Read a Book | Teen Ink

Read a Book

The number of movies checked out daily in the U.S. is 6 million. Only 3 million items are checked out from libraries daily. While a child spends 1,680 minutes watching television during a week, only 3.5 minutes are spent in meaningful conversation with their parents. 59% of Americans can name The Three Stooges, but only 17% can name three justices on the Supreme Court. This is all according to the A.C. Nielson Co. These poignant statistics coerced me to agree with the concerns expressed in the article "Television and Health." But besides the physical health concerns raised, I would like to point out the mental health concerns.

Television should be primarily used as an educational tool. Yet, as statistics show, Americans constantly inundate themselves with movies and entertainment. And The Three Stooges isn't what I would call quality programming. Television watchers are referred to as couch potatoes. Our country is turning into a nation of phlegmatic television addicts. Children especially should not be allowed to spend more time watching television than talking to parents. Parents should be teaching their children instead of expecting television to do it. A 3.5 minute conversation is pointless and fruitless if it only happens once a week. We should zealously try to reduce our dependence on television in an effort to make a better America.

TheIdealist SILVER, New York City, New York

"We all die. The goal is not to last forever. It's to create something that does."

TV isn't the way it used to be. The classic sitcoms of yesterday have become mindless "reality" shows that are prevalent today. I honestly don't think that I've watched a good show faithfully in about 5 years. In fact, I don't anymore. I just make the best of what Food Network has to offer (even that channel's gone downhill). It's no big deal though. I love to read, anyway. I have about 5 dozen books in a huge storage bin. I just finished a new one a few minutes ago. Sometimes it seems as though not watching the tube puts you out of sync with your own generation. But, once you hear them talk about what's actually on these days, it's hard to regret making the decision to stay what I call "TV Celibate." Good article!

on Feb. 18 2013 at 3:00 am
Matthew17 SILVER, Bainbridge Island, Washington
This is really well written. I agree that watching too much tv is a bad thing but really I watch many many hours of tv a week and I feel that I have learned a lot about our culture and history, yes I could get this from a book but tv connects people in a way books just can't. So maybe we aren't having conversations with our families (which I do agree should be changed) but at least we are part of a national conversation.

Internal-Love PLATINUM, Queens, New York

Nothing's black or white, its all just a shade of gray---

TI "Live your Life" ft Rihanna

interesting opinion. I've never heard a kid say such a thing, or stick to such a principle. WOW.

And, another thing you r good at research. it sounds like an article/essay. You SHOULD write an extended essay on this, you'd rock at it.

on Apr. 20 2010 at 3:21 am
mcpanicfanic SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio
I have a great relationsip with my family, and would rather spend time with them. I think teens should spend more time with family. And I love to read, but watch tv way too much. Good piece.

readingredhead33 SILVER, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

life sucks. then you die.

hhmm. indeed.

on Jul. 14 2009 at 3:29 am
biggerinfinities SILVER, Superior, Colorado

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

you bring out a fabulous point!!!! People talk about how vegging in front of the tube is awful, but no one brings out the stastitics like you did. Fantastic work!