Mood Swings | Teen Ink

Mood Swings

March 3, 2015
By jennaenglish BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
jennaenglish BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In today’s society, it is rare to see a teen without a cell phone in their hand. Eight out of ten teens say that they could not go an entire day without their cell phone with them, even if they were not going to receive any text messages or phone calls. It is clear to see that generations today are not the same as they were in the past. Technology and social media have brought a wave of effects on the developing lives of teens everywhere. With a constant flow of what’s happening around the world at their fingertips, it can alter their moods causing them stress, anxiety, and can even lower their self-esteem. How, one may think, could something as easy as using a cellular device make someone feel many different emotions? Things like cyber bullying, arguments with friends and being ignored can definitely affect someone’s mood.


Cyber bullying has caused much strain on teens self-esteem. Apps like Facebook, Twitter, and Yik Yak have given teens the ability to willingly post whatever they would like into the social world. Over half of teens have been a victim of cyber bullying, making them feel bad about himself or herself to the point of depression or even suicide.
Cell phones have allowed for people to be able to communicate to anyone they would like at any point in time giving them the capability to continue on verbal arguments. A misinterpretation of a text can send someone into a spiral of emotions and will ultimately put a strain on the relationship between these two people all from something that should have been talked about face to face.


Being talked bad about or ignored is something that no one wants to experience. Constantly waiting for someone to text back can bring about many feelings of anxiety and worthlessness. Technology and social media are definitely major factors in causing teens emotional distress during the precious time of brain development.