Opinion Essay | Teen Ink

Opinion Essay

By 21ea01 BRONZE, Cannonfalls, Minnesota
21ea01 BRONZE, Cannonfalls, Minnesota

What will our world look like in 2050 if we do not change how much we pollute?

How do droughts, flooding, higher sea levels, and increased heat sound to you?

We must make changes now in order to avoid some serious concerns in years ahead.

If serious changes are not made now, heat waves, changes in rain and snowfall patterns and the extinction of some plants and animals may occur.

We are making changes to our behavior that is making a difference in the amount of pollution we are producing.

We are reducing the use of fossil fuels by using other sources of energy, finding alternate methods of transportation. Biking to work, mass transit, like light rail, solar panels on rooftops are making a big impact in reducing our use of fossil fuels.

Biofuels can reduce jet particle emissions by 50-75%, according to Engineers at NASA.  A biofuel is any liquid fuel derived from biological material such as trees, agricultural wastes, crops, or grass. Biofuel can be produced from any carbon source that can be replenished rapidly, such as plants. 

Reforestation is a simple way we are using nature’s resources to absorb CO2s before they get into the atmosphere.

We are making progress now, but there is a lot left to do.

Global warming is a world-wide issue. 

Countries need to work together to reduce emissions.

Science needs new technology to help reduce CO2 emissions, and restore the health of our planet. 

Everyone is responsible for making changes - corporations, cities and individuals all need to do their part.

What does the future hold if we do not make these changes a priority.

If we take the wait and see approach, blame someone else for this problem or ignore it completely.  Our world will look very different in 2050.

Nasa says that the evidence for climate change is compelling because of rising sea levels, icebergs melting and our temperature has risen 2.0 degrees fahrenheit since the 19th century. Nasa also states that   according to satellite seeings, there is a large amount of decreased snow over the past five 5 decades.

Increase in dangerous or extreme weather (hurricanes, Tornadoes, Earthquakes etc…).

Poor air quality due to pollution will impact the quality of life, or may cause the death of elderly and ill individuals.

Land will be lost to the oceans as a result of rising sea levels According to Sciencenordic. This will require people living in these areas to find a new place to live.

Also, National geographic article that is titled “we are on the side of facts” in April was when it was written, states that glaciers that are melting rapidly will cause huge floodings to coastal areas and many people will be having to move because of this disaster.

The decision to wait for someone else to make a change would be a mistake. 

Change for our world is a need and our actions will reflect on how our world turns out to be in the end

I am telling you this because the world is at stake here, and we are doing nothing to prevent these two issues that are dependable on eachother from happening. So take a stand and help save our great earth.