Hearing the Words Behind the Screams | Teen Ink

Hearing the Words Behind the Screams

December 17, 2012
By hawaiianboy96 BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida
hawaiianboy96 BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Live life how you want, but live as if you'll die today."


If someone asked me,“what do you believe?”I’d say I believe that the music genre metal is something so much more meaningful than what most people think is pointless screaming.

Three years ago when I was in middle school, I kept hearing my friends and other people mention a music genre known as “Screamo”. I became curious when I first heard of it so I looked it up on YouTube. After listening to a couple songs I figured “Screamo” was just that, incomprehensible screaming. I learned that listening to “Screamo”, aka Metal, is like trying to understand a conversation in Spanish for the first time. So I tried to listen to some songs while reading the lyrics; I was soon able to understand what they were saying.

After learning how to understand what they were saying, I could finally see the messages to the songs. I found that behind the screaming lies pain, heartbreak, anger, and inspiration. It’s these feelings and stories told through the songs that make this genre so great and inspire people with the same problems to just look on the better side of things. In one of my favorite songs called “The Great Hendowski” by Of Mice & Men the lyrics are being said to the people in the audience, who feel life is no longer worth living. So the band is trying to tell them that they should look at the good things in life through the song. This is a few lines from the song “You’re too young to live this way. Just close your eyes and see the true meaning. You’re too young to live this way, just look around and see that life is beauty”. From these lyrics the audience or whoever is listening to the song would feel that life is truly worth living.

Some people think that metal is just Satanic because of all the hate and screaming that are found in it. These people are as wrong as the people who think that it’s just pointless screaming. Yes I will agree that there may be some metal songs that are satanic sounding, but most of the popular and good bands aren’t even close to being satanic. Bands like Memphis may Fire, Of Mice & Men, The Devil Wears Prada, Attack Attack!,and blessthefall are religious or Christian based bands. They use their beliefs to give their songs deeper meanings or moral lessons.

This genre has taught me so much since I discovered it; it taught me to be more confident in myself, to choose my own path in life, and to not live in the past. The biggest thing it taught me is to”Live how you wish, but live as if you'll die today”- "YDG" by Of Mice & Men.
So now that you have read this maybe you will learn to see the meaning behind the screams as I do or maybe you will at least acknowledge that the incomprehensible screaming you hear means the world to hundreds of thousands of people including me.


The author's comments:
This is my personal opinion on the music genre "Screamo". I hold this opinion very closely.