Music | Teen Ink

Music

October 24, 2014
By Caitlin Byrd BRONZE, Rolling Meadows, Illinois
Caitlin Byrd BRONZE, Rolling Meadows, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Music. It can make you dance around the room one minute, to wanting to take a nap, to bawling your eyes out. It can connect two people who would never have talked. But when you share a song that you love with someone, you're sharing a piece of your heart with them. You showing them exactly how you feel through music. Music is such an amazing way to communicate with someone. Music is such a powerful and inspirational thing in my life.
Music is a very powerful communication tool. When you share a song with someone you’re telling them things you may not have otherwise. Like how you feel left out ever since your best friend got a new best friend. How alone in the word you feel because your brother got a new girlfriend and how you feel left out because he's with her more than you now. When I listen to a song like "Easy" by Rascal Flatts it reminds me that it's hard for me to move on and how I pretend that I can move on but the truth is I can't, neither of us can and it's really hard. How you have all these great memories that come back to haunt us. How we need to make it seem like we don't care even though we do because we don't want to seem like the weak one. But the truth is we both feel that way but are too concerned about what others may think about it. But it doesn't matter we need to talk. Even if its just one way, if I'm ok but he needs to talk to me then so be it. Who cares if the other person thinks you look silly? You need to worry about making yourself feel better not making sure someone else doesn't think you look like an idiot. If you miss someone go talk to them. Music has taught me this very important lesson.


When I listen to certain songs and I can't help but to cry because that's exactly how I feel and you finally feel as if someone understands you, like someone read your mind and wrote a song about I just to make you feel better, or to make you cry harder. "Fix You" By Coldplay is the song that makes me cry so hard when I'm upset. When I listen to "Fix You" when I'm already upset it makes me cry harder because I want someone to love and care for me so much that they will try to fix me. I always have to fix myself and I'm not very good at it because I listen to music like this which also makes me feel worse. Another one is "Forget About Us" By Tim McGraw. When I listen to this song it isn't a reflection of myself rather its a song about forgetting about someone you once loved and how you still love that person but they don't love you. Forgetting about how they made you feel and moving on from it. But it it reminds me that I'm not perfect and it's ok and only normal to feel that way.


There are so many more pressures for teenagers boys and girls alike. Girls are pressured to have sex not by boys but by the media and television showing high schoolers who all they do is have sex and are skinny. Boys have this pressure too. When we are pressured into these situations or even makes mistakes involving emotions or school whatever the case may be. Many teens including myself are hard on ourselves when we make mistakes. "Human" by Christina Perri reminds us that we're only human. We all make mistakes all the time and when we make those mistakes it's not because we're horrible people. It's because we're human and we're all like that. We can take a lot we let things go. But we all get to the point where we've had enough and we blow up and yell and scream or need to go have a good cry and that's ok because we're all human.I really appreciate and respect that a lot of artist recently have songs that remind today's generation including myself to take a deep breath and to not be so hard on ourselves. Especially with all the pressures we have we make mistakes and we need to forgive ourselves. 


My life is about to drastically change. Next year I will be attending college so many thoughts are entering my mind when I think about it. I’m nervous, and excited at the same time. The song to me that says the most about my future is “Act Naturally” by: Buck Owens and The Buckaroos. This song reminds me that you never know what is going to happen but whatever you do you must act naturally. This song is very special to me because when I was a little girl my dad and I used to sing this together and next year I will not be able to see him everyday. But I’ll have this song that I can listen to when I feel homesick and it will make me feel better because it will bring back great memories of my dad and it will also remind me to be myself no matter what.


There are those days when everyone needs to remind you that you're not perfect. Then there are those songs that make you happy. There are songs that make you remember happy memories and song that remind you of sad ones. It is one of the most important learning tools in life. Music.