Is homework really worth it? | Teen Ink

Is homework really worth it?

By mcooney26 BRONZE, Nairobi, Other
mcooney26 BRONZE, Nairobi, Other

Since the nineteenth century, the continuous debate if homework should stay in the basic structure and foundation of a schooling curriculum is still an occurrence today. We are moving more into the twenty-first century, meaning more and more research is coming out to see the effect and impact assigning homework has on students, primarily middle and high school teenagers. 

Being assigned homework from a younger age can help children develop essential disciplines. Disciplines that will assist them in feeling more equipped when it comes to having to study for an exam or simply stepping outside their comfort zone. Repeating a task multiple times can feel arduous, though it is necessary to help increase a child's skill and understanding of a subject. It gives them structure when needing to control their workload and increases their time management skills. Homework is with a deadline, and taking ownership of this deadline helps them think independently and develop problem-solving skills. 

Nevertheless, homework acts as a bridge. It allows teachers and parents to learn more about how students like to absorb information and grow. Some children struggle to learn outside their comfort zone, and while classrooms are designed to be warm and welcoming, there is often no place like home. Homework is an opportunity to learn and retain information in an environment where they feel most comfortable. "Doing regular homework should be considered an investment in your child's future" (Nord). 

However, as much as the distribution of homework toward students is both productive and effective, we must explore other perspectives and attitudes on this issue. Though homework has long been a staple of education, experts disagree on whether it improves academic achievement. Some critics argue that homework is harmful to a child's educational development. Initially, schools would set homework to help kids practice material presented in class to reinforce learning and facilitate mastery at home in a safe and comforting learning environment. Over the years, studies have slowly begun investigating how teachers setting homework for children seems to have a different effect. 

As much as homework has permitted increased test scores and exam results, there has been a significant drop when mental health comes into play. More homework assigned to high school and middle school students can lead to stress, sleep deprivation, and mental health issues and disorders. It is not fair for children who come home after a long day of school to have expectations to meet a deadline that will count as more than half their grade. Assigning more work for students over time can lead to demotivation to do much outside of the classroom walls. Setting too much homework can become draining and discourage innovation and inventiveness. "Regardless of where you stand on the homework debate, a few things are certain: If homework is given, it should be a tool to enhance learning" (Lohmann).

Looking at both sides, I have to consider how useful and effective homework has had for me. Reading is highly beneficial when revising for either an upcoming test or exam; it allows you to reflect and review past material and assignments. Notwithstanding the routine of coming home from a long day at school, noticing you have more work to do can lead to children feeling stuck in a routine that you cannot escape. I understand that homework is here to stay as it plays a considerable role in schools' curriculums. However, if that is the case, it has to be more moderately set. Teachers need to understand the significance of oversetting assignments on students, physically and mentally. 

They apprehended that the debate if homework should continue being a solid pillar in educational curricula for children will remain challenged and discussed amongst schools worldwide. The best possible solution is to let schools know the tightrope they are walking on when assigning more work to students. Schools should take action and talk to each other to help understand how their students are feeling. Examples include town hall meetings or simply talking with a trusted adult in your school community. Every voice is important. Even the smallest act can lead to change.