Above the Influence...of Muisc

Flashback to the late 1960's - Jim Morrison- despite his aclaimed insanity he writes poetry. Jim's poems become songs. His poetry meant something, a comment on life, with substance and a point of view. Okay, now let's come back to the future. I cannot help but notice that when listening to the radio, that most if not all the songs i hear that day have to do with: drugs, sex, alcohol, getting arrested etc. Now, why are we so suprised at "kids these days" who drink, smoke, get pregnant and rebel against every authoritative figure they encounter? Music is the lifeline to teenagers- it gives us something to believe in. Example, if your favorite song is "Bottoms Up", then you're likely to be into drinking too ( or you at least act like you are to look cool). Now maybe I'm a little bit biased because i don't particularly like a lot of songs that other teenagers do and often end up in awkward situations saying "ohh...no...i DONT know that song, sorry". But the music I listen to has meaning that goes beyond Taylor Swift's catchy lyrics about making up and braking up; and Usher's songs placing importance ONLY on the appearance of women. We need music that can teach us valuable lessons, that can truely speak to young minds and prevent today's youth from falling even farther into oblivion. Not to mention the materialistic songs today about cars and money, which in effect has convinced many teens that money and fame doesn't involve hard work- when it looks SO awesome in music videos. I'm not saying that everyone should listen to The Doors, The Who and Led Zeppelin (my personal favorites) for the rest of their lives. If you want to listen to the popular music, and that's what you're into that's great; just keep in mind what the lyrics are really saying. And just because your favorite artist wrote it, that doesn't mean they're a good example for how you should live your own life. Control your own mind. Be your own person, we need more of those.

bunbunthegerman said...
Thanks its so refreshing to know that there are other people out there not lacking enough of a mind to listen to music with substance :) hearing other peoples' opinions are exactly what im looking for!

ashwater1 said...

Yeah!! The Who, The Clash, The Doors, The Ramones... Green Day I love and they're more recent... I really like your article and it instantly caught my eye. I'm actually proud when someone says "Hey, did you hear that new song with Drake and Nicki Minaj... Usher... Trey Songz..." and I shake my head. " Nope. But there's this really cool song by The Ramones..."

(That's usually when I get a confused look, like 'Who the... are The Ramones????) :)

musicismylifeline said...
my favorite bands are U2, Genesis and Owl Cit. I hate it when I turn on the radio and hear something like, say, Teenage Dream, which was a huge hit but very explicit.

JRsingersongwriter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this article! And I appreciate someone who agrees that Taylor Swift isn't all that great. Don't get me wrong; I totally respect her - but I wish she could write more songs that don't have to do with love. And Usher is a total bad example also - just think how Justin Bieber is gonna be in a few years! My personal faves w/ music are Kelly Clarkson and Kris Allen ;)

bunbunthegerman replied...
Thanks so much! Music is such an important part of my life, and means so much to me. And Kelly Clarkson is great