Teenage Love?

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?

Reagan said...
Don't forget, love is a verb, not just a noun--and action, not just an emotion. True love is constantly sacrificing and giving of yourself to put the needs and desires of the other person above your own.

BookWorm579 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Meredith, I agree with you that love is an emotion not defined by age, but I'd like to make a slight critique on the writing of the article. The point where you present the argument against teen love isn't clearly identified as a position you oppose. When I reached your personal opinion I was very confused by what seemed to be a 180-degree change of heart. Just make sure that your opinion is clearer next time.

le_dolly69 said...
Dec. 12, 2009 at 10:50 am
actually i do believe in teenage love...
i mean i have dated several guys and it did not end up well, but just because it isn't going well for me does not mean that other people can fall in love. and tha fact that high school sweethearts sometimes do end up together only proves that teen love is real

lalalalove! said...
Thank you for posting this! I am a teenager who is very much in love.. It may seem odd to say since our 2 month anniversary is in 2 days, but My boyfriend and i are very close, and very in love. We have future plans. SERIOUS future plans, not little fantasies. My mother married her high school sweetie.. She went through 2 failed marriages first, but her and my step dad are very happy together. This is actually quite an issue in teens lives. Especially mine because I have been badly hurt, physica... (more »)

mylifeisjustnoise said...
Dec. 11, 2009 at 7:46 am
Why it's true that teenagers can be truly in love, I think the issue people have with it is that teenagers are notoriously bad at identifying their own emotions, and can easily mistake infatuation with love. I'm sure you know/have known teens who are 'madly in love' one week and 'completely over him/her' the next. It's kids like this that adults are thinking of when they give their token 'You're too young for love' speech.

erinzombie said...
I think because its your first love it endures. The idea of losing something so important is terrifying and I think that makes young love stronger somehow.

smurfit said...
i think there is no age in true love. anyone can be in love in highschool or in middle school. like a friend once told me age does not matter when your in love!<3<3 {cindy was here}

LavenderStone said...
Dec. 8, 2009 at 11:46 am
I think teenage love is real, but doesn't necessarily happen for everyone. I, personally, don't think I'll fall in love now because the guys around me are still growing into their skin. Love takes some level of maturity. Otherwise, it could be mistaken for something else.

cheywan♥♥ said...
i think that it is you that decides if its true love.like you subconciously just know from the beginning wether it will last.i believe that true love can be from when your 1 years old to when your 99.

photographer_author_artist_lover replied...
i agree. I love my boyfriend, even though I have some people who tell me, "Oh its just a phase, you'll be tired of him in a couple of months." My mom tells me serious relationships at this age are bad, and that I shouldn't have one. But I truly care about im and love him, and that's all that should truly matter.

But then again they're may be teens who mistake other feelings for love, and there are others who just love the idea of being in love, rather than actuall love for the person. You just have to think about how you really feel and make sure its love.

loveexists replied...
oh my boyfriends parents did this! ive been with him for 3 years .. im currently 16 .. and we broke up twice but realized during those times we had to grow up and now we're happy .. hes a year older than me .. but its awesome .. he got me a promise ring ... and sure sometimes that promise is bbroken but love is real you just gotta believe it is ! :)

Scripted said...
I think that to be able to know and feel what love is, goes hand in hand with the level of maturity. I am not dismissing the idea that teens can fall in love, but I am saying that a lot of preteens mix love up with such powerful feelings as lust, infatuation, and obsession. I know many people, I for one, that dated in high school or earlier who thought they were in love. When they finally break up with that person and find someone else they suddenly feel and experience more feelings toward this ... (more »)

Ilovecandy687 said...
teenage love is real because thats where it starts in HIGH SCHOOL.

himu131195 said...
Nov. 25, 2009 at 10:46 am
teenage love does exist....not everyone has it or may not even realize they have it...but it is possible....though maybe not for everyone..

BaBii_GhErL said...
teenage love is a real thing...i have been a victim of love...and i am 17 senior still in high skewl...love can happen anywhere so why cant love happen in high skewl??

C.C. said...
Nov. 24, 2009 at 11:04 am
You know, I read through all these comments on "teenage love" and I think that it may exist and it may not. I am a faithful Christian, and I beleive that GOD will put someone in your path that HE wants you to spend the rest of your life with. With some people they may find that person in high school, and some other people he may put someone in their path at an older age, like when they are in fact Adults. So really on this topic I am kinda nuetral.

carolineee said...
i believe in it, but you have to consider the strength of the love. Some people say that teens cant love eachother, but they can, emotions and hormones just get in the way very often. The love gets stronger as the two people get stronger

MangoMadness said...
Nov. 21, 2009 at 1:00 am
I am only 13, and I am TOTALLY in love. I don't wanna hear a single flippin person tell me it's not real. "He's the reason for the teardrops on my guitar, the only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star"-Taylor Swift.

A_writers_Beauty replied...
Ah I AGREE SOOOO MUCH! I am also a teenager and in love. I can't tell you how great it is. Some people may ask, "Well. What if he hA very slight chance. It depends on the personality of that person." And right now, i can't imagine him hurting me. I feel as if it was impossible. And there are DIFFERENT kinds of love as well. sometimes people call the love that involves " sexual " events "fake" however it may not always be. Then there is the pure love that c... (more »)