Why Music Censorship Should End | Teen Ink

Why Music Censorship Should End

When one listens to the radio, they are likely to hear words that are considered to be offensive being bleeped out or removed from songs. This causes me great frustration, especially when I enjoy the song, and there's a beep sound in the middle of it. Music should not be censored for the language or subject matter.

First of all, I understand that parents don't want their children hearing about drugs, sex, or swear words. However, is it really the radio station's responsibility to protect their precious little ears? If parents don't want their children hearing those things, they can change the station. Or, they could allow their children to listen to it, and then do their jobs as parents to teach them what is right and what is wrong. It is the same as not permitting children to watch certain movies that are inappropriate. Censoring "offensive" language so parents don't have to pay attention to what their kids are hearing ruins it for everyone who wants to just listen to the music.

In addition, if the artist included a "bad" word in a song, they probably meant for it to be there. Removing words from songs can take away from the meaning. Swear words are used to emphasize things. For example, the song "F*** You" by Lily Allen would not have the same meaning if it  was called "Darn You". Curse words have a purpose, and censoring them takes that away, and also violates the First Amendment rights of the artist. Just like I have the right to say what I want to get my point across, musicians can do the same.

Music should not be censored on the radio because it is up to the parents to control what their children hear, and it takes away the meaning of the music. People should be allowed to listen to music as it was intended to be heard, not interrupted by annoying beeps.