Jinx Factor | Teen Ink

Jinx Factor

By Sally Losinske SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Sally Losinske SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

This common phrase seems to apply to the superiority of people – beauty is only skin deep. Piercings and tattoos appear on parts of bodies, covering true identities. The article “Tattoo You,” by David Cass, revealed body artwork from the television show “Eye of the Beholder” such as a “lip plug,” which is a stake driven through the bottom lip and detailed tattoos burned onto the skin with a surgical needle.
With this individual body artwork unveiled, the phrase failed its purpose. People’s beauty is bare, showing off scars of ink is not true beauty. In “Tattoo You,” Cass questions the intent of tattoos when “Eye of the Beholder’s” ultimate message is, “It’s what’s on the inside that matters.” Cass asks, “so, why the nose thing?” Why do people endure pain to change the originally of themselves? Some observe the natural artwork and creativity of the tattooed, while others turn in disgust.
Society looks for distinct characteristics in citizens: honesty, responsibility, respectfulness, and loyalty. Piercings are not one of these valued qualities. Society sees pins and needles through hands as a sign of danger and warning. People with these do not picture themselves as different, just enhanced with other features. The public fear these people as criminals, gunmen, and cannibals. Piercings also cause ruckus in the work atmosphere. The majority of people see them as distracting, unprofessional, and inappropriate. The work environment needs to be a spotless and orderly place with protocols. People must consider the consequences before stabbing a pin through their left eyebrow.

Art, in the eyes of Fakir Musafar, a lead guru, explains the Native-American body norms. Through the Native-American societies do follow the tradition of permanent body artwork, there are other traditions that can be followed that do not injury their bodies. Activities such as pow-wows and spiritually speaking to the gods should be taken up instead of engraving ink on the body. Instead of ink, the Native-Americans could use coal for their face art, not causing harm to themselves. Finding alternatives leave people protected, while still containing the Native-American artwork.
Natural beauty, the essence of who you are, is blurred with piercings and tattoos becoming a regular mark on bodies. Through people say tattoos represent art, tattoos cover up of their true selves. “Tattoo You” tells of Angel, a woman with 40 piercings that “There is no doubt that I’m a woman in charge of my destiny. My life, my body. In every way. I’m very empowered by it.” Are the piercings ideal to make yourself feel more confident? Yes, having metal stabbed through my face does sound appetizing. Not really.
Companies such as Dove have introduced self-esteem interventions, showing that beauty is all natural. Maybe these suckers who make daily trips to local tattoo parlors should attend.
People have their opinions on their personal images and how they feel in their ink filled skin. What happened to the phrase, be who you are and nothing else? When the needle starts to buzz to life each session, aren’t people covering up who they are in the inside with potent ink rather than shine through with natural beauty? Our society needs to bring back natural and not trying to improve our bodies with damaging chemicals.