What Adults Don't Understand

By , Bon Aqua, TN
My mom was reading one of the poems of this magazine the other day, and she did something that really irked me. She was reading a poem from the February issue, Nothing Like. When she was finnished reading, she let out a 'humph', like she didn't actually belive that "kids" like us could know what love is yet. Like love is only for responsible adults. Well let me say something right here and right now: By the time you are thirteen, you have probably been in love. There I said it. Now people can argue about it.

BillyJoeBobKellyGeorge This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 21, 2010 at 12:28 am:
I am going through a situation where my parents don't believe in young love, and is forcing me apart from my relationship. I believed in every ounce of love we had, and now i'm just heartbroken b/c i had to let him go to please my parents...

WriterA.M. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm 18 and have never been in love. Wow that's terrible.

Kelz1141This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Love is like an orgasim. Some people expierence them some don't. Even some adults haven't expierenced it, and some 13 year olds have. It just depends on you.

ToriLovett replied...
Feb. 14, 2010 at 1:10 pm :
Best. Simile. Ever. HAHA.

melissaS said...
Love is such a complicated subject. The way one can love and the meaning of love is as ever changing as the path called life. Thirteen may hold the purest love, but that does not mean it can't exist. It means there is much more to learn. Adults also need to remember that, although they have many life experiences, there are so many more to go. Because the journey constantly changes, people constantly change. The reason one loves, what and who one loves, and why one loves is altered. I... (more »)

WriterFanatic This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 26, 2010 at 12:16 am :

do you write poetry? Because that was a very poetic reply=)

You're also correct by the way. 

driversgurl said...
Nov. 18, 2009 at 9:41 am:
i think that 13 year olds can experience love because i did. its not impossible. i know that bc i was like best friends with someone who i knew i could possibly love and he died and i did not get to tell him how i feel and i get to regret that now

CaseyLeigh This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
While I don't necessarily think that all 13 year olds have been in love, I do think that it is possible to fall in love at a young age--personally I fell in love for the first time at 14.

BethBeth said...
i deffiantely agree i meet my sweetheart when i was 13 :)

Chloe S. said...
Oct. 4, 2009 at 10:30 am:
Once upon a time, I would have agreed with your mother. But once you fall, you fall. Sometimes, it just happens. And sometimes, it leaves you infatuated and brokenhearted. . .

chewsbooks said...
Mar. 22, 2009 at 1:06 pm:
Wellll hi author here! I want to thank everyone for commenting. Like I wrote in the article above, people have given some very different opinions about my idea that you don't have to be grown up to love. Actually I think that teen's love is the most beautiful because it's innocent. or it used to be anyway, before ideas became planted in our heads that we have to do this or that when you are "going out." But i also believe that there is a limit on when it is appropreate to "love." You ca... (more »)

musicgirl757 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 21, 2009 at 7:31 pm:
Yeah, I don't see anywhere in the constitutuion that only adults are allowed to be in love. I hate it when adults say "You can't, your too young, you don't understand" adults need to understand that they are not the only people in this world. Not all of them, just some of them.

maza.love said...
Mar. 7, 2009 at 6:29 am:
Interesting idea. I'm 15, and never been in love. I don't think that people just fall in love at a certain time. However, i do agree that many adults need to cool it sometimes when speaking about young people and our ideas. Keep up your opinions, but make sure you've got some facts to back them up.

Britishgal said...
Mar. 5, 2009 at 6:50 pm:
I totally agree with you. Although I am not positive about the thirteen thing, i agree that adults think they have some wisdom that allows them to love and not teenagers. I infact think it is more likely to be the other way around. When you are a teenager i think you are going to have the truest type of love there is, because it is more likely to be 'innocent' and you dont have to worry about the 'adult things' they keep going on about - i didnt put that very well but i hope you know... (more »)

Missouri J. said...
Feb. 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm:
I really agree with your opinion. My mother was reading an ticl in a BRIO mag and she thought that it was silly that teens could actually fall in love. I just choose to keep my own opinions or post them here. Great work!

artofthedeath said...
Feb. 26, 2009 at 1:07 pm:
Okay, deary. I'm not going to argue with you. No, but love... it's something we can't define or shape into a specfic form. While at the age of 13 you can't love like an adult, you can love at a level that is not as real as well, adult love. We won't know what the difference is though until we grow up and experience this "greater" love ourselves.

bRonwYn_e replied...
Oct. 7, 2009 at 5:48 pm :
yeah we can love, but when you say adult love, do you mean a mature love? i totally realize that while we are children, we will love like children. what i want to know is what you think the differences are between child-like love and mature love? i know there are many :)