The Concept of Beauty

Wouldn’t it be nice to have the life of a caterpillar? Grow up and turn into a beautiful butterfly with flamboyant colors and abstract patterns. Wouldn’t it be nice to know that you will become a better you?         

Beauty is an interesting concept. You can either look at beauty as merely the outside of a person; their cover. Or, you can look at what’s on the inside; their pages, their contents. You can define beauty for yourself, but for me, beauty and the concept of being beautiful, is all about the contents of a person. We are too focused on the cover. Don’t judge a book by it’s cover right? Well don’t judge a person only by their face.               

We live in a world that profits from girls and boys thinking that they’ll never grow up to be a butterfly. They’ll never grow up to be considered “attractive” because how we look determines our worth. Or at least that’s what it seems like sometimes.   

To me, beauty is about your soul. Being kind and generous makes you beautiful. Being a good person and helping others makes you beautiful. Being selfless makes you beautiful.  Beauty is so much more than what we realize.      

When you think about your future (you, the caterpillar) focus more and how you will grow as a person, rather than how much prettier you’ll be in a few years. Tke a moment and think, if you do  grow up and become a butterfly, will that make you truly beautiful?