"You've Changed" | Teen Ink

"You've Changed"

By sarahmcmurtry SILVER, Strawberry Point, Iowa
sarahmcmurtry SILVER, Strawberry Point, Iowa

Sometimes it takes something horrible to realize something wonderful.

“You’ve changed.” How often do you hear this statement? Does it ever make you wonder if this is a good or bad thing? Do you want to live your life as the same static person? Always doing the same things, saying the same things, and acting the same way. And what exactly does “You’ve changed” mean. Because yes, I change every day. I grow a little, wear different clothes; maybe my hair is in a different style. If that’s what you mean then yes I’ve changed. But if you mean that I as a person have changed then I guess that’s right too. I’m not always going to like the same things. Sooner or later most people will grow out of playing with dolls or pretending they live in a different world. Sooner or later your view on the world changes. What use to be thought of as a beautiful and fun day because a grey and ugly day. You can no longer spend an hour looking at the clouds because responsibility kicks in. Whether you like it or not you need to start thinking about college, a career, or where your next meal is going to come from. You can’t stay a child forever. There comes a time when you need to grow up and act your age. This can happen sooner for some and this can result in the loss of once meaningful friendships.
But what if changing isn’t one of the first two but a combination of both. You start growing up and you “put on your big boy pants” and you see the world in a different light. Everything becomes black and white. Things that wouldn’t usually bother you start to. Having a father that doesn’t care starts to cut you with a knife and it makes you angry. Angry at everyone. You can become a mean person without even realizing it. It takes looking it at a different angle to notice, and when you do notice it’s too late. Everything is too late, and you can’t fix it.
So, my response to the statement “You’ve changed.” could be “Yes I have.” to some people. Or maybe “I’m sorry.” to the people who use to matter. And I’m sorry.

I'm not sure where writing this came from. And I'm almost ashamed to say that writing it brought me to tears.