Inspiration | Teen Ink

Inspiration

It’s funny; a man lacking a high school diploma is not the typical inspirational figure. A stereo type for a non-graduate human is typically: poor, unskilled, and lacking values. My father, dropped out in the ninth grade, but is the complete opposite of the stereotypical dropout. He inspires me in numerous ways, and I truly desire to be at least half the man he is. Whether it is handing out impeccable advice, being the family’s rock, or reprimanding for my own good, he is an inspiration no matter what.

My father decided school was not his niche during his freshman year of high school, so he dropped out and started a lawn company.  He did make some poor choices having three kids with his wife at the age of seventeen, one girl and a pair of twin females. Even with all of the on his shoulders, he continued to persevere through and work physically hard every day. Gaining knowledge and skill in his field of work, he continued to prosper and then I was born. This is when he began the journey of molding and shaping me into the being I am today. With strict but flexible rules he always has been there to inspire ideas and epiphanies in myself. I observe his abilities to keep the family intact throughout hardships and conflicts, and I desire to be the same family oriented man he is. It’s ironic, punishment has a negative connotation. In this case it’s the opposite. When my father lays punishment in my lap, it inspires me to continue persevering and pushing to obtain goals.

Randy Pausch's “The Last Lecture” was very inspirational itself. It is truly inspiring to see a man with such inadequacies and health issues to be upbeat. My father is alike and different to Pausch in many ways. Randy Pausch was a very educated man, obviously being a college professor. In this aspect my father is inadequate, but manages to persevere through experience and common sense, which is something he inspires me to gain. On the other hand, my father is a man who worked physically hard to earn his belongings whereas Pausch probably didn’t do much physically. I am not condoning dropping out but it shows the two different paths in life, mental and physical. In this case Pausch is inspiring because my path in life will involve education. There is one thing Pausch does very well. He knows exactly what he lives for, and that is his children. My father makes it very apparent that he loves us, and it’s not only through materialistic beings. Sometimes he just likes to spend time with us and I appreciate every minute of it. All in all, both men are by far inspirational in any separate and similar ways.  When it comes to inspiration, there is only so much someone can give you. Eventually it comes down too yourself will, are you willing to put the work in to make your dreams reality?

After watching "The Last Lecture" I chose to write about my own inspiration.