School uniforms

By , Warren, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

KInG-B-101 said...

i Think nowadays teens should be able to exspress themselves and feel free to where ever they wnt!& uniforms are not going to cut it!

jaja1 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 24, 2010 at 10:44 pm :
i agree wit KInG-B-101 3very1 iz diverse in they own way so why should everyone dress the same?So if it  waz 4 me uniform wouldn't exist!!!!:)

bennyB said...
I got to a school with uniform. I don't see anythign wrong with the uniform policy. I dont mind it. Most people in my school find a way to give their uniform a "Twist". The girls still look pretty and acording to the girls the guys look good too. I think uniforms help us look at people from the inside intead of just labeling them by criticizing their clothing. Besides we don't come to school to see who looks the best we come here to learn not see who can come with a more creative out fit

bubblee96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 16, 2010 at 3:16 pm :
Thanks for putting your veiws on here, I agree with your POV about putting a twist on the uniforms!

mnt87 replied...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 7:44 pm :
I also agree with your point of view. Kids in my school do the same thing too, by adding a "twist" or a personal touch to their outfits. One girl cut her uniform in a really cool way. Teachers didn't really mind as long as the school crest was showing haha.

Ainse said...

I like your article but I just want to say that I go to a school where uniforms are worn and I do not see it as a restriction creative wise.  I have attended a non-uniform school as well and I must say I much prefer having a uniform.  At the school I go to now, we have casual dress days, one every month, in which we can express ourselves however we want to.  I think it is better because on that one day you will maybe express yourself more thro... (more »)

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 12:32 am:
I think you're overrating style way too much. "clothes...simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds". Seriously? They're just clothes. And you're labelling people---this seems more like an argument FOR uniforms, if anything.

Personally, I've been in both sorts of schools and I preferred uniforms way more. It saved me the indecision of "what to wear today?". 

Also, I don't really think that this piece is all that well-written. It should be more org... (more »)

TacosEatMe! replied...
Oct. 30, 2010 at 9:08 am :
Your totally wrong...this article isnt labeling people, its just showing how she thinks people dress I personally love this article and agree with it all the way....and your comment just sort of...stinks

DD99 replied...
Nov. 26, 2010 at 8:42 am :

I feel that both you and the person your replied to have valid points, but in either case, both of your opinoins seem to contradict each other.  If the original writer of this post were proteasting the wearing of uniforms in schools, as I took the question, then she was not categorizing a group, but saying she didn't like the idea.

On the other hand, what she wrote, may not truly reflect they way she actually feels, but figured she might get into trobules if she posted her true fe... (more »)

Dimples said...
School uniforms suck. White polo and kahki pants? i dont think so. i think its better if students dont have to wear a school uniform because i fell that if your wearing normal clothes tht your expressing your self in your own way.. Going to school with 3500 other students wearing the same exact thing, i feel like im just like them by wearing the same clothes. I express my self with what i wear, and how i wear it.

love09 said...
my school has uniforms, it used to be a school that you would be able to wear anything, but now we wear uniforms. I personally feel that I cant express how i feel in the way i dress, i cant be comfortable in a uniform, rather than wearing my own comfortable clothes.i just think school uniforms are bogus.. 

qwerty said...
School uniforms I think should be banned! Its a form of individuality and a way to express yourself.

AnimalLoverNayNay replied...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 5:57 am :
I agree.           

KunaiNinjaFighter said...
My school doesn't have uniforms... I think we need uniforms. At my school, girls get sent to the office, In-School Suspension, or HOME if they have a snag/rip/tear/patch above the knee on their jeans. Guys too. Also, low-cut/ spaghetti straps are a no-no and last year, there was a thirty-somthing teen rebelion that cost us a WHOLE SCHOOL DAY! Uniforms would be much easier and less distracting.

felicity123 said...
I agree completely!Our school has uniform and it just causes problems!People still have their identity once a term on no uniform day but still, nonuniform would be so cool

brkarcher said...
Sept. 24, 2010 at 9:05 am:
My school also has school uniforms! I do not like it at all. We are the N.P.Trist pirates. If one thing is wrong you get a mark on your infraction card, but the good thing is that if you have a perfect card, you get prizes,

tomtamtimmy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 22, 2010 at 4:03 am:
i wear school uniforms. it sucks. one thing is out of place and you geta demerit. and they are unpractical aswell. i winter you givin the thinest bussiness shirt. of course theres the jumper but they tear so easiliy so you end up getting cold anyway

bubblee96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I also agree with the things you two have said and thank you for your comments! I think that if we were to get school uniforms or voted for them we would still have some say on what we wear, such as personalizing your uniform! :)

toxicity_xx said...
Sept. 19, 2010 at 10:49 am:

I disagree with this post. I live in the UK and most, if not all, of the high schools here make their students wear uniforms. Sometimes it felt kind of annoying and pointless, but i understood why they did it. Firstly, it makes it harder for people to bully others because they can't afford the latest 'fashionable clothes'.
Also i think the point about making it harder to be yourself it invalid. We always found ways to modify our uniforms slightly so we could show off our personalities.<... (more »)

babygirlinthetardis replied...
Sept. 20, 2010 at 3:55 pm :
Hey, I'm in the UK as well and I have to wear a uniform, but the thing with ours is that you can't modify it to suit your personality - navy blue only, 9 stripes on your tie, top button fastened, shirt tucked in, skirts no shorter than knee, cardis must be v necked and no longer than waist length, shoes (don't get me started), no flower hair bobbles, no belts, no make up... etc etc - so yes I do agree with you that they're good but at my school it is impossible to be yourself with these uniforms... (more »)

Nov. 16, 2010 at 3:18 pm :
Hey! I like having people from other countries giving their veiws because not every country is the same...thanks guys!