I Love You

I love you.

It’s said all the time. But do people really mean it? Do they know the difference between true love and just a fling?

My best friend had her first boyfriend this year and about three or four months into the relationship, they started saying I love you. The sad thing is, is that they never kissed. Every time she would say I love you, I wanted to ask her, “Do you really?”

I don’t think that you truly love someone until your willing to give up anything and everything to be with them. I love you is meant to be forever, not just a few months or a year.

The saddest part about this is that “I love you” is both overused, and not said enough. For the people who really need to hear it, it’s not heard. But for the people that say it just to say it, you hear it all the time.

Love is a powerful word; it can either break your heart, or complete it. Don’t say “I love you” unless you truly mean it. Everyone will find their true love one day - or at least, that’s what I like to believe - because it’s not just in fairy tales.

roadrunner said...
You are right. 'I love you" is a commitment phrase and its a quite powerful one too. I think one of the reasons its used so much is that this phrase is what is expected and a person will say it for that reason instead of  meaning it truly.

Mz.Terry1 said...

I feel the same way.,I know what your talking about because people tell me they love me all the time but do they really mean it.,!!!!I LOVE YOU IS TOTALLY "OVERUSED"!

Signed:MZ.TERRY1

Bubblez15 said...
i love  this

godtimer55 replied...
Nov. 17, 2010 at 10:27 am :
This is a true fact love is a strong word ,and yes it is overused ,and not said enough mainly by friends, or ex-friends I love this opinion you have!!! 

susu.ali said...
huh.. thats interesting, I never really thought about not saying "i love you" to the people who really need to hear it, or deserve it more I guess. I know I definetly don't say i love you enough.

bea =] said...
I agree with the fact that people overuse the word or dont say it enough..However i would find  it more meaningful if you could be with someone and not have to be physical..that shows that the guy is really there for the right reasons. Its possible to love someone with out being IN love with them...(as weird as that sounds =])

MuSiC809This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 20, 2010 at 7:22 pm :
GuuD words,

bea =] replied...
Oct. 21, 2010 at 2:12 pm :

thanks =]

mlm1992 said...
I agree with you on this. You have to mean it if not the girls heart is going to brake into little tiny pieces.

beebzl said...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 11:25 am:

I 100% agree the word is both used too much and not said enough...

Dawn F. said...
your right the word love is over used but i do have to say that you can love someone and not kiss them, kissing them does not mean you love them! but nicely written!!

Tabitha G. said...
Jul. 24, 2010 at 8:12 pm:
Well...I mean yes I believe that teens can be in love but in my opinion true love never last. That is one of my favorite quotes of all time. Yeah. I believe that true love is meant for life but some teens over use the words "I love you." Which is really stupid in my opinion. Also in my opinion, don't believe in fairytales. They don't exist...

figureitout said...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 4:47 pm:
i agree completely. but i dont believe in forever. forever is only in fairytales. and, obviously, im not a fairytale princess and i definitely haven't found my prince charming. i dont believe in fairytales.

daughterofeve14 replied...
Oct. 29, 2011 at 1:54 pm :
I believe in forever, but I also believe love is never a fairytale. It can be very difficult. 

hiddenpoet said...
Jun. 10, 2010 at 3:25 pm:
I agree with you completely. I am only 13 but I know the difference between love and like. I feel where you're coming from. I've felt love before with one person. I loved her, I mean really loved her. She said she loved me but that was all bull. =(

Tenacious said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 8:22 am:
yeah. i see kids in high school that get together and like an hour after, the say i love you. i'm like... that's bull :/

ShernayB.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 19, 2010 at 11:51 am:

I think everyone who posted onto this piece, has a great opinion and great viewpoints. I do believe you can find love at ages such as 13 or older. Maybe even younger, but i wouldn't count on that too much. 

I am a rising junior in high school, and so many times I see my peers getting into relationships that only lasts a few weeks or a few days. In my greatest opinion, I do not wish to get involved with a relationship that I know will not last long. My grandmoth... (more »)

ShernayB.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 19, 2010 at 11:52 am :

please disregard everything after "great article keep writing"

i don't know how that happened.

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 24, 2010 at 2:53 pm :
With longer comments it tends to happen.  Seen in plenty of times.  And for the record, I'm in exactly the same situation as you, and it feels great

daughterofeve14 replied...
Oct. 29, 2011 at 1:48 pm :
Totally agree. Me and my boyfriend were very good friends for atleast six months to a year before we dated. And weve been dating for almost a full year and I still feel him as my bestfriend and the best boyfriend ever. Im fourteen and hes seventeen so yeah I believe you can also find love as young as 11 or 12.