Our Song | Teen Ink

Our Song

Music, more than any other art excites the senses; evoking memories and triggering emotion. My sisters and I occasionally sneak away to avoid our siblings progressing noise, and our parents constant nagging. It was nearing seven o’ clock p.m. when my oldest sister Brittney came into my room where Jessica (one of my younger sisters) and I had been painting our nails. She grabbed my arm, motioned to Jessica, pulled us down the stairs, and out the door. Her impulsiveness always takes me by surprise. We all climbed into the car. I watched as she put the key in the ignition, and almost as if she was in a hurry- pulled out of the circular driveway. I asked a little nervously where we were going, and to my pleasure she replied, “Where do you want to go?” We all laughed a little knowing that the only reason for this little outing was to get a break from homework and cleaning.

The decision was finally made to head to the mall. This was far enough away that it would give us some time to ourselves, and convenient enough to have food nearby. Speeding down the freeway laughing and talking, I was suddenly aware of the music playing in the car. It was a song I had never actually heard before but was all too familiar because of the number of times I had listened to my sister singing it. As the song played the lyrics flowed through my mind, “Our song is a slammin’ screen doors, sneekin’ out late, tappin’ on your window. When we’re on the phone and ya talk real slow- cause it’s late and your momma don’t know”. The words were easy to catch on to, and soon, we were all singing.

Quickly after, actions to the words evolved. It was definitely one of the moments where you think to yourself “Oh if anyone else were to see this”. We played the song what seemed like a hundred times before arriving at the mall. As we stepped out of the car, we all looked at each other and laughed at what we had been doing. On our way inside my sister, still laughing a little, turned to us and said “See guys, these are the times you’ll always remember- no matter how stupid.” I didn’t think about it much at the time, but now every time “Our Song” comes on the radio, or plays on my CD I remember that evening drive to the mall and how that song became our song.

My oldest sister has moved out now, and it is nice to have something that is still ours; something that defeats distance and transcends time. My sister was able to explain to me, even if it was unintended, how little things like music truly make the difference in our memories. Our past makes us who we are. As we grow and develop, though we change with time, it is our memories that keep us together with the people who matter most. It is a way of holding on to the things that truly matter; the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose.