The Mediocre Child | Teen Ink

The Mediocre Child

By edwardkim0110 BRONZE, Diamond Bar, California
edwardkim0110 BRONZE, Diamond Bar, California

To most of society, success is traditionally regarded as being wealthy and being free to participate in the luxurious pleasures of life--beautiful landscapes with sparkling waterfalls, sleek red-hot Lamborghinis, and pools the size of oceans in one’s backyard. 

As an Asian-American teenager, academic achievement has been the center of my world at the expense of more holistic learning experiences that teach compassion, integrity, and the importance of relationships. From conducting stem cell research with a renown professor in hopes of attending an Ivy League school to writing poetry for various competitions, the intense focus on academic activities has resulted in extreme competition and pressure. 

But to me, success has nothing to do with the number of hundred dollar bills in my Gucci wallet or achieving the unachievable 5.0 GPA. Why shouldn’t I be able to work a modest job as long as I am happy hanging out with my friends and eating my Chinese takeout? Just as benchwarmers and water boys should get recognition for being a loyal and supportive part of the team, teenagers should be praised for the little things whether it’s rescuing a cat from a tree or giving emotional support to a struggling friend. These actions can pave the way for future firefighters or therapists who give back to their community in ways that are uniquely meaningful to them. 

That’s why I believe that finding and spreading happiness should be life’s ultimate goal rather than the typical dream of a luxurious lifestyle. Success doesn’t have to be being the nation’s best cardiovascular surgeon or having the highest net worth. Personally, I want a job that will let me work from home so I can spend more time with loved ones, whether it’s playing another round of League of Legends or hosting a barbeque in my backyard. My hope is that parents can read Margaret Renkl’s article and find ways to support their children in doing what they love instead of pressuring them to meet society’s standards of success.