I Dont Believe in | Teen Ink

I Dont Believe in

October 8, 2009
By jenniferb BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
jenniferb BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

I don’t believe in being a size zero. People believe that being skinny enough to see their ribs through their shirts is beautiful. I don’t believe that. Don’t get me wrong, I have plenty of insecure moments, and at times I’m disappointed by the face that stares back at me in a mirror. But I think that the way the media portrays women is unfair. Being beautiful does not mean being the best looking, or the skinniest. Beauty is being confident in you. The way we have been programmed to think is that those people we see on TV and in magazines, the celebrities that they look one hundred percent gorgeous 24/7. Truth is, they don’t. Their pictures we see of them are almost always retouched and airbrushed to make them look perfect. Or when they go out, they have a team of people who make them look that way. It’s the people who can walk around in jeans and a t-shirt, or even sweatpants and cozy sweatshirts, with no make-up embracing all their imperfections that to me is being beautiful. Every one of us comes in different shapes and sizes. Size zero does not rule the world. Being what others tell you is perfect and acceptable, is not true. If we all just be confident in how we act and how we look it’s our flaws and personalities that will get us noticed. It won’t be the length of my legs, the width of my shape, the clearness of my face, or the color and shine of my hair. I don’t believe in beauty as just looks it’s everything inside of you that shines through and screams, “I’m not perfect, but love me anyway.”