School uniforms

By , Kalamazoo, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

period 8 said...
I feel as though many school related problems would cease to exist and kids would have a better chance for success.
period 7 said...
In the real world, for the most part, people are not required to wear matching uniforms. People prefer to judge others and be judged as to what they wear.
period 7 said...
I think school uniforms are a good idea because you don't get judged by kids and there would be fewer socail related problems at school.
period 6 said...
School unifprms are ugly and everyone wearing the samr thing is boring. Uniforms do not show your true passion for fashion and color.
period 6 said...
I like the idea of uniforms because people do not judge you and money is not an issue.
period 4 said...
Not having school uniforms allows students to express their individuality and allows students to their personality.
period 4 said...
I agree with the idea of school uniforms because they do equal the playing field and are functional and appropriate.
period 3 said...
Nov. 29, 2010 at 11:16 am
Clothes show what kids like to do and define their personality and personal being.
period 3 said...
Nov. 29, 2010 at 11:14 am
Uniforms equal the playing field and people don't judge you by the clothes you wear.
period 1 said...
Nov. 29, 2010 at 9:32 am
I think dressing how you want does not affect school work, and people shouln't judge you on how you look.
period 1 said...
Nov. 29, 2010 at 9:30 am
People focus too much on their clothes and don't focus on school.
ktdancer95 said...
I disagree. Wearing uniforms isn't that big of a deal. They make life easier in the morning and they force students to focus on classwork, which is, in fact, the reason we go to school. There are plenty of better ways to express yourself. What someone wears doesn't always reflect what they are on the inside, if anything clothes give others the chance to 'judge the book by its cover.' With uniforms, i guess we have to actually get to know people, not a bad idea.
DD99 said...
Nov. 26, 2010 at 8:36 am

On the subject of school uniforms, my view s that it is a matter to be addressed between the school board, the parents, and the students - but as commonly happens, the school board decides that uniforms will be worn, and the parents then have to fork over money so that their kids all have the proper clothing in order to attend school.  To me, that is excatly how governments work.

I do not, however, has any objection to a school having a dress code, as I have sent my kids to school... (more »)

JustTaz said...
Nov. 26, 2010 at 1:11 am
I somewhat disa
KInG-B-101 said...

i Think nowadays teens should be able to exspress themselves and feel free to where ever they wnt!& uniforms are not going to cut it!

jaja1 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
i agree wit KInG-B-101 3very1 iz diverse in they own way so why should everyone dress the same?So if it  waz 4 me uniform wouldn't exist!!!!:)
bennyB said...
I got to a school with uniform. I don't see anythign wrong with the uniform policy. I dont mind it. Most people in my school find a way to give their uniform a "Twist". The girls still look pretty and acording to the girls the guys look good too. I think uniforms help us look at people from the inside intead of just labeling them by criticizing their clothing. Besides we don't come to school to see who looks the best we come here to learn not see who can come with a more creative out fit
bubblee96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Thanks for putting your veiws on here, I agree with your POV about putting a twist on the uniforms!
mnt87 replied...
I also agree with your point of view. Kids in my school do the same thing too, by adding a "twist" or a personal touch to their outfits. One girl cut her uniform in a really cool way. Teachers didn't really mind as long as the school crest was showing haha.
Ainse said...

I like your article but I just want to say that I go to a school where uniforms are worn and I do not see it as a restriction creative wise.  I have attended a non-uniform school as well and I must say I much prefer having a uniform.  At the school I go to now, we have casual dress days, one every month, in which we can express ourselves however we want to.  I think it is better because on that one day you will maybe express yourself more thro... (more »)