Of Mice and Men film Reflection | Teen Ink

Of Mice and Men film Reflection

By abjaffy97 BRONZE, Darien, Connecticut
abjaffy97 BRONZE, Darien, Connecticut

Live amongst people in such a manner that if you die they weep over you and if you are alive they crave for your company.

The movie Of Mice and Men had slight changes from the book; although they weren’t purposely they were intended. The first change that was noticed, was right from when the movie b3egan. There was the girl in the red dress running across the fields. Then it shows thee two partners running from their previous ranch workers because they were in trouble. They were in trouble because Lennie was feeling the girls dress, which was why she was running. In the book this scene is described in around the rising action of the novel. The book begins when Lennie and George are by the pond and they are surrounded by the scenic background. This difference was probably made, because the directors wanted to educate the audience about what occurred before Lennie and George came to the ranch. This scenic view describes the neighboring sycamore trees and the tiny animals running around, and the pond in which Lennie and George drink from. This This picturesque background is described , “The golden foothill slopes curve up to the strong and rocky Gabilan mountains, but on the valley side the water is lined with trees…and sycamores with mottled, white, recumbent limbs…a lizard makes a great skittering if he runs among them” (Steinbeck 1). The scene about the girl is told later on the story, which was done to keep the reader a little confused, and to not give away the whole story in the beginning pages of the book. This description shows the surroundings and setting in which Lennie and George have arrived. There were many other differences from the novel to movie. Including the parts where they showed Lennie and George actually working on the ranch, this part was to show how strong Lennie was, because in these scenes Lennie was picking up weighty packages of grain while it was clear that the other men were incapable of doing so. An additional change was the scene when George was taking to Curley’s wife in the barn. This part was not written about in the novel, but from what can be hinted, this part was added to portray Curley’s wife’s manipulative ways, and how she can easily get people in trouble.

There were numerous times in which foreshadowing was displayed in Of Mice and Men, the movie and book. One significant example that really stood out was when Whit and the other members of the room discuss whether or not they should kill Candy’s dog. George is casually sitting in his bunk minding his own business, but does in fact of one ear closely listening into the conversation. In the movie, Whit says to, “Shoot him in the back of the head” because the dog will feel no pain. They finally decide that the dog will die on that night. When Whit goes to carry out this horrendous task, he lures the dog in, to make the death as unexpected for the dog as possible. Coincidently, George uses this same strategy to kill Lennie. While reading the book, it seemed like a simple detail that could be overlooked. Little did I know, it was a huge hint to the end of the novel. More examples of foreshadowing were when Lennie first arrives and admits that he doesn’t like the feel of this new place. He knows something bad is in his future. Another example was when George warns Lennie about Curley’s wife and Curley. Once they arrive, George knows those people are up to trouble, he warns Lennie about them in particular. Later on in the story Curley and his wife are the ones who cause trouble for Lennie. Curley knows Lennie’s strong but slow, so he’ll keep on pushing his buttons physically. Curley’s wife did this when she would talk to him, by being manipulative and sneaky. George knew they would cause tension with Lennie, and they did. Lennie ended up almost tearing Curley’s hand apart, and he suffocated Curley’s wife to death. Overall, the foreshadowing paints a clear picture for the reader/viewer.