The Homework Revolution This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

A young girl sits at her desk, reviewing her homework assignments for the evening. English: read three chapters and write a journal response. Math: complete 30 problems, showing all work. Science: do a worksheet, front and back. French: study vocabulary for tomorrow's test. It's going to be a long night.

This describes a typical weeknight for students across the country. Now is the time to start a homework revolution.

Do students in the United States receive too much homework? According to guidelines endorsed by the National Education Association (NEA), a student should be assigned no more than 10 minutes per grade level per night. For example, a first grader should only have 10 minutes of homework, a second grader, 20 minutes, and so on. This means that a student in my grade – seventh – should have no more than 70 minutes of work each night. Yet this is often doubled, sometimes even tripled!

There are negatives to overloading students. Have you ever heard of a child getting sick because of homework? According to William Crain, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at City College of New York and the author of Reclaiming Childhood, “Kids are developing more school-related stomachaches, headaches, sleep problems, and depression than ever before.” The average student is glued to his or her desk for almost seven hours a day. Add two to four hours of homework each night, and they are working a 45- to 55-hour week!

In addition, a student who receives excessive homework “will miss out on active playtime, essential for learning social skills, proper brain development, and warding off childhood obesity,” according to Harris Cooper, Ph.D., a professor of psychology and neuroscience at Duke University.

Everybody knows that teachers are the ones who assign homework, but they do not deserve all the blame. “Many teachers are under greater pressure than ever before,” says Kylene Beers, president of the National Council for Teachers of English and the author of When Kids Can't Read What Teachers Can Do. “Some of it comes from parents, some from the administration and the desire for high scores on standardized tests.” Teachers who are under pressure feel the need to assign more homework. But why aren't teachers aware of the NEA homework recommendations? Many have never heard of them, have never taken a course about good versus bad homework, how much to give, and the research behind it. And many colleges of education do not offer specific training in homework. Teachers are just winging it.

Although some teachers and parents believe that assigning a lot of homework is beneficial, a Duke University review of a number of studies found almost no correlation between homework and long-term achievements in elementary school and only a moderate correlation in middle school. “More is not better,” concluded Cooper, who conducted the review.

Is homework really necessary? Most teachers assign homework as a drill to improve memorization of material. While drills and repetitive exercises have their place in schools, homework may not be that place. If a student does a math worksheet with 50 problems but completes them incorrectly, he will likely fail the test. According to the U.S. Department of Education, most math teachers can tell after checking five algebraic equations whether a student understood the necessary concepts. Practicing dozens of homework problems incorrectly only cements the wrong method.

Some teachers believe that assigning more homework will help improve standardized test scores. However, in countries like the Czech Republic, Japan, and Denmark, which have higher-scoring students, teachers give little homework. The United States is among the most homework-intensive countries in the world for seventh and eighth grade, so more homework clearly does not mean a higher test score.

Some people argue that homework toughens kids up for high school, college, and the workforce. Too much homework is sapping students' strength, curiosity, and most importantly, their love of learning. Is that really what teachers and parents want?

If schools assign less homework, it would benefit teachers, parents, and students alike. Teachers who assign large amounts of homework are often unable to do more than spot-check answers. This means that many errors are missed. Teachers who assign less homework will be able to check it thoroughly. In addition, it allows a teacher time to focus on more important things. “I had more time for planning when I wasn't grading thousands of problems a night,” says math teacher Joel Wazac at a middle school in Missouri. “And when a student didn't understand something, instead of a parent trying to puzzle it out, I was there to help them.” The result of assigning fewer math problems: grades went up and the school's standardized math scores are the highest they've ever been. A student who is assigned less homework will live a healthy and happy life. The family can look forward to stress-free, carefree nights and, finally, the teachers can too.

Some schools are already taking steps to improve the issue. For example, Mason-Rice Elementary School in Newton, Massachusetts, has limited homework, keeping to the “10 minute rule.” Raymond Park Middle School in Indianapolis has written a policy instructing teachers to “assign homework only when you feel the assignment is valuable.” The policy also states, “A night off is better than homework which serves no worthwhile purpose.” Others, such as Oak Knoll Elementary School in Menlo Park, California, have considered eliminating homework altogether. If these schools can do it, why can't everyone?

So, my fellow Americans, it's time to stop the insanity. It's time to start a homework revolution.

Candy said...
I don't think low test ranks in the US have to do with homework. It has to do with lazy students who avoid studying and education in contrast to playing video games for 10 hours straight. Okay, so Japanese students get little homework. Only because they go to school 6 days a week. 6 days = more studying. So again, my point is, if more students spent as much time on studying and education as they did texting their friends or uploading pics on myspace, then the US rank would increase TREMENDOUSLY.

SpaceKing800 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 5, 2009 at 8:04 pm :
We can also gain that test level through less homework and strenous teaching. Just like Japan or the Czech republic.

Nora:D replied...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:17 pm :
Candy: I`d have to agree with this article. The ten minute rule is there for a reason; to not strain kids. Yes, being smart is good, but where will you get with that if you don`t have friend-time to practice those socializing skills that all of us will need later on in our lives? We need them to give speeches, express our opinions, and even have a chance to leave a mark on the world community.

Rismee123 said...
I hope we can get a school around my house like this then I would TOTALLY go there!!!!
I am goin to tell every one about this article so they can post what they think!!!
I think we should try and start our own
HOMEWORK REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov. 5, 2009 at 4:39 pm :
That's the spirit!

Letters345 replied...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 12:42 pm :
Great Idea! i'll help

Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:03 pm :
Thanks! We need to start something new, something fresh. Us teenagers/kids need to stand up for what's right! It's our time to start a homework revolution!
(I'm working on a website, so I'll give the link once it is up.)

doglover95 replied...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:42 pm :
COOL! i helping too!

Nov. 9, 2009 at 5:00 pm :
O.K.! Go right ahead!

Letters345 replied...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:26 pm :
Awesome! How 'bought a protest at our schools?Get other kids to join in, too!!! Remember, determination always makes it work!

Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:39 pm :
A protest would be a fine idea. Once I get my site up and running, we could make t-shirts, signs, petitions, etc. We have a word in our government, too!

Letters345 replied...
Nov. 10, 2009 at 11:11 am :
Minors or not, we can do stuff, too! It's not fair the adults get to do stuff! We NEED to DO something!!!! POWER TO THE KIDS!!!!!

Letters345 replied...
Nov. 10, 2009 at 11:13 am :
We can run the goverment better than the adults, is all I'm saying, and that includes NO MORE HOMEWORK!!!

Nov. 10, 2009 at 3:09 pm :
We have a better idea of what's going on in our community.

Nov. 10, 2009 at 5:56 pm :
(Please, moderators, don't delete this. It is a website for fellow Homework Revolutionaries. Not a spam website, that's for sure!)
http://homeworkrevolution.blogspot.com/

Rismee123 said...
Awsome I totally agree with this even though I would love to have NO homework!!!
My brother and mom agree they spend almost 3 hours a night with homework so they are really tired then we have to eat
Even though I would luv!!!!!!!!! to have no homework it would be so much better to have only seven since I am in seventh and he is in fifth!!!!!!!!!!

doglover95 replied...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:41 pm :
wow fifth graders get allot of homework and my bro in fifth! he gets more homework than me! and i in seventh grade! i feel so bad for my brother and my mom

padme said...
this is so true on so many levels. when i was in middle school, i had so much homework, my parents had to write to the teachers to get them to give me extra time. now im a senior, and i get little to no homework every night. my little sister in middle school has more homework then me.

Nov. 3, 2009 at 4:59 pm :
Do you see the possibility of change? It's repulsive how many kids end up having to give up their beloved grade average to a non-worthy reason of non-completion. When you are a dedicated student, and you spend hours on end on homework, there must be something wrong. Alas, the teachers, the schools, the state ignore these liable facts.

Rismee123 replied...
Nov. 5, 2009 at 3:51 pm :
yea i totally agree because i have always had an A in my english classes but since i have to cram my brain with things for all of my other junior high classesi am not getting as much time to study for my english science and my math
also i have no other time to myself exept for weekends if i have time ussually i am craming for another test on the next day so i can hardly sleep or study for the quizes i am to have the next day
another thing is that i do not get anoph sleep so i am ... (more »)

Nov. 5, 2009 at 4:42 pm :
I know what you mean, my friend. It is that type of situation that inspired me to write such an essay. It was originally meant for a homework assignment, but I never expected it would become so popular!