High School Dating: The Hype

By , Brockton, MA
I'm wondering why there's so much pressure to date in high school. People act as if you need a boyfriend or girlfriend to be happy, to be completed. The truth is, you don't. It amuses me to see girls who have dated a guy less than a week, confess their love and utmost dedication for him. Or guys bragging about how many girls they've gone out with. What's the point? One person gave me a simple answer: fun. I get that. But what happens when your teen romance doesn't work out? Is it still fun then? And teens jump into relationships way too soon. I remember when askig someone out meant taking them out on a date, to get to know them better. Now it means you are boyfriend and girlfriend immediately. What's the rush? We're teenagers. We have a lot more life to live, more time to experience these things at a later date. But if we jump into them, then get hurt, we'll carry those memories into adulthood. I am 16 years old. I haven't had a million boyfriends before I reached this point. In fact, I haven't even had one. Some people say that makes me naive. I say it makes me smart.

cndygirl1090 said...
Thanks. It's nice to know i'm not the only teenager who feels this way :)

Jackiepurplerocks said...
i agree!!! there is too much pressure to have a bf/gf everyone who is single is smart we focuse on more important things than dating.

Mercury said...
I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm 14, and I consider myself married to single, but girls my age seem to be boy crazy. Junior high dating to me seems stupid. You have your whole life to do that. Good job on your writing!!!!!

Swimgirl said...
Awsome! I really belive this also! You dont need a bf/gf to make you happy, the single life is da bomb 2!!