The Music In Me | Teen Ink

The Music In Me

October 11, 2012
By allison0115 SILVER, Cranston, Rhode Island
allison0115 SILVER, Cranston, Rhode Island
6 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Maybe somewhere I took a wrong turn, but in the end it led me to a great place."


I was sitting in the car, belting out a tune when it hit me. I think the song was either by Taylor Swift, Adele, or Katy Perry. I don’t remember which. As I was singing along to the melodious tune, I realized that the true meaning of the lyrics can only be known if the person singing the music is in the same mood as expressed by the song.
I, myself was in a terrible mood and the song i was singing was one of those I-just-had-a-horrible-day-let-me-tell-you-all-about-it type of songs. That was when I truly realized the full meaning of the lyrics.

I now understand why people listen to certain types of music. These lyrics and melodies fully express what they are going through emotionally and mentally. Sometimes they don’t even realize it. I know that when I am in a bad mood, I put my headphones on and block out the world, but when a cheerful, more upbeat song comes on I skip it because the words do not match my mood.

Also, music can take many forms. It can be digital, acoustic, or vocal. It can be music found in nature such as the birds chirping, leaves blowing in the wind, or even the sound of the ocean waves crashing against the shore line. No matter the form, all music has meaning and emotion, just like people.

Some music on the other hand, like dubstep or techno, really has no true feeling or emotion. Dubstep and techno are those let’s-take-a-random-sequence-of-alien-like-noises-and-add-a-background-drumbeat type of music anyway. Why would anyone want to listen to a song with no meaning, no expression, and no personal connection to there own lives anyway? Let’s just face the facts. They wouldn’t.


Music should be an inspiration, an essential part of life, and a guide. Music should teach us how to better understand not only our feelings and emotions, but those of others. I believe that music is the true key to finding out personality traits and characteristics about ourselves that we did not know before. We should use music to our advantage, such as expressing our thoughts and feelings or telling a live story. We should not only use the music to inspire ourselves, but to inspire others. I believe that the most important thing about music is that no matter what type of mood you’re in, there will always be lyrics, tunes, and melodies to enjoy.