My Engagement

It's never as simple as a yes or a no. You get to know the other's family, their friends..their life. As teens, it can be easier, but harder at the same time. As crazy as it seems, the adults have it easier than us when falling in love.

I'm a teenager, and I'm in love. What is love, you ask? My definition of loving someone is that they'd be one of the 5 things you list when faced with the classic question, "Trapped on a desert island, 5 things. What do you pick?". He'd be the first person I'd pick.

But sadly, we're just teens. We haven't 'experienced life' or 'done anything special', yet we're the future leaders of this world. We DO make a difference. If we can make a change in this world, how come we can't really know what love is?

I will marry the guy I'm with, like many other teens know they'll marry the one they're with right this very second. I'm living out my engagement, one cough at a time.

PeachyKeenInPa said...
It's just not a realistic dream. I was there.  I thought I was gonna marry the guy I lost my virginity to but we broke up and it sucked.  And it still does.  We're not allowed to talk because of what we did.. I'm just trying to help :)

bound4life4ever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

excuse me miss.... may i ask: how old r u?!

no disrespect but u really gonna marry him? like dont front, b real w urself 4 a sec.  srry if i sound stuck up..but really?

izzygurl replied...
May 16, 2011 at 6:37 pm :
actually i think it was just something she said so that her article sounded nice...

Weezmarie said...
Sept. 21, 2010 at 12:08 am:
I congradulate you on your engagement; but I don't think you should rush into a marriage by no means. You're young, and just starting out in life. Take things slow; you'll know in the long run if the commitment you're going to make is sincere :)

tianaxbiddy said...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 5:04 pm:
true....i also kno i am goin to marry my current bf. he as already proposed.....well if my nanas ring counts then yes. xD

tianaxbiddy replied...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 5:05 pm :
we have already been talkn about wat its goin to b like wen we r married (im 15 he is 16 im a soon 2 b sophmore he is a soon 2 b junior)

Duckie430This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 30, 2010 at 8:59 am:
this is true...actually, about 40% of people will marry their high school or college sweetheart

kitty08 said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 7:55 pm:
im happy 4 u and knw how u feel im borderline 18 and me and my bf plan on gettn married but we have tlkd bout our wat if's nobody really knws wat will happen in the future so i say go ahead get married and if things dnt work out by then well then u knw it wasnt meant 2 be

dReameRboy13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 3, 2010 at 12:26 pm:
This whole situation is circumstantial. Personally, I think it is STUPID for anyone in high school to get engaged because they do have a whole new life ahead of them. They don't know who will stick with them and who will fade away. It's too risky and about 96.325% of those people will stop dating after high school. Good luck to you, though.

grasslova said...
I have one question for you: do you love him enough to stay with him for the rest of your life? Because that's what marriage is supposed to be. Two people in love enough that they want to stay together forever. I really am not trying to offend you, but rather make you ponder. Make sure that you love him, and that he really loves you back, you deserve that. Every girl out there does. Also, make sure he is your very best friend. The reason I am saying this is because that's what love is-... (more »)

EmilyEccentric(: This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 19, 2009 at 9:09 pm :
You know, I've actually thought about that a lot, and honestly, I can see myself with him for the rest of my life. He, thankfully, is my best friend. I can see where you're coming from, and thank you for your feedback.(:

Ren-P. said...
Sept. 29, 2009 at 12:27 am:
I like the way you wrote this article, and I think it is very cool, and sweet. Good luck! :)

kellygurl365 said...
i have thought this many times but i am the type of girl that is blinded by love and cant tell the diffrence... i live in the moment and make many drastic decisions while living in the moment and whatch it come bite me in the but

smileysdeadvalentine said...
Sept. 28, 2009 at 10:09 am:
i'm glad about your engagement. i hope everything goes well, if you think he is who you want to be with then don't let any one tell you that it won't work out.

Chelsea M. said...
I agree it's very sweet. But I've never thought I'd marry a boyfriend that i've had in highschool. I think that getting married too soon would be a mistake(not saying your engagement is a mistake!). I've just always thought I would be more logical and think better when I was older and then I'd find someone nice, someone who cares about me! :) hope everything goes well with you and your guy!

Emily T. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 27, 2009 at 6:48 pm :
Yeah, I understand what you mean. And who knows, something might happen to me and my guy, but the fact adults put high school kids down by saying, "Don't worry, it won't last anyway", is what gets me going.(:
thanks for the feedback!

forever_dancer said...
sweet.... i like it

Belidama replied...
Feb. 9, 2010 at 8:45 am :
This is really cute :)
I hope you do end up spending the rest of your lives together