School uniforms

By , Warren, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

akapooaka123 said...
May 23 at 3:01 pm:
I think kids should were uniforms becuse   

kahna said...
May 6 at 12:21 pm:
I agree with your opinion. Actually, my school has school uniforms, but we only wear them on once a week and also on school events(like graduation or day trips). I like uniforms because we don't have to think about what cloth I will wear next day. However, I like cloths. I like fashions. If I had to wear uniforms every day, I think I might dislike them. Cloths show the people's identities. We should wear anything we like.

L.A.L.EtcThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 23 at 12:07 am:
Both have good points, but people should be able to wear what they want. Schools are incharge of a lot of things, such as where you sit in the cafeteria, what you can eat, how you have to sit and more. I mean i'm in junior high soon highschhol and there still doing that. What about when we grow up? Not all jobs are going to have specific uniforms, you'll have to figure it out, it;s better to make it a habbit. And if an intruder breaks in we'll all be put into classrooms, or somewhere... (more »)

katdaffin said...
Apr. 4 at 11:58 am:
I respect your opinion, however, uniforms are not intended to stifle creativity, rather they are intended to erase the class distinctions that they create. For example, if uniforms were not required and students could dress freely, it may become a source of judgment between students. Students who don't "dress right" or wear the same pieces of clothings many times during the week because they HAVE no other clothes would be subject to the judgment and ridicule of other students. Scho... (more »)

izzy_0314 said...
Mar. 28 at 11:31 pm:
That's really interesting actually.

izzy_0314 said...
Mar. 28 at 11:24 pm:
Haha I usually wear uniforms for Halloween and stuff. Totally agree though.

SlowNimes7 said...
Jan. 24 at 1:29 am:
Okay, pleated navy blue, calf length skirt, fitted peter pan collar pigtails, knee high sock and mary janes. Uniforms make me feel a little sexy.

bum bum said...
To be honest, I want to be in a school with uniforms. I'm always worried about my clothes and how appropriate I look to other students. I'm always afraid of being judged on what I wear, which makes me spend 30 minutes just to find the right clothes to wear. This has been a huge problem for me, because I don't have much money for clothing.

Madisen_Pavone replied...
Feb. 10 at 9:19 pm :
But, what if your uniforms happen to be dirty or not clean much and you have to wear it again tomorrow and the next day without remembering to wash it properly? Wouldn't people judge for it too then?  Always having to be required to wear school uniforms is not really good. Most people don't like it and they complain everytime rather than studying and concentrating and stuff. So, think about it.

TanazMasabaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 22 at 7:11 am :
I used to be in a school where uniforms are required and YES it is a pain sometimes and I honestly can't remember how much I've nagged and complained about it...but now that i don't have to wear a uniform I kinda miss it cause like bum bum said--i have to be more conscious of what Im wearing and how it looks on me now. As for the dirty uniform part--well thats all the more reason to keep your clothes clean right? So basically its also indirectly helping you develop a good habit :)

Madisen_Pavone replied...
Apr. 24 at 9:49 am :
Yes, that is a good point; your thought of developing a good habit when I mentioned of dirty uniforms and such. But, the thing is: uniforms get easily dirty, for example, in my situations, I have at least PE and Arts at least more than 3 times a week, and it gets dirty easily, yeah I try to keep it clean and all that, but it takes time to dry them. So for example, washed uniforms today afternoon, tomorrow morning still not dried enough, can't wear them to school, you get nagged and shouted a... (more »)

Madisen_Pavone replied...
Apr. 24 at 9:52 am :
Also, I promise and guarantee you, you get judged even when you're wearing your school uniforms. People have tendensies to judge and see every little thing you do and wear and everything. It's not that comfortable too then, even though you're wearing your school uniforms. People judging and making their opinions of how you look and what you wear won't change, just because you're wearing school uniforms. I 100% guarantee and promise you. 

jollygreengiant47This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:10 am:
While uniforms may restrict some sense of self-expression, I think it can also be very beneficial. Uniforms keep students on a relatively even platform in terms of clothing. There are other ways of self-expression. 

izzy_0314 replied...
Mar. 28 at 11:30 pm :
I agree with how there are self-expression, however, in today's society, first impressions are mostly based off your clothes/appearance. If you go off stereotypes, uniforms give off the vibe of being rich and snotty. While I don't believe in stereotypes and look past them, I would much rather not give off a vibe to others that is considered a "negative" vibe.

Apr. 22 at 7:13 am :
That's kinda absurd. All most every school where I come from--be it public school or private school--has uniform. Doesn't mean all the students give off a "rich" or "snobb" vibe, In fact clothes don't really play a big role on first impression--its the way you carry the clothes.

Apr. 22 at 7:16 am :
I say this cause I have seen my cousin were weirdest combinations of clothes--some of which are often dirty and stained--but on first impression you don't even notice it because of her attitude. Similarly, a friend of mine--Ahana--she's so beautiful and she's always wearing the prettiest dresses to class but no one notices cause she can't carry it even though she's gorgeous. So basically, first impression is all in the attitude especially in current times and generation.

32littlelion said...
I recently got uniforms at my school and we spend more time complaining to our teachers and peers then actually learning. 

JECD145 said...
Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:04 pm:
This may sound weird, but the purpose of school uniforms is actually for safety reasons. God forbid an intruder manages to get into a school and he's wearing a distinct outfit. It will be easier to spot among the students because they'll all be wearing the same thing and the intruder will be the odd one out. I know it sounds dumb, but it's true. At least in NYC it is.

DanielleSK said...
Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:49 pm:
My school wears uniforms, and at first, I really wasn't okay with it. I wanted to be able to dress as I please, not wear the exact same thing everyone else is wearing. But as soon as school started, I realized that it was so much easier to wake up knowing exactly what I was going to wear rather than stay up late, and go through my wardrobe. We are very much able to express our personalities through our clothing, but then again, you have to think about conventionality. Sure, everybody else mi... (more »)

AliMotamedi said...
May 18, 2013 at 1:32 am:
you are right, the first thing we notice in a person is their clothing. but since we all know this we all dress to impress others, and not our own needs. and there is no creativity when you think something that someone else made looks good on you. it would be creative if you got up and designed your own clothes for the day every morning. Uniforms alow us to see everyone as an equal in a way. this way we have more ways to express ourselves and not be judgmental towards other because of what they ... (more »)