A Selfish Revolution | Teen Ink

A Selfish Revolution

By kerrym BRONZE, Montrose, California
kerrym BRONZE, Montrose, California

"The stars are brightest during the darkest of nights"

Every New Year, the human race decides to create this life list of goals to achieve. We base it off of such things ranging from something as simple as weight loss to something as complicated as love. Why? Why not focus on something as broad as spot lighting ourselves? Focus on you. Be selfish.
For years now, I desired to acquire the task of love. Who doesn’t? I have always craved to have someone lust after me and want no one but me. This year, I am vowing to desire something quite different. I want to lust after myself and want to yearn no one but me. I want to be selfish.
Yes, this may sound vain and extremely egotistical. I am aware of this. But why not try something contrasting to the norm? I am a struggling college student with low self-esteem and an even lower bank account accumulation. I am sick of depending on others constantly, whether its for my mother’s financial aiding or my crush’s attention for confidence. It’s high time to move on. Sometimes one must focus on themself and be selfish.
Just think about it. This New Years resolution may actually be the hardest one’s tackled yet. How many times have you revolved your resolutions to please others around you, whether its to impress the smokin’ guy you see walking around campus (that you’ve probably only spoken to once) or its to impress your peers or coworkers? Impress yourself! Be selfish.
If one of your resolutions this year is to be healthier, do it for YOU. If you are going to attempt to dress less like a homeless person, do it for YOU. If you are going to be more open-minded, do it for YOU. If you’re going to go out and get a new job, do it for YOU. Pay attention to yourself. This year, make it about no one else but yourself. Go on, be selfish. After all, according to Gautama Buddha, “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.”

I wrote this to inspire those to reach outside their comfort zones. Personally, I feel as though I am usually revolving my New Year resolutions around impressing others and pleasing everyone but myself. I believe it is time to break away from that.