plus, then I have to study. On my report cards, I have great homework and classwork grades, but I fail some subjects due to test grades. I've always blamed the loads of homework I have to complete each night- when will teachers give us time to study?

on Apr. 16 2010 at 8:43 pm
Do all American students get hours of homework a night? I'm Canadian, but I rarely get much homework. I'm in Grade 11 in all university classes, but out of all the classes I've had throughout high school none have ever given me much homework. I'm not alone - I rarely hear people at my school complain about too much homework. Either we have really lenient teachers or we're doing something wrong. :P

on Apr. 16 2010 at 7:01 pm
bennyB PLATINUM, Memphis, Tennessee
I think that the teachers giving us a-lot of home work is great we will be prepered for college were we will be pushed and for the peole who have alife well your friends are not going to determine yout future

on Apr. 10 2010 at 10:45 pm
dxrider27 SILVER, Howard Beach, New York

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

i totally agree with you 100%. I hate homework and i get 2-3 hours a nite. And BTW, that was beautifully written, you should submit that to the scholastic art and writing awards for persuasive essay. You will definetly(spelled wrong) win!

on Apr. 9 2010 at 7:29 pm
s.williams0823 SILVER, Wilmington, Massachusetts

"We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are dull, some are pretty, some have weird names, and all are different colors... but they all have to learn to live in the same box."
~Anonymous

This is so true! My algebra class gets about an hour of homework every night and every weekend. My teacher is also new, so it may not be her fault but it is still quite obnoxious XP

Also, this article is beautifully written! You are only a seventh grader and you write with such flow...its amazing! Keep at this, this is a good thing to pursue.

Biscoff BRONZE said...
on Apr. 7 2010 at 6:04 pm
Biscoff BRONZE, Cottonwood Hieghts, Utah

"Give a man fire he'll be warm for the night, Set the man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his life"

I am going to print off copies of this article to show to all of my teachers. BTW i am in ninth grade and in my algebra class in just 6 weeks we had over 84 homework assignments (i counted on my school assignment login thingy) each was about 20 min long

robbi BRONZE said...
on Apr. 4 2010 at 3:37 pm
robbi BRONZE, Goldsboro, North Carolina

quotes are for people who are too uncreative to come up with their own sources of information.----ME.

Wow. I cant believe a teacher just asked for the opinion of a student.! I would be even more surprised if that teacher will take your opinion seriously.  Not judging....just saying I would be surprised!

robbi BRONZE said...
on Apr. 4 2010 at 3:32 pm
robbi BRONZE, Goldsboro, North Carolina

Wow! you have amazing writing skills. Especially concidering you are in the seventh grade.  It was perfectly written from beginning to end.  You should make a living out of this. Also, I completely agree with you.  Homework is a good thing to have, but too much is just the opposite.

on Apr. 3 2010 at 7:21 am
foreverwelsh BRONZE, Cardiff, Other

"Thin, like butter over too much bread" JRR Tolkien

I don't live in America, I live in Wales (UK), but I get bucket loads of homework every night. The only small mercy is that we don't get homework in the holidays until Year 10.

GO HOMEWORK REV!

on Apr. 2 2010 at 5:22 pm
evrycloudyday7 PLATINUM, Wappingers Falls, New York

"As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what counts." Seneca
"I'll just read a book instead. I don't care if we're just friends. I can hang out with myself I'm old enough now to pretend. Bam ba dum ba dum ba dum." kate n

im in the 11th grade and ive always had a lot of hw every year. this year is the worst. i get about 4 hours almost everyday. hard to believe but its true. its especially difficult 'cause im getting ready for my SATs and college. so the overdose of hw doesnt help my brain with everything else going on!!

on Apr. 2 2010 at 2:00 am
SemiVeggie SILVER, Bellevue, Washington
I'm in ninth grade, and I spend anywhere between 45 minutes and 3 hours on homework a night. (Thats counting long term projects, and papers, as well as studying for tests, all of which account for the large margin of error.)