Texting Oh Texting

Should kids be able to text in school? I think they should be able to for these reasons. It is like if I have good grades and I pay attention in class why should I not be allowed to text in school? In my opinion students should be allowed to text in school because what if something bad happened we could text someone to get help. There is a computer system that some teachers have and it is where the teachers will ask a question on the board and the kids can text the answer and the answer pops onto the board. Using what students like and think is cool is a great way for us to have fun while learning.

Also, kids should be allowed to text in school because if they become sick or need to call their parents to pick them up they would be able too. They could just text them, and their parents would then be able to get them. Texting in school would make school as fun as going to the beach on a warm sunny day. Sometimes during school I just want to scream because it is so hard not to text all day. It is our way of talking so I get frustrated and depressed to not be able to talk my way.

One day in a teachers classroom, I was texting my girlfriend about if we had homework in the next class and I did get caught by the teacher. I had to call home which is as scary as walking in a dark empty haunted house. I got into trouble and lost my phone for 2 weeks and my girlfriend did too. It should just be allowed so that we don’t get into trouble. Being able to text in school would make school as easy as robbing a birds nest.

I have just heard of a system that is coming out and it is where you can put stories onto your phone. Then you just read the story off your phone. In my opinion, I think that this would be more fun than just reading a story out of the book. I would be exciting, fun, and energizing because it was using something I always had with me. Also, if you get to be using your phone in school the teachers can make rules like you would not be able to use your phone if you have a C or lower, so then you do not get as distracted and you would have to work really hard to keep your grades up. Another is that if you get a referral in the past month you can not bring your phone to any class. Finally, if you are late to class you can not use your phone for the day. That would keep me on track with all of my teachers.

Students should be able to text because then the teachers do not have to raise their voices they can just text the kids. Also, instead of using a planner they can put it all in their phone because they always have their phones with them. One more good thing about being able to text in school is because you could text your teacher or a friend them if you are sick and to get your work.

For safety, education, and fun reasons we should be able to use our phones in school. This way we can tell our parents that we love them if we are put in a dangerous situation, we could use if for learning, and we can be able to talk in the way that most teenagers uses now which is texing.

AWESOMENESS said...
today at 10:44 am:
I think that you should be able to text in school. HI MOM!!!!!!  (\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

shedd918 said...
Jan. 31 at 10:09 am:
yeah texting should be allowed

sassy replied...
today at 10:45 am :
Totally agree

J1029This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 6, 2012 at 9:24 pm:
Truth be told, at my school we can text in my school

awesome said...
Ok first of all texting can give you a good experience for school. It would be quiter and be good for kids to get interaction. So just shut your mouth.

BlueRain said...
"If something bad happens": Unless you go to a school where there's some kind of local gang activity, I don't think there's anything to worry about. And who exactly are you going to text, your friend? How are they going to help? If you have a phone just speak into it. "Text answer on the board": So is speaking not cool now? Is communicating your ideas vocally just too difficult? "If they become sick": Schools have phones you know. If you have the concentration to text something to your parents... (more »)

Aspiringauhor said...
Dec. 4, 2011 at 10:28 am:
I don't mean to offend you, but I know this comment will. Let me start by saying that the mechanics and grammar in this piece were terrible. Obviously, you don't pay enough attention in school. That alone convinces me that phones should not be allowed. Also, your reasons literally made me laugh out loud. To quote you, "For safety, education, and fun reasons, we should be able to use our phones in school." Fun reasons? Really? If you want me to even begin to think about taking you seriously, I su... (more »)

AriShine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 19, 2012 at 3:37 pm :
I wanted to comment on this article, but you said everything I wanted to say. I totally agree with you.

krshiga said...
May 21, 2011 at 12:40 pm:
The argument is weak, the excuses are childish, and the grammar is enough to drive an english teacher mad. Please tell me that this is a joke.

misswindsor replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 8:56 am :
I totally agree with you. The most funny part was, " Texting in school would make school fun like going to the beach on a warm summer day." School not suppose to be fun, you suppose to learn. P.S. if you do get sick in school it's call you go to the nurse or main office so they can call your parents.

Katsview This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 1, 2012 at 8:29 pm :
I agree- and quite honestly, everyone has enough distractions without texting! Also, "being able to text in school would make school as easy as robbing a bird's nest"? Actually, it would make it harder, because you wouldn't focus as much and therefore, do worse than you would otherwise. It might improve your social life, but school should be a priority over texting!

Aduke9 replied...
Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:48 pm :
School would certaintly be easier: You could have your friend text you the answers to a quiz or something. Unless you have a teacher with hawk eyes.

jbieber said...
May 21, 2011 at 12:36 pm:
omg this was AMAZING, i reely liked this essay!!! <3 :) keep up the good work!! believe in urself!!! <3<3<3

anonymous said...
May 21, 2011 at 9:05 am:

I don't think texting should be allowed in school, and I'm only in the sixth grade! But everyone has their own opinion and I think people should respect the opinions of others. The ideas such as texting your parents in a dangerous situation are nice, but at the same time they are nonsensical. Again, everybody has their own opinion and that is just mine, and I am certainly not trying to say that the author of this article is wrong. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the world that would ag... (more »)

nshiga said...
May 17, 2011 at 12:19 pm:
If you were put in a dangerous situation, you wouldn't be able to text your mom or dad to say that you love them!! it's a nice  idea, but it just wouldn't work.

BlueRain replied...
Dec. 26, 2011 at 4:28 pm :
You would think they would try to survive first, before wasting time texting into their phone.

nixofred said...
May 9, 2011 at 12:22 pm:
this article is helpful because i need to know what kids think about texting in school for an article that i am writing!

caleb replied...
May 12, 2011 at 7:59 am :

i dont think kids should have cellphones in school BBBUUUTT i agree with the grade limit

WeLiveForScarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 10:47 am:

I was hoping that maybe this was a joke. I mean, you seriously are arguing the fact that you should be able to "talk your way"? This is what we are becoming. A nation who can't even have face to face conversations anymore, because we hide behind words on a screen. This article is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read and is a prime example of the lazy, uneducated society we are slowly approaching.

nixofred replied...
May 9, 2011 at 12:21 pm :
WeLveForScars is right! this article is ridiculous and i completely agree!!