Hardships of being in Love as a Teen | Teen Ink

Hardships of being in Love as a Teen

February 25, 2010
By mikaela weiss BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
mikaela weiss BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Hardships of being in love as a Teen

What a huge word “love.” It may not be long, but it means so much. This feeling may be reached, but when? Many people argue that you have to come of an older age to be able to realize it. I say that even at the age of 15 it is possible to find love. Although it is hard to find it is still possible. It’s hard to realize it because what could be love may just be an attraction between one another.

Love is based on many things like friendship, good feelings, and yes, physical attraction. I believe that adults don’t understand adolescents as well as they think they do. They tend to say things like “oh, it’s not love sweetie. It’s just lust.” They don’t know how teens feel. They don’t understand the fact that it very well could be love. Teenagers have the right to be in love too. I think that teenage love is real. Yes, some idiots are like I love you after two days, but others actually feel it and truly care for someone like that.

All the things that adults feel when they are in love teenagers can feel too. They feel confused, out of control, full of happiness, and lucky. When you walk into the room and see your significant other and your heart lights up you can be of any age. As Dr. Seuss says, “When you’re in love you can’t fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams.” It shows that love is irresistible and it makes you happier than anything else.

Love is supposed to overpower anything else. For instance, many will join the army or navy leaving their significant other at home, love should last that. If it’s true love it should be there when you return. Now the definition of love is a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person. Now why can’t a teenager feel that? They are human too. Some may say “oh, that’s too in-depth for a teen; they couldn’t possibly feel something to that extent.” Well you’re wrong about that.

Love is broad. Many different people could love many different kinds of people. Why do humans love? Well, personally I feel that we need to feel cared about. We need to know someone out there needs us in the world as much as we need them. Now any human, at any age, could need to feel wanted. When we mix the feeling of needing to be wanted with the feeling of deep attraction and devotion, we get love. Who is to say that teens can’t have that friendship set on fire?

"One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love."- Sophocles. Teenagers go through many changes and have many problems. They lose friends in high school; people who they thought were there for them suddenly are not. It feels nice when a teen finds someone they truly care about and it’s also nice when they realize they finally have someone who will be there for them and cares about them as much as they care. Others should think about that before they judge.