To Love or Not to Love

Love is something I find very hard to understand....studies show that people can't actually love (like "he/she's the one!" love) until they are 18. Does that mean that before that age, every single feeling for the opposite gender we have is just an infatuation? If it is, then why do we even bother having boyfriends and girlfriends? Why do we deal with all the drama that comes with them? Maybe it's because we feel we need someone that likes us in a different way then our friends and family. Someone who will make our heart skip a beat when we see them. Someone who makes us feel like everything's okay when we hug them. Someone who seems to understand us unlike anyone else. I don't know, but that's my little theory so now the question is whether you choose to pretend it's real love or just a phase that will pass.

annelindy said...

I think love is often confused with infatuation (crushes) or lust... Both fall incredibly short of love. Love is when you would hold a bucket for that person when they're throwing up. Loving someone is staying up with them all night if they're afraid of something that might be incredibly stupid to you--like the fear of spiders or something--and actually being happy to do it for them. That's when you know you love them-- 'no greater love has a person than to lay down their life for their frien... (more »)

vampier said...
Apr. 19, 2011 at 8:38 am
that is an good one to ask some.....

sunriseusnset said...
I think love is something that we look at as almost a 'fairytale-like fantasy' since we are little. From princess movies to watching our parents kiss & hug. As we get older, we are curious about this little thing called love. But we don't realize that it's not all bliss until we experience it, whether we get out heart broken or not. I, personally have not had a boyfriend yet. I'm in high school & think it's the right age to start 'experimenting' if you will. But I watched many of my frie... (more »)

Jbabe said...
Apr. 6, 2011 at 9:55 am
im only 17, and i dont think that if you get in a relationship before your 18 that its just infatuation. trust me i know, you'll know when you have found that one special person. you just have to let them know that you are willing to take it to the next step, and that you truly love them. but dont get it mixed up with infatuation. love is a precious thing that if its broke, it takes a long time to get it back.

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 11, 2011 at 10:18 am
Oh yes!  if you could, read either of my articles "what love is to me" and "dating? protecting your heart" they're on this funky topic.  I likee this.