I Dont Believe in | Teen Ink

I Dont Believe in

By jenniferb BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
jenniferb BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

I don’t believe in being a size zero. People believe that being skinny enough to see their ribs through their shirts is beautiful. I don’t believe that. Don’t get me wrong, I have plenty of insecure moments, and at times I’m disappointed by the face that stares back at me in a mirror. But I think that the way the media portrays women is unfair. Being beautiful does not mean being the best looking, or the skinniest. Beauty is being confident in you. The way we have been programmed to think is that those people we see on TV and in magazines, the celebrities that they look one hundred percent gorgeous 24/7. Truth is, they don’t. Their pictures we see of them are almost always retouched and airbrushed to make them look perfect. Or when they go out, they have a team of people who make them look that way. It’s the people who can walk around in jeans and a t-shirt, or even sweatpants and cozy sweatshirts, with no make-up embracing all their imperfections that to me is being beautiful. Every one of us comes in different shapes and sizes. Size zero does not rule the world. Being what others tell you is perfect and acceptable, is not true. If we all just be confident in how we act and how we look it’s our flaws and personalities that will get us noticed. It won’t be the length of my legs, the width of my shape, the clearness of my face, or the color and shine of my hair. I don’t believe in beauty as just looks it’s everything inside of you that shines through and screams, “I’m not perfect, but love me anyway.”

on Apr. 22 2014 at 7:07 am
TanazMasaba GOLD, Dhaka, Other

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's Heaven on Earth."

---William W. Purkey

Nothing mentioned here that made me go "whoa i didn't think of that" cause this is a serious issue these days and something that a lot of people keep writing about anyway. i think it would have been better if you could like show both perspectives, and interview girls on this subjects and write how they feel...because your subject is a concern-raising one and instead of going on and on about what you want to say, giving an accurate first-hand glimpse of the effect this has on people would be better.

on May. 1 2011 at 8:48 pm
krazykathleen BRONZE, Edwardsville, Illinois

"7/5 of all people do not understand fractions." -Unknown

I never said you were ragging. And i completely understand your point. The only thing I said was that be careful about grouping everyone who's skinny into a big category because some of us can't help it. That's all.

on Apr. 24 2011 at 8:49 am
jenniferb BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
im not even ragging on thin girls or you being thin. if you think i am you've completely missed the point of the article. The point is that girls dont need to think they have to be the thinnest size out there to be beautiful. if your size zero or double zero thats wonderful. im size 4 and im not complaining. The point is that girls who are size 4 or whatever dont need to look in the mirror and think i need to lose weight to become that size 0. they can be proud and happy the way they are. i appreciate your words but dont criticize someones article if you dont understand the point.

juliaa said...
on Dec. 10 2010 at 10:59 am
hey im from cincinnati to! lol i like this artical to

on Nov. 20 2010 at 9:51 pm
SkyDeer PLATINUM, Mebane, North Carolina

Respect the nerds, they will be your boss someday- The Computer Guy.
The best is yet to come and baby won't it be fine- A band.
Defiant is the best word in the dictionary!

Amen to that!

on Aug. 3 2010 at 1:56 pm

Thanks youveleftmespeechless! To the author: I understand what you're trying to say. In my comment I mentioned that the stuff you were saying about the media is true, just not the size zero part. I really don't want to get into a big todo.

on Aug. 2 2010 at 9:38 pm
jenniferb BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
i understand where your coming from, but im not grouping all size zeros and trying to talk smack about them. im trying to emphasize that media and the way they percieve girls is that skinny is what you have to be if you want to be considered beautiful. You can be any shape size color. You dont have to be the skinniest person to be beautiful.

on Aug. 2 2010 at 8:03 pm
Thank you krazykathleen! I completely agree. There's an article you should read, on this site, "Proud to be a Double-Zero," it perfectly describes the other side of the weight-bias situation.

on Aug. 2 2010 at 5:54 pm

This is becoming tiresome- there are so many articles on TeenInk about this topic. You said "I don't believe in being a size zero." Well I happen to be a size zero. I'm not bragging nor gloating, but it's not really right for you to say that, because you're grouping everyone who's skinny into a big catergory. Sure there are freakishly skinny and anorexic girls out there. But I for one LOVE to eat (Heehee ask my friends) and I just don't gain weight. I'm thin, but you can't see my ribs. There's nothing I can do about being a size zero. I don't mean to rip apart your article, and don't get me wrong, a lot of this is true! I'm just tired of people ragging on thin girls because they make it sound as if EVERYONE trys to be thin and they're anorexic and all, and this isn't always the case.

Thanks for reading my rant.

Oh and P.S., there is such a thing as a size "Double Zero." Just to let you know. :)

on Jul. 11 2010 at 1:14 am
MumblingMelanie DIAMOND, Jackson, Missouri

Don't be a victim; be a titan.

Perhaps a little cliche, but what isn't these days?

Needs to be said and heard nonetheless.

Lovely =D