Teenage Love? | Teen Ink

Teenage Love?

August 19, 2009
By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
9 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 923 comments.


on Feb. 28 2014 at 7:11 pm
pinkplants PLATINUM, Brandon, Mississippi
39 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Whatever you are physically...male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy--all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

I believe in it as well. Love is beautiful, and no one can pin a time on when someone falls in love. 

on Feb. 24 2014 at 11:35 am
chocolatepandas, Spur, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
wow.. that cute tho they haved loved each other for a long time then

on Feb. 24 2014 at 11:34 am
chocolatepandas, Spur, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
love is true maybe you havent found they right person to be in love yet

Hms1214 BRONZE said...
on Jan. 9 2014 at 12:33 pm
Hms1214 BRONZE, Cochranton, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 13 comments
this is so inspiring thank you for letting me believe my aunt again

rose_dancer7 said...
on Jan. 8 2014 at 8:14 pm
Trying to make love sound like science is a joke. Obviously if you think love is lust some form of a hormone set off inside your body, then you have never experienced true love before. Love comes in all shapes and forms. Its different for everybody. For some people love is a mature and and an adult like relationship. For others love is silly and playfull. Other people experience pasion and insane feelings that no one but the two of them will ever understand. How can adults know what true love is if it is different for everyone. Really they just are afraid that they don't have a real deffinition for it, so they try to use science and other lame excuses to reasure themselves. They tell themselves true love doesnt exist for teens and sometimes anybody because it doesnt make logical sense to them. But thats what is so magical and endearing about love. There is no logic and knowledge behind it, people are just following their hearts and their souls blindly into unknown territory, and sometimes thats just to much for people to take. If you say love for teens can't exist because their brains havn't developed yet then what about this - maybe the undeveloped brain is the cause for being able to love so easily. Thay dont entirely care about what is logicaly correct, so they can alow themselves to ignore the fact and love someone. Thay can push aside the scientific "evidence" that love is just some hormone and embrace the fact that they have opened their heart to another living soul. Teens might not be as mature or developed as adults but that doesnt mean, in any way shape or form, that they cant love someone. Loving someone happens from the inside, but that doesnt mean from the brain. It means from the heart.

on Dec. 6 2013 at 6:37 am
What is love? Can anyone tell me? What do you mean when you say "I love you"? Is it a declaration of affection and admiration or is it a selfish demand to be loved in return? What if the person to whom you say those "three little words" says to you in return: "Why, thank you, that's very sweet of you" and leaves it at that ... with no reciprocal words of affection in exchange? Will you feel rejected and threaten to do something stupid in order to get the attention of the object of your adoration? What if you find the object of your adoration in the arms (or bed) of someone else? Will you throw a jealous fit and threaten to kill one - or both - of them? Is that what love is all about? How can you wish evil upon, or want to harm, the person(s) you profess to love? Is loving someone not wanting them to be the happiest they can be, even if it means that they find some of that happiness in being intimate with one or more other people? Is it not possible to love more than one person with the same intensity at the same time? Have you even thought about it? Is "love" owning , or being owned by, another person? Is it a form of voluntary slavery? Why must the opposite of "love" be "hate"? Can it not also be simply not caring, without any animosity involved? Please tell me. Thank you.  

on Dec. 6 2013 at 1:33 am
i think that love is not true

darian love said...
on Nov. 8 2013 at 3:12 pm
i really have a high school sweetheart who i loves with all  my heart and i would not leave him for anything in the world  because he is all i have in my life and he  treats me like a little 18 year old  girl needs to b treated  and i cant wait til i graduatae cause that who i  plan on spending my life with.

Li-Li Love said...
on Oct. 24 2013 at 1:41 pm
I do think that there could be teenage love. It could just develop and become more serious as you get older and become an adult. 

Cameo said...
on Oct. 21 2013 at 9:48 am
I enjoy the choice of topic, with the abundance of opinions on the matter.
Personally, I do believe it exists. Love, as an emotion, does exist and is the same thing no matter old are. People say that teenagers are easily attracted to each other as they are more susceptible to such emotions, and while it may possibly be true, I believe that it's more on the environment.
I also do believe that falling in love is a choice.

 

on Oct. 18 2013 at 12:07 pm
abandonedkid SILVER, Richmond, Virginia
6 articles 0 photos 34 comments

Favorite Quote:
"every guitar needs to be tuned" which means everyone needs help with something

im in trouble

on Oct. 18 2013 at 12:06 pm
abandonedkid SILVER, Richmond, Virginia
6 articles 0 photos 34 comments

Favorite Quote:
"every guitar needs to be tuned" which means everyone needs help with something

that was so not true my mom fell in llove with my dad in 6th grade

on Oct. 15 2013 at 3:28 pm
RonnieAguilar69, Berwyn, Illinois
0 articles 0 photos 13 comments
I agree, there is things like "teenage love," but you don't really call it that. It's not its own category, but rather there are teenagers mature enough to hold a relationship...

on Oct. 14 2013 at 6:09 pm
Ashleymarie1999 BRONZE, Ventnor City, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up❤️

I like your work!!!

Juliemystic said...
on Oct. 14 2013 at 3:45 pm
many people can expirience love with the right peoplke love can happen at any age with the right people for example someone can be with someone starting out as enemies as little kids then the next thing theyll know is that they will find love with each other get married and have children but this can aso happen with your soulmate with a soulmate you both will be happy and accept each others flaws for the rest of your life. i think i may have  find the right one and i hope everyone can find the right ones. Soulmates can mean alot

mzuribe said...
on Sep. 13 2013 at 11:08 am
i think that  high school love does exist . High school is preety much where it all begins and teens start to take things serious.  they go out more and try to spend as much time as they can with each other while they can . i mean some relationships are just a joke when your in high school but thats just to jerks wether it be boy or girl 

on Aug. 29 2013 at 11:22 pm
WallFlowerAlice GOLD, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 65 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Why wait when you only live once? Go out there dance, smile, and enjoy yourself! If your not having fun then darling your doing something wrong!"
- Therese

"I agree high school love is beautiful in my point of view," Said Alison

on Aug. 19 2013 at 10:22 am
stellamaare BRONZE, Moskow, Other
2 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
We can be heroes just for one day.

I believe in teenager's love. Now i fall in  love.

Guest said...
on May. 1 2013 at 10:02 pm
Yes. Teens can feel true love, whatever that is. However, they cannot distinguish between the Greek types of love (there are many types, and some are affected by hormones while others are not.) as well as developed adults.

Guest said...
on May. 1 2013 at 9:59 pm
1. GRAMMAR 2. Physiologically speaking, human brains are not fully developed unti l roughly 21. Also, teenagers are more susceptible to certain hormones, so they do not know as much about love as more mature adults.