The Dating Game: School Drama Goes Haywire | Teen Ink

The Dating Game: School Drama Goes Haywire

“Oh, did you hear who’s dating…” “Did you know she has a crush on…” “He broke up with me last night and…” Every days rumors and comments like this warble within schools nationwide without respite. Students participate in this universally, on the drama battlefield. From elementary to high school, the dating game is making its crackdown on kids and teenagers alike. And, now is the time to stop. Now is the time to break the board to prevent the hands of tragedy from taking control, and the time to control the motives of obsessive absurdity.

There’re millions of reasons why kids date. They do it because it’s natural to them; it’s the environment they were exposed to growing up. Their parents’ lives, medias, magazines, popularity and friends are all influences. They might even do it out of bitter resentment. Although these are all triggers, nothing compares to the simple “crush.” Just because you like someone, is it the wisest thing to go out? As young people (one myself), we don’t always have the maturity to know that going from dating from one person to another is wrong. In doing that, people take relationships lightly, foolishly missing the point.

In dating, there’s no growth in a student’s life concerning education. Girls break down in class in a river of tears, or guys just might be a slumping rock on their desk. I once, before 6th grade witnessed soon-to-be 9th graders in a fist fight (mixed in with cussing) over a girl they both wanted. Fortunately, it soon ended. Do you want to end up like that? I also speculate on students in class, chit-chatting on the new crazy couple. Practically a fourth of the conversations that occur in public schools are in this category. Rather than hearing permanent, positive happenings about relationships, many students throw what happens into the trash, tossing a little bit of themselves with it. So, what purpose is there traveling in and out of relationships going nowhere?

Oh, and don’t get me started on ages. Students anywhere between 1st grade and 12th go out, many of which aren’t appropriate ages. In seventh grade, one girl was surprised to hear I’d never dated. She told me she started in 1st grade. Isn’t that a bit young? I mean, you were only starting to read.

When you mesh all this together, the results are pretty messy. If you want the honest-to-goodness truth for the purpose of dating is, you better hold your breath. Marriage. Can you imagine yourself getting married in a year or two? Well, if not, you better cut it with the girlfriend-boyfriend business. Looking around the hallways, it’s quite heartbreaking to see so many of my peers, at such a sensitive, difficult age tossing their lives around as if their relationships don’t have significant value. Studies show that 68% of the people who responded to the statement “ I wouldn’t be so lonely if I had a boyfriend or girlfriend,” found it true. I don’t mean to target those who are cautious and careful, nor do I mean to brutally slander those who aren’t. But, much of this drama is caused by desire that shouldn’t be filled with boyfriends or girlfriends, for getting what you want isn’t always the best for you.

How long do your relationships last? Why do you date? For my fellow peers, any age, I wish only for your benefit, and to show that this must come to a halt. This is serious. Dating shouldn’t be toyed with. For in the end of this game, no one will come out victorious.

I wrote this so that maybe it will click in somebody's mind that what they're doing is wrong. I was inspired because all this goes on in the school and it's just sickening. I feel so bad for these people. I don't want them regretting. I want them to see what the purpose of dating really is.

on Dec. 24 2009 at 4:07 pm
biggerinfinities SILVER, Superior, Colorado

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

I totally agree with you! did you know that when humans are in their adolecent years, they cant process emotion and read expresions well at all?so yeah, the look you saw on her face last night wasnt fear, it was anger, and yeah, they way you teased her about it was why she ditched you~ stuff like that happens all the time thogh i believe you are slightly more mature when you are sixteen and easier to do ~ anyway, just my opinion

on Dec. 22 2009 at 4:36 pm
family_includes_I GOLD, Sciliy, Other

"You can only be young once, but you can always be immature"

I get that I mean, it's not like your gonna marry the guy/girl you go out with in elementery school but........just curious why is highschool dating so bad?

on Dec. 13 2009 at 1:53 am
caitlin.calamity BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Action and reaction, ebb and flow, trial and error, change - this is the rhythm of living. Out of our over-confidence, fear; out of our fear, clearer vision, fresh hope. And out of hope, progress.
-Bruce Barton

Why are you so against dating? Not once in this whole article do you mention why you are against it? I agree that dating shouldn't be for young children, but by high school most people are ready to start having boyfriends and girlfriends. Dating in high school helps people to know what they are looking for in a relationship and what they like about people and why. These things are essential to growing up. And honestly, if the gossipers don't have "who's dating who" to gossip about, they'll just gossip about something else, and dating is a relatively safe subject for people to gossip about anyway.