I Love You | Teen Ink

I Love You

By walkingXonXclouds SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky
walkingXonXclouds SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky

It takes two to tango, but no one ever forces you to dance

I love you.

It’s said all the time. But do people really mean it? Do they know the difference between true love and just a fling?

My best friend had her first boyfriend this year and about three or four months into the relationship, they started saying I love you. The sad thing is, is that they never kissed. Every time she would say I love you, I wanted to ask her, “Do you really?”

I don’t think that you truly love someone until your willing to give up anything and everything to be with them. I love you is meant to be forever, not just a few months or a year.

The saddest part about this is that “I love you” is both overused, and not said enough. For the people who really need to hear it, it’s not heard. But for the people that say it just to say it, you hear it all the time.

Love is a powerful word; it can either break your heart, or complete it. Don’t say “I love you” unless you truly mean it. Everyone will find their true love one day - or at least, that’s what I like to believe - because it’s not just in fairy tales.

Tenacious said...
on Jun. 1 2010 at 8:22 am
yeah. i see kids in high school that get together and like an hour after, the say i love you. i'm like... that's bull :/

on May. 19 2010 at 11:52 am
ShernayB. DIAMOND, Southfield, Michigan

"Some things will never change"---Tupac

please disregard everything after "great article keep writing"

i don't know how that happened.

on May. 19 2010 at 11:51 am
ShernayB. DIAMOND, Southfield, Michigan

"Some things will never change"---Tupac

I think everyone who posted onto this piece, has a great opinion and great viewpoints. I do believe you can find love at ages such as 13 or older. Maybe even younger, but i wouldn't count on that too much. 

I am a rising junior in high school, and so many times I see my peers getting into relationships that only lasts a few weeks or a few days. In my greatest opinion, I do not wish to get involved with a relationship that I know will not last long. My grandmother always tells me that I will meet a lot of guys in my life, but I have one right now that I pray and hope I could have forever.

I believe a relationship will last longer if you establish a friendship first. That's what I did with my boyfriend. He was my best friend for two years and I never thought we would be anything until this day. If you create a friendship, the bond between you too will be so strong. You can be deeply and madly in love, but at the same time you both still act like the best of friends.

Love is everywhere. But you shouldn't look for it. It will come your way. Do not be desperate or hasty to find it.

Great article. Keep writing.

torilynn400 GOLD, Poughkeepsie, New York

"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself."
-President Franklin Delano Roosevelt

I really like where you're coming from. Like what point of view. It's true that people say it all the time, and I think you're completly right when you say that it shouldn't be taken lightly. Very good job, and keep writing!

happy said...
on Mar. 31 2010 at 9:37 am
i understand were your coming from. your completle right..but kids say it and if they do then they most of really love them.

I totally agree that the phrase i love u is just used to get a kiss!!!!!!

I totally agree that love is a strong word. One time I turned to my crush and meant to say I love being on a boy b-ball team and ended up saying that I loved him. ever since then he's been treating me like he's my bff instead of being his normal jerk self.

wooget101 GOLD said...
wooget101 GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky

Life is not about how many breathes you take but how many moments take your breathe away.

I just got done submitting a poem about that exact same thing and how it should not my expected but experienced.

on Jan. 14 2010 at 9:30 am
StephFaith23 SILVER, Traverse City, Michigan

"Love to faults is always blind,
Always is to joy inclin'd;
Lawless, wing'd and unconfin'd,
It breaks all chains from every mind."

Well their is some truth to that, the age thing. But see, if your 11 or 12, you dont know what love is. I dont even think you know what it is if your 13 or 14. It's just too young. You don't fully understand it yet. You just get into little relationships so you don't have to be the odd one out. My 14 year old sister is like that...she keeps saying she wants a boyfriend so bad and when she finds them...it lasts a week then shes over it. She just wants a boyfriend so she can fit in. Me, i'm 18 and i fell in love at 16, im still with him and even when we started saying it within the first few weeks i didnt really know what love felt like. After a few months i realized that i was in love him, madly in love. So the age thing has limits. I don't believe you can fully understand all the complexities and happiness of love until your a bit older.

no, that's not what I'm saying. What I mean is when people don't really know who they're dating and they automatically say I love you and they don't really mean it. Yes I believe that teenagers can fall in love, but I also think that we have a tendency to say I love you way too early into a relationship.

BaBii_GhErL PLATINUM, Wasilla, Alaska

Loving someone who doesnt love u is not wrong its just painful!

i agree but some just say because since their a couple they think its what their suppose to say to the other one...since their a couple

BaBii_GhErL PLATINUM, Wasilla, Alaska

are u sayin that jus becuz we're teenagers we dnt know what true love is?...if thats what ur saying i disagree...love as no limit...u can fall in love at a younger age then 16 or above...

BaBii_GhErL PLATINUM, Wasilla, Alaska

i agree on what u say...but i believe that no one really knows what love really is...they only know as what they see and feel it in their own definition

BaBii_GhErL PLATINUM, Wasilla, Alaska

yea but if u love them enough u would give up eerything just as long as u have them buy ur side...

Abel24 GOLD said...
Abel24 GOLD, Alpharetta, Georgia

"Never to suffer would never to have been blessed."
- Edgar Allan Poe

"The death of a beautiful woman, is unquestionably the most poetical topic in the world."

-Edgar Allan Poe

I have only said "I love you" to only one girl. At the end.....I truely loved her and she never took it seriously....Im 17 and I have already given up on teenage love....I can't beleive in it because I have never seen it.... I was stupid saying it to her when I was only hoping she loved me too....

on Nov. 2 2009 at 11:33 am
ClaraZornado GOLD, Danielson, Connecticut

"Your life is your art." Keri Smith

I like this article, but I disagree with what you said about truly loving someone. You can truly love someone and not want to give up everything.

Katie Trudeau SILVER, Saranac Lake, New York
I think Love should be used as often as possible. I love my dad, I love my sister, I love my female friends, I love my male friends. Love can't be bottled, confined or chained with one definition. Love is a feeling you have for some one who makes you smile when you see them, and someone who's best interest you have at heart. If Sanskrit has 100 words for love, why can't we?

tima said...
on Oct. 5 2009 at 10:25 am
I fell in love with my boyfriend when we started dating at age 14. Of course it took time to love him, but I know what love is. It's when you look at someone in the eyes and all you can see/ feel is them. When you hear their name your heart pounds. When you see them, everyone else is out of sight. And when you're with them, you never want to say goodbye. Unfortunately good things always come to an end. He and I broke up after almost 3 years of dating. We started growing apart which happens. Life happens. But as they say: "You can drive at 16, vote at 18, and drink at 21.... yet, there is no set age to following in love." It does not matter the age, the time, or the person... love... happens.

Rocky78 said...
Rocky78, Johnson, Missouri
your totaly right i think that i love u is just something people say to get kissed and it is defintly overused.

Allure GOLD said...
Allure GOLD, Fort Worth, Texas

The only thing to fear is fear it slef

I agree with you I didnt relize what ture love was intill I met my boyfriend and they took him away from me even made me move to a new school we are hitting the year mark in nov and we are still going out even though I know my grandparents can do alot worse you have no clue but it worth it it really is