Texting Oh Texting | Teen Ink

Texting Oh Texting

By Connor10 BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
Connor10 BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

Should kids be able to text in school? I think they should be able to for these reasons. It is like if I have good grades and I pay attention in class why should I not be allowed to text in school? In my opinion students should be allowed to text in school because what if something bad happened we could text someone to get help. There is a computer system that some teachers have and it is where the teachers will ask a question on the board and the kids can text the answer and the answer pops onto the board. Using what students like and think is cool is a great way for us to have fun while learning.

Also, kids should be allowed to text in school because if they become sick or need to call their parents to pick them up they would be able too. They could just text them, and their parents would then be able to get them. Texting in school would make school as fun as going to the beach on a warm sunny day. Sometimes during school I just want to scream because it is so hard not to text all day. It is our way of talking so I get frustrated and depressed to not be able to talk my way.

One day in a teachers classroom, I was texting my girlfriend about if we had homework in the next class and I did get caught by the teacher. I had to call home which is as scary as walking in a dark empty haunted house. I got into trouble and lost my phone for 2 weeks and my girlfriend did too. It should just be allowed so that we don’t get into trouble. Being able to text in school would make school as easy as robbing a birds nest.

I have just heard of a system that is coming out and it is where you can put stories onto your phone. Then you just read the story off your phone. In my opinion, I think that this would be more fun than just reading a story out of the book. I would be exciting, fun, and energizing because it was using something I always had with me. Also, if you get to be using your phone in school the teachers can make rules like you would not be able to use your phone if you have a C or lower, so then you do not get as distracted and you would have to work really hard to keep your grades up. Another is that if you get a referral in the past month you can not bring your phone to any class. Finally, if you are late to class you can not use your phone for the day. That would keep me on track with all of my teachers.

Students should be able to text because then the teachers do not have to raise their voices they can just text the kids. Also, instead of using a planner they can put it all in their phone because they always have their phones with them. One more good thing about being able to text in school is because you could text your teacher or a friend them if you are sick and to get your work.

For safety, education, and fun reasons we should be able to use our phones in school. This way we can tell our parents that we love them if we are put in a dangerous situation, we could use if for learning, and we can be able to talk in the way that most teenagers uses now which is texing.

nixofred said...
this article is helpful because i need to know what kids think about texting in school for an article that i am writing!

nixofred said...
WeLveForScars is right! this article is ridiculous and i completely agree!!

on Feb. 21 2011 at 10:48 am
paleteenager PLATINUM, Fountain Hills, Arizona
I completely agree.

on Feb. 21 2011 at 10:47 am

I was hoping that maybe this was a joke. I mean, you seriously are arguing the fact that you should be able to "talk your way"? This is what we are becoming. A nation who can't even have face to face conversations anymore, because we hide behind words on a screen. This article is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read and is a prime example of the lazy, uneducated society we are slowly approaching.

beautifuldisaster18, Arlington, Texas

Keep your feet on the ground, When your head's in the clouds.

Sorry, but, I have to disagree with you. If teacher's are texting their students then they really aren't taking control of the class.

I don't think it's a big deal if you're sick and need to call your parents, but the school has a phone that you can use. You don't really need your phone. And if you have good grades then just start texting because you pay attention doesn't mean it will stay that way when you're allowed to start texting. Allowing texting in schools probably wouldn't be a smart choice on the school's part.

123abc456 said...

Thank you! That is exactly how I feel.

on Jun. 2 2010 at 11:01 am
ashlock6 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
I think the advancments in portable technology is making our nation stupid and not self-sufficient, as is, asking for tho option to text in class is fueling that fire. If you don't want to learn, nothing is going to make you learn, not even the privelage of having your phone; the truth is people around you want to learn, and you need to respect that. Also, the fact that your instructors have put forth the effort to teach you and deserve respect and cooperation from their students(within reason). :)

123abc456 said...

Does anyone agree with me at all?

coco_babe BRONZE, Dapto, Other
i really agree with Muzic4MeAlways

Muzic4MeAlwayz SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

"Love is a perfect bond of union."

although i agree with you, i think the reason for the no phones or texting in school thing is some ppl would take texting in school as an opportunity to cheat or Just not pay attention...But i would like to text in school seems more fun

123abc456 said...
The only real reason why you want to text is to do something like text your girlfriend. Texting in class would make you not pay attention to the teacher and therefore not learn. I agree that you should be able to have your cell phone on you while at school, but being allowed to text in class would be the stupidest move the school could ever make. And the teachers texting the kids to ask them to quiet down? Give me a break.

abc123 said...
i think we should too i mean that would be so cool but i=think about it we would all me texting instead of listening!

bubblegum10 said...
i think we should text...... it sucks that we cant