Kurt Cobain | Teen Ink

Kurt Cobain

By Siara Clemmey BRONZE, Wrentham, Massachusetts
Siara Clemmey BRONZE, Wrentham, Massachusetts

April 8th, 1994, the world cried when news hit that front man of Nirvana, Kurt Cobain, took his life. In three months is the twenty-first anniversary of the man who shot himself while he was on top of the music world. Kurt Cobain is said to be the guy who changed the direction of music. He became the biggest icon of rock n' roll. Cobain was not interested in the fame or his reputation as the "voice of a generation," but acquired it anyways. Years later, his music and influence has not diminished in the slightest.

Even though Kurt lived for only 27 years his legacy lives on. His wailing and angst-y howl influenced countless successive rock bands to this day. Kurt influenced bands that did not even fit in the genre of grunge yet observed how his music impacted their music. Cobain inspired people to put their hands from pen to paper and pick up a guitar. Nirvana gave people a break where the misfits and people who could not relate with the culture to unite. From Blink-182 to Nickelback, Kurt gave the music world an opening door of expression and raw emotion in his albums.

Kurt was not an average musician. Cobain was an advocate for women rights, gay people and anti-rape campaigns that challenged the status quo. Kurt pushed the boundaries in style, art, and music. Rumors say Cobain could not handle the pressure he was put under that led him to put a bullet in his head. Cobain’s suicide note quoted Neil Young ‘how it is “better to out than fade away”. He was an outcast who withdrew after a show to get peace and quiet. Kurt was the underdawg that recoiled from the fame that others spend their whole life trying to achieve. Underdog conveyed that is was okay to be different. 

It’s undeniable the impact that Kurt and his suicide left on society. Till this day he still has a loyal cult. What makes people still faithful to Kurt? Kurt’s wide range of sound keeps fans interested. He can start from a quiet whimper and move to a booming scream. Although he became popular in the nineties, the issues he sings about are and will always be relevant. The permanence of Kurt’s suicide makes his listeners hold on to all of his music deeply. Although some people did not have the same issues as he did his music gives you a buzz of youth.
Nirvana released an angry single "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in 1991 that altered the rock world forever. It is consistently ranked among the top best, and most important songs time and time again. By 1992, the single was climbing up the charts and Kurt feared that people were missing the meaning of antiestablishment message. In 1989, Nirvana released their debut album, Bleach, from the underground-rock community. It sold over 35,000 copies which is considered huge for an indie-label release. The band made it clear that they hated major record labels, but signed on get their message across to a grater audience. Many people thought they became sellouts, though. The breakout album Nevermind sold 10 million copies in the U.S. alone. It changed culture immediately and vastly. In Utero was released on September 21st and debuted as number one. After Kurt’s suicide, in November 1994, MTV Unclogged in New York released acoustic shows taped in 1993. It was debuted at Number One, sold 5 million copies and won a Grammy for Best Alternative Music Album in 1995.
    Cobain left a legacy so real and raw that surpasses the time in which Kurt recorded his songs. Kurt touched the lives of everybody. When listeners hear that last aching howl on the cover of Leadbelly’s “Where Did You Sleep Last Night” it is impossible not to feel moved in that moment, or for the rest of your life. Kurt may be dead, but everyone can still see his influence today. Kurt Cobain still matters, even in this generation and that’s why we have not stopped talking about him.  Even today while pop stars with meaningless messages play on the radio, his music blares greatly above them.  Many things could be said about him, like his depression, his drug addiction, what people thought of his wife, but it will always be known the astonishing influence he’s made.