What does the Word Love really Mean? | Teen Ink

What does the Word Love really Mean?

May 16, 2010
By JustinPugh BRONZE, Buckhannnon, West Virginia
JustinPugh BRONZE, Buckhannnon, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't let what you can't do stop you from what you can do" - John Wooden

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” - Gandhi


Do you believe in love at first sight? Will I ever find Mr. Right? Am I really going to spend the rest of my life with him? Is there really something called love? These are just some of the basic questions we think about when we are talking about love. Dictionary.com describes love as a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend. My thoughts on love have never wavered. There is the love between family members, love between a mother and her child, love of a husband or wife, but can a simple relationship turn into a love story? Most high school relationships these days tend to be nothing more than just a fling. They never last for more than a few weeks to a few months. It’s very casual and never very serious. One of the phrases that are just tossed around like it is nothing between these high school guys and girls is the words… I love you. I met a couple who knew very little of one another while I was in high school. They had dated for approximately 48 hours and then they said I love you to one another. Is that what love really amounts to in today’s society? Are the words I love you just another phrase in the English language now? I always felt that when a person said the words I love you, that they were saying them because they truly meant them. It seems more and more likely that this is the case no longer. Increasingly, the words are said sooner and sooner in every relationship. Sometimes it can be rushed and you move to fast and in others you just feel the need to say it but really do not mean what you say. This is the case far too often. When you love someone, you must have a deep emotional connection and a warm passion and desire to be with them, and you would do anything for them. Relationships are tricky. You must put the other person in highest regards and treat your girlfriend like a princess and your boyfriend like a prince. Love is not all fun and games. It’s not something to mess around with. People’s emotions are not to be played with. It is important to always remember that the words I love you mean that you care for that significant other more than life itself. You must be willing to sacrifice time, effort, and fun in order to be happy. Love is happiness with deep emotional and physical connections. Connections, trust, and communication are all important in achieving love in a relationship. Also, you shouldn’t have to work at love, love should be able to find you and just happen.