The One | Teen Ink

The One

October 13, 2010
By Ari-hime BRONZE, Dover, Delaware
Ari-hime BRONZE, Dover, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Love life and life will love you back. Love people and they will love you back."-Arthur Rubinstein


I've heard these two words applied to so many people. With each of my friends, they say that they've found "the one."
What exactly does that mean?
As I began to think more and more about it, I realized that I have absolutely no clue what that means. Is "the one" that boy who knows you better than anyone just because he's known you longer than anyone? Or is "the one" that strange boy on your bus that flirts with and offends you in turns? I know that so many of my friends would tell me that "the one" is that person you could never be without. You meet them, and you instantly think "This is the person I'll be with forever."
I don't know if I believe that. Hearing somebody say that they've found "the one" makes me think of so many songs and overly-dramatic shows where the person thinks they've found that one person that they're meant to be with forever, only to discover that "the one" wasn't who they thought they were. Is heartbreak as much a part of finding "the one" as it is a part of life?
What do you think?


The author's comments:
I actually thought about this for a very, very long time. It's a question that's bugged me ever since my best friend called her boyfriend "the one."