Being Successful Is My Goal | Teen Ink

Being Successful Is My Goal

¨You will never get anywhere in your broken life because youŕe useless and bad luck everywhere you go. Everything you touch.¨

I was told this, by one of the people I love, care about, and cherish most in my life. It hurt me. It literally tore me apart. It hurt me so much to the point where I felt as if I was a burden to everyone. Even my own family. Sooner or later, those words came true. All the dreams and wishes I wished to come true, instead it was my nightmare. Being alone. Growing up, many people were only there temporarily, many things have broken in my power, those hurtful words that pained me back then, came back to haunt me. But now, I will be the bigger person and take those words I once called hurtful, as a motivation. I will get to anywhere I want. Iĺl need to finish high school strong, apply for scholarships with the help of my counselors as much as I can, apply for financial aid, find the best college that suits me, and get my associate, bachelor, or even masterś degree in Nursing. Then i’ll need to find a temporary job that can help me pay off school, books, necessities, and go on little vacations/trips to be with my loved one. I will try my absolute hardest to do all I need to get there. Success. Iĺl see those who have doubted me, from the top.

I do not want to become homeless and poor ever again. But I can honestly say, that having that miserable experience has taught me to thrive for the better. Its taught me the pain of not having what others have and have taken for granted.  And to accept all given opportunities when granted. During my poverty state, I was really unhealthy. I had kidney failure. I had no insurance. I was almost at the brink of facing death, looking at death straight in the eye. Being homeless caused me pain, depression, and a whole lot of suffering. This also happened to be the time where many had looked down on me, and I began taking in otherś opinions. Which led me to start doubting myself. And my existence. I wanted what others had, but also kept in my mind and heart that, someone out there needs what I have. I was then passed down to my biological fatherś custody, and it was he, who gave me the chance and opportunity, to make my life worth living, become the best me, and prove those who doubted me wrong. Because of my father and all the bills he paid for my health, I promised myself to begin a healthy life and do whatever it takes to be fit and healthy. Money may be just an object but it’s something you work your whole life for. And it was such a shame to see my father who was never there in my life growing up, pay for my medical and accept me into his life and family. I started taking better care of myself, I started seeing better things in life, I was pushed every single day to do good in school so one day I will have the life I have always dreamt of. My first step, is to finish high school strong and with an average, or even better, exceeding gpa for all my subjects.

As of right now, I am a junior in high school with IB classes, with satisfactory grades, and achievable goals. The last 2 years that I’ve been in high school, I managed to maintain a 3.5 gpa. And I intend to keep it that way or higher. I also hope to get really good SAT scores so I can get a higher chance of getting accepted to Fresno State. So I will study very hard and take my PSAT test seriously to get to the next step of doing my actual SAT. I am very close to finishing my A-G requirements and I’ve completed 3 years of a college preparation class called AVID that I started on since middle school. To get into Fresno State, I must accomplish these 3 steps first.

When I go to Fresno State, I will take all of the required classes into getting my nursing degree in either bachelor or master. I will earn my undergraduate degree in nursing, take all opportunities to gain experience with working with patients and other nurses, get my nurse practitioner master’s degree, pass all state and national certification exams, and finally earn the title of being a nurse.   

Again, back to when I had self doubts about myself, I also doubted my whole existence and did not realize how much of a gift life itself is. Years after years, I have learned to accept my life and move on from my broken past and memories. I hoped to one day become the best I could ever be. The day I moved in with my father, I promised myself that I would do everything it takes to make beautiful memories, stay strong as I’ve always been, enjoy laughter, begin a healthy life, and stay positive. I’ve come to realize that life was too short to be filled with sadness and negativity. Suffering from the past was not the way to go. I’ve learned that the hard way, and came to accept that the past really cannot be changed no matter how much I want. And because of all the pain I went through, I will move on, and thrive for all the greater things life has.

Education was a sacrifice my ancestors and parents were willing to give up so I could have it. I will not let them down. Being successful is all that any one can get in order to live in this society.