Teenage Love?

By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?

crazy one said...
on Dec. 16 2011 at 2:10 pm
i soo agree its so sudden its like thats inmature rite thier but u knw some of then really do work

crazy one said...
on Dec. 16 2011 at 2:07 pm
I think what u are sayin is true but i dnt really knw wat u r sayin cas u say one thing than the othe no disreapect just sayin it wat i think is that some kids act like they like eachother but they really dnt and that culd end in eart break its happened an its really sad but then u knw they became frenns but she still liked him but he didnt like her and when he went out wit another gurl it was sad cas she look sad and his pittiful sell he looked like nothin happen

on Dec. 15 2011 at 9:48 am
I think it doesnt even matters if your dating at what age because if they both like eachother than they could go out and have some fun. I know some people who dated and now they are married and they both loves eachother. even if they are still little kids, they should still go out but i think they shouldnt go out yet because they wont know anything.

kuvhlubkoj said...
on Dec. 15 2011 at 9:46 am
I agree with the article, teenage love can happen. I also do know some people who dated in high school and now are married and happy. Teenage love is a special thing.

on Dec. 13 2011 at 4:00 pm

I think it's possible at any age to be in love. Now a good portion of the time, when you're in middle school, your hormones obviously go crazy right around there, and you suddenly feel the need to be held and be kissed etc. etc. so that's why so many people might come to the conclusion that teenage love doesn't exist. But it is my belief that love is available and exists at any age. 

But yes, most teens aren't fully matured which again lesssens the odds of real teen love, but if a teenager can love their parents, they can feel real love. Simple as that. Of course there's gonna be differences between the two loves, but the concept is still the same.

on Dec. 8 2011 at 7:36 pm
Kingdom_of_the_Forgotten GOLD, Ogden, Utah

"Time, the cradle of hope.... Wisdom walks before it, opportunity with it, and repentance behind it: he that has made it his friend will have little to fear from his enemies, but he that has made it his enemy will have little to hope from his friends." ~Charles Caleb Colton

I've fallen in love. I'm not sure that the love was worth the pain though, when she didn't love me back. It exists though.

Sophia said...
on Dec. 7 2011 at 8:41 am
I don't really know if I belive in teenage love. I guess thats because I never falled in love.

on Dec. 6 2011 at 9:37 am
YES!!! i thanks teen love in true! im a 9th grader and i have been dating this girl for 2 year!!!! its because i love her!!!!!!!!

on Dec. 5 2011 at 5:13 pm
aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

My parents met in elementary school, and happily celebrated their 24 year marriage anniversary this past October. So, yes, I agree.

on Dec. 4 2011 at 12:24 pm
Katrina Kinder, Grenada, Mississippi
0 articles 1 photo 1 comment
You should check out the book my boyfriend and I wrote together.  He's 17 and I'm 15.  We've been together for over 2 years.  This book is full of our advice on how to have a great relationship.  It's called "Secrets to Your FairyTale Romance ~ For Teens" .  Get your copy on Amazon - makes a great Christmas Gift and maybe your boyfriend can learn some tips on how to be sweeter.     

lalal___ said...
on Nov. 30 2011 at 7:09 pm
lalal___, Concord, California
honestly i dont believe in teenage love......it does nothin bt make yu feel happy for a short period of time before the guy/grl tht yur wit finds someone else and dumps yu to the side of the road wit unanswered questions and broken.....teen love is useless and pointless......from my viewin of it at this age all guys want is what most of them cant get if the grl doesnt give it to em they jst dump and move to the nxt.....plus right now be as independent as yu can....dont rely on some jerk/bizzy tht yu prob. to good for......live life <3

poop546 said...
on Nov. 28 2011 at 8:27 pm
i love poop, poop is tastey, poop poop poop poop green poop is the best poop poop pooop

Bebax3 said...
on Nov. 28 2011 at 9:13 am
Bebax3, Chelsea, Massachusetts
i personally wouldint put an age on love i think people can fall in love at any age for example ...my brother has been dating his girl friend /now wife since elementry school in grade 3 and they are still happily in love but everyone is diffrent it depends how the person is rather than love its self. if you found the right person and know how to obtain love and not play with it then there you go you found your lover but if your the type to play around then you might never find yours just know that there is love out there...you just got to look for it willingly and let it seek you when the time comes and be willing to obtain that love

on Nov. 23 2011 at 3:26 pm
MarissaWhitecloud SILVER, Oskaloosa, Iowa
Yes, this is true. Sometimes people date for like 3 weeks and they start to say "I love you" when in all fact they don't.

on Nov. 22 2011 at 5:08 pm
bubbagump96 GOLD, Frederick, Maryland

"A friend shares their umbrella. A best friend grabs it and yells 'Run, Forrest, run!'".

I believe that if you're a mature teenager then true love in highschool is possible. My parents started dating when my mom was in 8th grade any  my father in 9th. They had a happy, healthy relationship. There was never any adultery or anything of the sorts. They were married when my mom was 20 and stayed married until my Dad's death some 13 years after their being together. I also know of another couple (that happens to be my parents best friends) that have also been together since their freshman/sophmore years of highschool. So I guess this makes me biased. ;) I loved the article by the way. Short and sweet, also very thought provoking. :) 

pink unicorn said...
on Nov. 22 2011 at 8:40 am
i like you

Mady said...
on Nov. 22 2011 at 8:38 am
that is very discriminating......

Madelyn said...
on Nov. 22 2011 at 8:33 am
it leaves them no where

PiinkFaeriie said...
on Nov. 18 2011 at 1:58 pm
PiinkFaeriie, Weslaco, Texas

"Tell me. I've trusted no one since my parent's death. So why is it that I find it so easy to tell and give you everything I treasure...." -Alexialle Matthews

I truly do belive in love, being 16 and in high school, I think I am not only entitled to my own opinion but to my own experience. My boyfriend is really sweet and despite the bumps in our relationship, we have managed to dismiss each and every one of them and tell each other we love one another. True love has no limits and you are never supposed to allow jealous and envious individuals to get between you. My advice to all other young high school lovers is to be yourself in the relationship and always be open about your feelings to one another.

Frank said...
on Nov. 16 2011 at 9:34 am
When people think about love, true love, they usually think about movies. But if movies are acting, and unreal. Where does that leave love?

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!