School uniforms

Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

on Jan. 25 2011 at 7:52 am
dairishman BRONZE, Brandon, Florida

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES
FORREST GUMP

uniforms can blow me!

thomas8000 said...
on Jan. 22 2011 at 11:52 pm
thomas8000, Christiana, Tennessee

diversity, always makes ya smile dont it?

yes that is true. any one who dares to put out "the clothing does not affect what you bring out" is completely blind. They dont know and we dont know how someone is if we dont see their style/personality.

mariaa BRONZE said...
on Dec. 19 2010 at 10:24 pm
mariaa BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona

Rise to the occasion, which is life

I agree, my school have uniforms, I have them, we can only wear maroon and khaki. I hate, alot, but my friend thinks I'm weird cuz I dont like uniforms. She's says ppl can make fun of you more, ppl can see if you have money issues, but I dont see it like that. I see it, as with uniforms, you r the same as the next person, with w/o uniforms, you r all different from eachother.

maddie3712 said...
on Dec. 13 2010 at 11:37 am
i wouldnt like a uniform because it would keep us from expressing ourself

period 8 said...
on Nov. 29 2010 at 3:12 pm
People would be depressed if they are not allowed to dress how they wish.

period 8 said...
on Nov. 29 2010 at 3:10 pm
I feel as though many school related problems would cease to exist and kids would have a better chance for success.

period 7 said...
on Nov. 29 2010 at 2:18 pm
In the real world, for the most part, people are not required to wear matching uniforms. People prefer to judge others and be judged as to what they wear.

period 7 said...
on Nov. 29 2010 at 2:15 pm
I think school uniforms are a good idea because you don't get judged by kids and there would be fewer socail related problems at school.

period 6 said...
on Nov. 29 2010 at 1:25 pm
School unifprms are ugly and everyone wearing the samr thing is boring. Uniforms do not show your true passion for fashion and color.

period 6 said...
on Nov. 29 2010 at 1:23 pm
I like the idea of uniforms because people do not judge you and money is not an issue.

period 4 said...
on Nov. 29 2010 at 12:04 pm
Not having school uniforms allows students to express their individuality and allows students to their personality.

period 4 said...
on Nov. 29 2010 at 12:02 pm
I agree with the idea of school uniforms because they do equal the playing field and are functional and appropriate.

period 3 said...
on Nov. 29 2010 at 11:16 am
Clothes show what kids like to do and define their personality and personal being.

period 3 said...
on Nov. 29 2010 at 11:14 am
Uniforms equal the playing field and people don't judge you by the clothes you wear.

period 1 said...
on Nov. 29 2010 at 9:32 am
I think dressing how you want does not affect school work, and people shouln't judge you on how you look.

period 1 said...
on Nov. 29 2010 at 9:30 am
People focus too much on their clothes and don't focus on school.

ktdancer95 said...
on Nov. 28 2010 at 7:52 pm
I disagree. Wearing uniforms isn't that big of a deal. They make life easier in the morning and they force students to focus on classwork, which is, in fact, the reason we go to school. There are plenty of better ways to express yourself. What someone wears doesn't always reflect what they are on the inside, if anything clothes give others the chance to 'judge the book by its cover.' With uniforms, i guess we have to actually get to know people, not a bad idea.

DD99 said...
on Nov. 26 2010 at 8:51 am

I think that schools which have had uniforms as a part of their tradition, should allow the students a bit more in the way of freedom of expression, such as allowing a casual clothing day, as is done in the USa.

But then, I am from a school system, where you started school at *, and graduated at 20, and the only days you got to wear anything outside the uniform, which was mandatory, was on holidays.

The school I went to was both a "boarding school - military academy", where in the majority of the student body, stayed at the school for the full length of their education, while those who lived with-in easy commute, got to go home on weekends.  The downside of this, was that from my graduating class of 300 students, 90 of us wound up going directly into the military, thru training, and then to VietNam.

The others had better scores on graduating, so they got to attend college, before going into the military - of which only 75/80 actually went into the military.

DD99 said...
on Nov. 26 2010 at 8:42 am

I feel that both you and the person your replied to have valid points, but in either case, both of your opinoins seem to contradict each other.  If the original writer of this post were proteasting the wearing of uniforms in schools, as I took the question, then she was not categorizing a group, but saying she didn't like the idea.

On the other hand, what she wrote, may not truly reflect they way she actually feels, but figured she might get into trobules if she posted her true feeling on this issues.

Personally, I feel that if you have feelings for issues like this, then post them and share them with everyone.

and if feel opposite, then share that view also.

DD99 said...
on Nov. 26 2010 at 8:36 am

On the subject of school uniforms, my view s that it is a matter to be addressed between the school board, the parents, and the students - but as commonly happens, the school board decides that uniforms will be worn, and the parents then have to fork over money so that their kids all have the proper clothing in order to attend school.  To me, that is excatly how governments work.

I do not, however, has any objection to a school having a dress code, as I have sent my kids to school, wearing what they wished, but usually not only forbade them from wearing baggy clothes to school, up to actually forcing them to put on more decent clothing, when they wished to "follow the crowd".

As for you students - if your desire is to an individual, and wear what you please - look at the picture from the standpoint of what everyone else sees; when you decide what to wear to school.

If you dress in sloppy clothes, your school's attitude goes down, and pretty soon, everyone becomes a bit more sloppy.

Try cutting back on being flagrant in your dress, especially if you really desire to learn; as the more flagrant you appear to be on the putside, once away from school, you may find that your flagrnt mode of dressing may cast you as being a "trouble maker", or an "easy mark".

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!