What has happened to Love?

If you look around you today, you see that there is more divorce than ever before. The phrase "I love you" is used so loosely. People will "make love" as if it were something tangible. I don't understand any of it. Do we really know what love is anymore? Why is it being abused? I can't help but wonder whenever I'm in a relationship that when my boyfriend says "I love you" if he really means it or he thinks its what I want to hear. Granted its nice to hear it, but only if he really means it. Otherwise, its just empty words. I only say "I love you" to those who are close to my heart. Whenever I walk down the school hallways, I hear people say "I love you" like it was almost a tease or something. Why? Why do they do that? What if they said that to someone they were in a relationship with and said it in the same tone? Would they believe them?

When did all of this start? What happened to love?

Faith.Hope.LoveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I'd appriciate it if i got feedback as well as ratings. Thank you :)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was a good article, in its truth. Indeed, it's very sad how much divorce is occurring all over the world and how much people cheat on each other. This is a terrible occurence, for all you need is love!

Faith.Hope.LoveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 6:59 am :
You'd think that with something that everyone needs and desires that it would be treated sacred.