We Need to Fund Virology | Teen Ink

We Need to Fund Virology

June 1, 2017
By Joey8356 BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
Joey8356 BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Viruses, it's the word that scares people and they are the simplest life form on the earth. There is no end to the list of viruses because they never stop mutating. Virology is the study of viruses and it needs more funding, with more funding they could find a cure for ebola before the next outbreak. Also soon some of the many viruses could mutate and it could be the new plague. But if we find a cure we could eradicate the virus before it kills millions.


In the beginning, “There has been over 30 new viruses since 1980 and many old viruses have reappeared” and   “Taxonomy of Viruses had recognized more than 1,550 viruses and 56 families of virus. This is probably only a tiny fraction of the number of virus species in existence”. This is somewhat bad because the Black Plague could come back and devastate the world. To prevent this we should try and isolate the virus and find the cure. So as the evidence said some of the viruses are coming back and as they come they bring the diseases. Also this is surprising because this is a miniscule part of the world of viruses and we only know of a small part of the species.  As this piece of evidence shows that we need to have a well funded program to find the cure for the next deadly virus because it could be anything from the vast virus world. This is why we need to fund virology because we could look and find all of the viruses and be prepared for the next pandemic.


Next, “Vaccination has led to the eradication of smallpox and near eradication of polio and tight control over other infectious diseases such as measles” and there is the “Poxviruses are the most complex kind of viruses known. They have large amounts of genetic material and fibrils anchored to the outside of the viral capsid that assist in attachment to the host cell. Poxviruses contain a double strand of DNA.”. This means that they found a treatment for the smallpox and this was a plague like disease for the aztecs and it wiped out over half of their population, And so we found find a cure for the smallpox, so we may find a cure or treatment for HIV.  the poxvirus has so many different diseases such as cowpox and monkeypox. The makeup of the virus is very complex so it is harder to find a cure or vaccine.

 

Lastly, “Public health authorities, such as the Centers for Disease Control, need their laboratories to keep up with the nature of emerging viruses so that new vaccines can be prepared and plans for large-scale vaccination of the population set in motion.” If virology is funded then the authorities could kill the virus before it becomes an epidemic and also one problem is that some places don’t have a virus vault and lab so that means that the virus becomes an epidemic and people go to help but they get sick and bring it back to their country and now you have a worldwide problem. In addition, some people have the money but can’t have the cure or vaccine delivered to their country or the country doesn’t have enough money to get it so the world needs to work on getting worldwide unified drug program.

   

I know that people can say that it would be too expensive to have every country have a drug program or “doubts over the safety of these immunizations has led to a decrease in vaccination coverage in the United States and United Kingdom and a concomitant rise in cases of measles in some parts of the country”, but trust me it would be for the good of mankind and it could boost the development of our species. Also with the drug labs everyone could look for a cure for deadly virus and with everyone working i doubt it would take long to find the cure or vaccine. Also if we could make some vaccines cheaper than the world would trown those old viruses away.

 

The world is in dire need of help to prevent a pandemic, we can only achieve this by more funding in virology. What the funding should achieve is a virus vault and lab in every country and vaccines to every country. So if the world does this it would allow the end of many fatal diseases and also it could cause a leap in mankind's development. Also it would cause the chance of a better tommorrow.