The One

I've heard these two words applied to so many people. With each of my friends, they say that they've found "the one."
What exactly does that mean?
As I began to think more and more about it, I realized that I have absolutely no clue what that means. Is "the one" that boy who knows you better than anyone just because he's known you longer than anyone? Or is "the one" that strange boy on your bus that flirts with and offends you in turns? I know that so many of my friends would tell me that "the one" is that person you could never be without. You meet them, and you instantly think "This is the person I'll be with forever."
I don't know if I believe that. Hearing somebody say that they've found "the one" makes me think of so many songs and overly-dramatic shows where the person thinks they've found that one person that they're meant to be with forever, only to discover that "the one" wasn't who they thought they were. Is heartbreak as much a part of finding "the one" as it is a part of life?
What do you think?

singingdetective said...
Oct. 20, 2010 at 7:17 am

It's really hard to know who is "the one" for us when we're in high school.

Personally, I believe that there are multiple "ones" (each complementing the best aspects in your personality and each with different dimensions that interest you). The difference is the way you interact with them. You have to chose which one you prefer to interact with, what do you value THE MOST? Humor, chemistry, intelligent conversations? If there's one persont that fits ALL the things you va... (more »)

Jyblu said...
Truthfully, I do not believe that a person can find "the one" on their first relationship because there are so many other people in the world just lying in wait for that chosen one. A blunt way to put it is that a person needs to go through trail and error until he or she finally ends up with a perfect mate. There may be other people who disagree with me but I think this is the correct way of finding "the one". Correct me if I'm wrong please!

VaB.lina said...
I agree with this.  I don't think that you ever just instantly think that you have found "the one".  I think that all things take time, even if that amount of time is shorter than some, it still does take time.  I have been basically been best friends with this guy forever, but that doesn't mean he is "the one", just because I have known him forever, and I don't think that people are able to find "the one" quickly.  Now that I think of it, im not a fan of those two words, how... (more »)