What Makes Me Different

Am I an abnormal teenager because I don’t understand the physics of fashion? Am I laugh-worthy because I don’t have shoes that look like I am about to become an astronaut, and I don’t wear makeup that makes me look like Cleopatra’s great-great-great-great-great granddaughter? Do I look like an intruder from Mars because I enjoy musing over the ‘70s, and I actually don’t throw rocks at my mom for being my mom?

If you stuck up descendants of an Egyptian queen that had no sense of style responded with another “Duh!” to all of these seemingly pointless questions, you might be right. I may wear my hair loose instead of coating every inch of it with a whipped-cream like substance. Why would I want a rigid and stiff hairball stuck to the top of my head that probably weighs more than I do? I may not buy clothes from a store that charges fifty bucks for ripped jeans. Isn’t it the same thing if I wore my grandfather’s old saggy suspender pants? Well, I’d rather. I may not paint my face every morning and have a spasm over my non-water-proof mascara dripping down my face because of the rain. You guys look like modernized, manicured versions of Bo Peep. I may listen to classics like Abba or M.J. instead of listening to bands that look like they just woke up and decided to cut their own hair. I may prefer watching the night sky shining with a billion gazillion stars, instead of watching ugly actors do the exact same thing in pixels. Sure, I may eat more than one peach a week, along with a lettuce leaf. I’m not really looking forward to becoming an anorexic patient, thank you very much. Nor do I find any excitement in forcing a finger down my throat and feeling the warmth of my breakfast come back up my oesophagus.

If you ask me, I like myself the way I am, however cheesy that sounds.
You laugh because I’m different.
I laugh because you’re all the same.

DanielleSK said...
Jul. 6, 2013 at 5:24 pm:
You made a good point here, but there's no need to make fun of people while you're at it. You've expressed that you have a different taste and that you are your own person (I can relate to you) , but next time, maybe do it in a way that isn't necessarily hurtful to others. Good article, though.

Bones96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 21, 2012 at 10:51 pm:
I really liked the artical and totally agree. Like you I am different then the 'raverge teenager' and perfectly happy with that.

misswindsor said...
Jun. 24, 2011 at 12:26 pm:
I agree with what you're saying, but I don't like the way you make fun of people in that article. Maybe they wear makeup because they have some horrible scarr on their face that they don't want anyone to see. Maybe they buy 50 dollars ripped jeans, because they like the style and that they can afford it and maybe they like watching sappy love movies because they like happy endings, maybe they like listening to music other than abba n M.J. because they're not really into that soul and hippie styl... (more »)

wondering76 said...
Oct. 3, 2010 at 9:28 am:
Well, I do like it, but I don't put on my make-up to try to make myself something different. In fact, just the opposite. I wear make-up to show off my natural beauty, but I am not like those girls who put huge amounts on. I do that only for outtings such as dances or movies.

linda123 said...
I love it.beautiful poem.

Shelly-T said...
Aug. 20, 2010 at 9:24 am:
I love the ending and your unique style of writing!  Keep it up!

lizzymwrites said...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 2:59 am:

Oh, I adore ABBA. My mom played a lot of old songs in the car when I was little, so my iPod is kind of a mess of old and new thrown together.

Anyway, don't assume they're all the same. They're probably not.l

toxic.monkey said...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 5:04 pm:
Funny and deep piece, shows who you are. I can't say I'm like you but I have no problem with people who don't wear make up or anything like that. It's admirable that you can like yourself as you are and I hope you're going to continue being whoever you want to be not who you're opressed into being :)

Joyce said...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 10:54 pm:

I love your article! Nice voice, good usage of words to bring out your opinion...great overall!

It is good to be different!

danceinthedark28 said...
May 2, 2010 at 3:13 pm:
I think that this was really well-written and you got your point across well. I'm proud to call myself fashionable and I believe that being into trendy clothing (as opposed to the majority of my school, who believes like you do that throwing on whatever in the morning is good enough for them, which I respect), is what sets me apart. I love my fashion as a way to express myself and I think that makeup is fun. How you dress is in no way indicative of how someone is set apart on the inside, if that... (more »)

songofheaven said...
I like this. I love the 60's, and the 70's. I'd like to dress in bell bottoms, fringe, and t-shirts every day. I really would like it if we could all just not be judged based on our clothing, or our makeup(or lack of it), and just say what we feel like. Decorating our lockers in Beatles or Zeppelin...but times have just changed like that. We can't wear what we want, and making first impressions is important now. It's important for college interviews, job interviews...the world as I wou... (more »)

SaddleShoeGal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 28, 2010 at 8:31 pm:
This is almost exactly like me! Pretty much the only difference is that I like the forties, fifties, and sixties, and sometimes I actually dress in that fashion! A lot of people probably are wondering what is wrong with me, but I don't care that much about what they think.

Winter-Wolf said...
Mar. 19, 2010 at 3:11 pm:
I really enjoyed this article. I think that you really captured the confusion and hardships that go along with finding out who you really are as a person. Wonderful writing. Brava.

gum3baer said...
Feb. 25, 2010 at 3:38 pm:
that you laugh because im different i laugh because their all the same thing is taken from another young poet

scribblesinthecity said...
Feb. 24, 2010 at 12:55 am:
i absolutely LOVE this! i love how you respect and appreciate yourself (confidence rocks!) but most of all i love your descriptions in this article. i cant even name all the tidbits i enjoyed, but i will just say that your details and comparisons where truly great, and entertaing to read (i mean that in the best way). BUT at the same time, consider this: the kind of person you describe yourself as here; quirky, different, against the norm, is almost becoming the new norm in itself. I meet girls ... (more »)

laurarico said...
dude, you cant just go around saying stuff about anorexic people like that. I mean i get that people are all the same i get it im pretty artsy and random. but really?! do you have to bring anorexics into this? iv been one and i know how terrible it is. sometimes its not a choice but ur struggling with it. ---laura

montana said...
Dec. 21, 2009 at 10:22 am:
Hi. I am probably a person that you think would be the same as every one else. I think your right about being different. Sure I love putting on makeup (but I hate eyeliner) and I poof my hair up and part it to the side. But I am also the person who hates wearing jeans and the tips of my hair are dyed black. Every one thinks I am gothic. Yet they don't realize I put on makeup, and do my hair. They look at me like I have nothing in common with them. But maybe I don't because I put on mak... (more »)

Hannah T. said...
Bravo. That's all I have to say.

silver123 said...
This is a GREAT article. People need to hear all of this.

Sunshineyday said...
Nov. 7, 2009 at 10:11 am:
I like your peice, intersting especially the closing statement. You remind me a bit of me, you don't follow trends, you just drift and do your own thing , am i right? I also am a fan of classics (especially Mj), often read about the culture of the 70's-60's era in america, and don't do make-up or much with my hair.(I comb it, not much else). nice flow, and very descriptive. I actually GET this article. good writing!