5 Signs You've Been Replaced

1. THE INSIDE JOKES

So, originally, you and your best buddy were all laughing with random things that meant nothing to anyone else. If all of a sudden you see your best friend dancing like a freak and speaking in some unreal language with a new person, it's time to get your pick axe ready: the avalanche is coming.

EMERGENCY SIGN: The avalanche has begun if the jokes are about you...and they're more than playful.

2. THE FRIDAY NIGHT STORIES

You and your friend used to spend nearly every Friday night together, eating popcorn and watching craptacular movies. Suddenly, you find yourself alone, and your insensitive, ignorant friend starts talking about their awesome, fun night with their new buddypal in front of you. At this point, I hope you're wearing your hardhat, because the rocks are beginning to fall.

EMERGENCY SIGN: You know you're in danger if suddenly your friend is busy each and every week.

3. THE SLEEPOVER REJECTION

Say you're having a sleepover with your friend and their new friend. Or maybe you're paired with them in science class or whatever; I'm too lazy to go into detail about more than one example. If your friends are off in the corner giggling and being stupid without you, and you're on your laptop writing articles about the signs of being replaced, then you know something's up. Tie yourself to the nearest tree; the rocks are hitting you hard.

EMERGENCY SIGN: If THEY have a party and don't invite you, don't hold your breath the friendship of yours will last.

4. THE LOOP YOU'VE BEEN DRAWN OUT OF

You haven't talked to either of your friends in forever. You have no idea what the heck is going on in their lives. One day, you finally talk to one of them and you casually ask about the other friend's lives. If they flood your head with news and information about the latest happenings of your other friend, then you know they've probably been talking and haven't taken the time to call you. I mean, sure, you could have called them, but if they didn't answer, get ready. Hope you brought your safety goggles, because the avalanche is going to blind you like the sun.

EMERGENCY SIGN: They suddenly know more about your friend than you do...could be a coincidence, but it's hard not to feel like the third wheel.

5. BEING IGNORED ISN'T BLISS

There comes a day in all friendships where it just...ends. I hate to be the total downer here, but the truth hurts. (I'm not mean; I'm honest. ;) So, if all the signs above have been happening to you, brace yourself. Chances are you're the new third wheel; or even worse: the old best friend. But, seriously, don't worry. Hate to get all Oprah on you here, but if someone who you were so close to is going to replace you so easily, they weren't worth your time in the first place. So the avalanche will hit, but it will end. You'll make it out okay.

Cars said...
May 23 at 7:26 am
Ok so I have this best friend I have known since I was in 3rd grade( I'm in 6th), let's just call her A. We would do everything together. This year was her last year at the school. Everything was going great, but when we went to Natures Classroom, everything kinda started to change. She stopped hanging out with me. Because we weren't in the same room, she became closer with someone else, (let's call her K). So after we got back and it was April break, me and A stop texting. W... (more »)

coco said...
Apr. 20 at 4:23 pm
So this new girl has become bffs with my bff and i feel really lonely. Cause when i watch then i see how happy they are. I remember when we used to be like that. Now all my friend does is talk about her. I dont know what to do. And i told my friend that we are not talking a alot anymore and she just say bye. Do u think we should still be friends?

Zaani said...
Apr. 5 at 1:25 pm
i can surely relate...by a lot

yeoja.sm said...
Wow, lately I've noticed this happening to me. It's my freshman year in high school and she's the only one I had. Known her since 6th grade and we were best friends until she met new people. I'm not great in groups and I tend to prefer enjoying conversations one on one. Whenever there's a group, I'm the one who's third wheeling or heck even fourth wheeling! I guess I'm a pretty easy person to replace considering that fact that I find myself boring, shy, and surprise! I suffer from social anxiety... (more »)

Jess said...
Nov. 20, 2016 at 8:43 am
How do I get through this? She is my only friend and she's the only one I trust. I moved schools recently and I feel like she doesn't need me anymore. It used to be just us two. Now I'm out of the social loop. I'm scared to face the truth but what if I'm just dragging her down? Help me.

Iman1 replied...
Jan. 11 at 11:52 am
Actually I'm in the same situation My best friend moved to another And it was sad because we didn't have time to say bye to each other. When she left , she promised me that we will talk every,nothing will change between us and we will still the best friend forever. 1months it's was okay , we were texting every day 2months it's was different , we were talking 2days per week After that she talked to me and said she want to be best friend with one girl Now she doesn't ... (more »)

IMightBeAReplacement said...
Omg, yess! My so called best friend (lets name her sally) would always do things with me in the summer. ever since I quit band, shes been hanging out with my other best friend (lets name her betty) that i would swim and play tennis with, and she was also in band. Sally, Betty, and I were really close, when I was in Band. Ever since I quit, Betty and Sally have been telling me how much fun they've been having at each others houses literally every weekend. :( Sad to say, friendships don't last. I... (more »)

Neelie said...
Sept. 2, 2016 at 2:00 am
OH MY GOD! SAME! Literally my so called "best friend" have literally talk day and night not stop our streak got to idk 93 but just a few days ago she started talking to a girl lets call her Lucy in history me and my "best friend" let's call her Cara have our last to classes together accelerated English and history and we sit next to eachother in both classes (haha SIKE) I walk in shortly behind Cara this one day in social studies and j see her pointing at MY seat and say... (more »)

SugarPlum13 said...
I'm so confused the i think the closest person in my life, the one that u consider a sister to me is doing this to me. I don't know how to tell her. But now I know that maybe she got tired of being my need sister and needs someone else...

replacedperson123 said...
whoop whoop :) -\

piercetheallie said...
Mar. 20, 2016 at 9:43 am
This has been happening to me. My "best friend" will pretty much hang out with anybody but me and she never asks me to hang out. I don't ask anymore because I know that she's probably hanging out with somebody else.

shae96 replied...
feel the same way.

ashleybarnett said...
Mar. 3, 2016 at 10:14 am
This is so true its scary... like i haven't realized until now but my one friend is doing this to me! this was very well written and i can totally relate

Sam30 replied...
I agree 100% with you it is so true and so sad to be reading this

xxswaggurlxx said...
I had a best friend and all of this happened i really wish she hadent replaced me but i guess thats the way the cookie crumbles :(

norbitxx said...
I really relate to this article, every word of it. 'the giggling in the corner' does my head in. I used to be really close with her but gradually we drifted waay apart. Its so annoying. They sit together in all the subjects they can, so I sit on my own in front of them. It drives me mad. Im 3rd wheeling constantly, so much its sad. Nobody texts me, i have no social life. When we were best friends, she alienated us from the bigger group, so im either awkwardly standing with the group or awkwardly... (more »)

gymnast123 said...
May 24, 2015 at 9:41 am
All of that is happening to me but there are Ali Ava and Liv. Between the three of them, I do their homework. They like to take pictures with each other and I'm always the one taking the pictures

AwesomeTt23 said...
May 11, 2015 at 8:50 am
This happened to me, the fifth sign just happened like a click of a finger though, no in-between! But then I found some new friends!! But my ex-best friend and her new best friend have come along and have been ruining that friendship for me, I'm not sure what to do, any help? (And also, this is so good! Sadly it's true :()

norbitxx replied...
Me too!! I know this was from ages ago but it is the most annoying thing on this planet. They ruin all my friendships, im going to be a loner until I graduate.

hurt23 said...
May 2, 2015 at 4:55 am
i feel like the 5th one is true for me, my friend has a new friend that she likes more way than me. im getting replaced