School uniforms

By , Warren, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

katdaffin said...
today at 11:58 am:
I respect your opinion, however, uniforms are not intended to stifle creativity, rather they are intended to erase the class distinctions that they create. For example, if uniforms were not required and students could dress freely, it may become a source of judgment between students. Students who don't "dress right" or wear the same pieces of clothings many times during the week because they HAVE no other clothes would be subject to the judgment and ridicule of other students. Scho... (more »)

izzy_0314This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 28 at 11:31 pm:
That's really interesting actually.

Mar. 28 at 11:24 pm:
Haha I usually wear uniforms for Halloween and stuff. Totally agree though.

SlowNimes7This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 24 at 1:29 am:
Okay, pleated navy blue, calf length skirt, fitted peter pan collar pigtails, knee high sock and mary janes. Uniforms make me feel a little sexy.

bum bum said...
To be honest, I want to be in a school with uniforms. I'm always worried about my clothes and how appropriate I look to other students. I'm always afraid of being judged on what I wear, which makes me spend 30 minutes just to find the right clothes to wear. This has been a huge problem for me, because I don't have much money for clothing.

Madisen_Pavone replied...
Feb. 10 at 9:19 pm :
But, what if your uniforms happen to be dirty or not clean much and you have to wear it again tomorrow and the next day without remembering to wash it properly? Wouldn't people judge for it too then?  Always having to be required to wear school uniforms is not really good. Most people don't like it and they complain everytime rather than studying and concentrating and stuff. So, think about it.

jollygreengiant47This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:10 am:
While uniforms may restrict some sense of self-expression, I think it can also be very beneficial. Uniforms keep students on a relatively even platform in terms of clothing. There are other ways of self-expression. 

izzy_0314This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 28 at 11:30 pm :
I agree with how there are self-expression, however, in today's society, first impressions are mostly based off your clothes/appearance. If you go off stereotypes, uniforms give off the vibe of being rich and snotty. While I don't believe in stereotypes and look past them, I would much rather not give off a vibe to others that is considered a "negative" vibe.

32littlelionThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I recently got uniforms at my school and we spend more time complaining to our teachers and peers then actually learning. 

JECD145 said...
Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:04 pm:
This may sound weird, but the purpose of school uniforms is actually for safety reasons. God forbid an intruder manages to get into a school and he's wearing a distinct outfit. It will be easier to spot among the students because they'll all be wearing the same thing and the intruder will be the odd one out. I know it sounds dumb, but it's true. At least in NYC it is.

DanielleSK said...
Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:49 pm:
My school wears uniforms, and at first, I really wasn't okay with it. I wanted to be able to dress as I please, not wear the exact same thing everyone else is wearing. But as soon as school started, I realized that it was so much easier to wake up knowing exactly what I was going to wear rather than stay up late, and go through my wardrobe. We are very much able to express our personalities through our clothing, but then again, you have to think about conventionality. Sure, everybody else mi... (more »)

AliMotamedi said...
May 18, 2013 at 1:32 am:
you are right, the first thing we notice in a person is their clothing. but since we all know this we all dress to impress others, and not our own needs. and there is no creativity when you think something that someone else made looks good on you. it would be creative if you got up and designed your own clothes for the day every morning. Uniforms alow us to see everyone as an equal in a way. this way we have more ways to express ourselves and not be judgmental towards other because of what they ... (more »)

pulledheartstring said...
Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:24 am:
I'm fine with both, but I think it's a huge assumption for us to think that skaters wear these kinds of clothes and girly girls wear certain other kinds... For instance there are some people who may be put in situations where they cannot wear the clothes they like due to financial issues, family issues, and much more. I don't think clothes should always define a way a person expresses himself; there are multiple ways than just polishing up appearances to express personal ways. C... (more »)

iWriteForFoodThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:43 pm:
I see the uniforms argument going both ways. However, on the point of bullying. I go to a private school, and while we don't have uniforms, per se, we do have a fairly strict dress code (shirts with collars, certain colored pants, etc.) We get school pride days most fridays, and dress down days every once in a while. I have gone to the same school for my whole life, and in the 11 years I've been there, it's very rarely that I see someone bullied because of what they wear. Occasionall... (more »)

Westsider said...
Life is a lot easier with uniforms. But I do wish that they weren’t so strict on us with all that. We should be allowed to change it up a bit. ive been wearing uniform for 3 years going into 4 years. it has saved me money, well my parents money. We do also get dress downs once in a while so i think t  

amanda_sedo23 said...
I agree. Even though it would make it easier to choose what to wear in the morning, you don’t get to be yourself. For example, in my school, we have A LOT of restrictions. We can’t wear different colored undershirts or different shoes. I think it’s just ridiculous and should be able to wear what we want to wear.  

NerdyAuthor This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm someone who's gone to uniform schools all my life. The school I go to now has a polo shirt and jeans, capris, or khakis of your choice. And I love that. I mean, sure, those polos make every one of us girs look flat chested and every guy flabby, but it's better than having yet ANOTHER stress point in high school. We already have enough of those. And you can express yourself just fine. I do tiger stripes on my eyes some days, or gigantic dangley earrings. I wear 50 jelly bracelet... (more »)

DarkAlley_VanitySixx said...
I think the opinion about uniforms goes both ways. The parents like them because there's less bullying. The kids don't because they have to wear the same thing all the time. My school doesn't have uniforms, but we have a VERY strict dress code..

LoveDance said...
Sept. 11, 2012 at 8:31 am:
I think that we should have to wear uniforms because people talk about other people if they don't have on nice clothes and I think that, that isn't fair to the kids who don't have nice clothes on because they can't afford it. As teenagers we should understand that everyone isn't going to have the same nice clothes, so by wear uniforms will elimate so of the teasing each other or bullying each other because of what they have on. As teenagers we can find other ways to express o... (more »)

shaylapurple16 said...
At my school we've been wearing uniforms from Kindergarten, all the way up to 8th grade. Then in High School, we can wear whatever we want. Honestly, I think it's okay to have a uniform. Our uniform just consists of a uniform shirt, we can wear whatever bottoms we want. It doesn't bother me much to have this. I actually think it's great, because people won't judge each other based on their clothes. Of course, being in Middle School kids will judge each other no matter what, b... (more »)