What Adults Don't Understand

By , Bon Aqua, TN
My mom was reading one of the poems of this magazine the other day, and she did something that really irked me. She was reading a poem from the February issue, Nothing Like. When she was finnished reading, she let out a 'humph', like she didn't actually belive that "kids" like us could know what love is yet. Like love is only for responsible adults. Well let me say something right here and right now: By the time you are thirteen, you have probably been in love. There I said it. Now people can argue about it.

EmeleeChan<3 said...
That is so true. Some experienced it and some haven't. I may seem a little dumb right? to some and to those. I'm actually 11 and a half, and am totally in love. and thats true. I lose my breath, my heart stops, and I feel like I am going to faint. and our love may seem weird. like very few have experienced. Me and my boyfriend have always loved eachother since 3rd grade, but never noticed/cared until now :)

Lollipop said...
So im 16 and i agree that adults are wrong when they say we dont know what love is. However, i disagree that you can be "in love" that young. You may love who your with, but your probabaly not "in love' because i think it take time to fully understand what that means. :) but this is just my opinion, and i'm sure most of you will disagree, but remember im on your side because....i love my boyfriend!!!!!

Already in love said...
Apr. 23, 2010 at 6:21 am
i fell in love with my soul mate when i was 12. were 18 now. and planning to get married when we finish grad. we also had sex at 12 and were eachothers first. i love him. and if he were to die. i would die to be with him. so take that people that dont beleive in love at a young age! thats mostly cause u were never in love at that age.

2308jmgl said...
I think you are absolutely right. You can be love at any age. You may not understand it, but it's there. That's what adults don't realize. Just because we are not always mature, and we don't always make the right decisions, we can still fall in love with someone. Even if we don't realize it until later on.

darkshadow247 said...
I think you are right. You can be in love with someone. I love him to death but he hurt me really bad he flirted with my mom! I was mad but I love him so much I don't know if I should get back with him or love him from a far.... He says hes sorry should I believe it and forgive him?

xo.forever said...
yeah, 13 is def. the youngest age.
i still love th same person

Teextormentr said...
Feb. 1, 2010 at 7:08 am
I agree. I fell in love at 13. But, he ways/ is 17. We had been dating for a year. He just broke up with me last week. He "wasn't happy." People can say that love doesn't exist when you're a teenager. But, I will argue that it's possible. It's an amazing feeling; like you're on an endless cloud. I'm waiting for him. I'll wait as long as I have to. I'm young,yes. And, I've had three guys come after me this past week. But, I'm waitin... (more »)

creativemind said...
i am in love. i hate when they just dont get it. so, i agree with you

BillyJoeBobKellyGeorge This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 21, 2010 at 12:28 am
I am going through a situation where my parents don't believe in young love, and is forcing me apart from my relationship. I believed in every ounce of love we had, and now i'm just heartbroken b/c i had to let him go to please my parents...

WriterA.M. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm 18 and have never been in love. Wow that's terrible.

Kelz1141 said...
Love is like an orgasim. Some people expierence them some don't. Even some adults haven't expierenced it, and some 13 year olds have. It just depends on you.

ToriLovett replied...
Best. Simile. Ever. HAHA.

melissaS said...
Love is such a complicated subject. The way one can love and the meaning of love is as ever changing as the path called life. Thirteen may hold the purest love, but that does not mean it can't exist. It means there is much more to learn. Adults also need to remember that, although they have many life experiences, there are so many more to go. Because the journey constantly changes, people constantly change. The reason one loves, what and who one loves, and why one loves is altered. I... (more »)

WriterFanatic This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 26, 2010 at 12:16 am

do you write poetry? Because that was a very poetic reply=)

You're also correct by the way. 

driversgurl said...
Nov. 18, 2009 at 9:41 am
i think that 13 year olds can experience love because i did. its not impossible. i know that bc i was like best friends with someone who i knew i could possibly love and he died and i did not get to tell him how i feel and i get to regret that now

CaseyLeigh This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
While I don't necessarily think that all 13 year olds have been in love, I do think that it is possible to fall in love at a young age--personally I fell in love for the first time at 14.

BethBeth said...
i deffiantely agree i meet my sweetheart when i was 13 :)

Chloe S. said...
Oct. 4, 2009 at 10:30 am
Once upon a time, I would have agreed with your mother. But once you fall, you fall. Sometimes, it just happens. And sometimes, it leaves you infatuated and brokenhearted. . .

chewsbooks said...
Wellll hi author here! I want to thank everyone for commenting. Like I wrote in the article above, people have given some very different opinions about my idea that you don't have to be grown up to love. Actually I think that teen's love is the most beautiful because it's innocent. or it used to be anyway, before ideas became planted in our heads that we have to do this or that when you are "going out." But i also believe that there is a limit on when it is appropreate to "love." You ca... (more »)

musicgirl757 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Yeah, I don't see anywhere in the constitutuion that only adults are allowed to be in love. I hate it when adults say "You can't, your too young, you don't understand" adults need to understand that they are not the only people in this world. Not all of them, just some of them.