Nature: Medicine for the Soul | Teen Ink

Nature: Medicine for the Soul

April 21, 2017
By Haldir2020 BRONZE, York, Pennsylvania
Haldir2020 BRONZE, York, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Humans are animals. Even as developed, personalized, and intelligent as we are, we share a deep connection with every living thing. However, many of the problems in the world result from the human belief that technology is more powerful and can replace the serene, perfect essence of nature. I believe that a connection with nature can heal wounds and help humans find balance in their lives.


There are many alluring opportunities to witness nature, such as local trails and protected woods, but even a peaceful park or a backyard pond can produce such a feeling. As for me, I enjoy hiking the Appalachian Trail, the longest national park and a 2,200 mile stretch of elegant woodlands. From the summer of 2013, my father and I have established a tradition of taking two or three days to traverse twenty mile sections of the trail. Though hiking the whole trail is unrealistic, the trips are most significant to me as a chance to enjoy the outdoors, forgetting about homework, extracurricular activities, and other irritants. Admittedly, I am always reluctant to believe that climbing up rocky mountains with a twenty-five pound backpack will is a form of relief, but somehow, it always is. We typically sleep in hammocks, which allows me to sleep under a starry, unpolluted sky. One does not notice how many more stars are visible away from the smog and light pollution of cities, but it truly multiplies threefold. Each day exposes new paths and grand views from rocky cliffs. On occasion we see vivid wildlife, like box turtles, snakes, and deer. Surprisingly, the trail is devoid of any garbage or pollution, making such a hike a wonderful opportunity.


Over this past spring break of 2017, we did one such hike; in doing so I abandoned the stress of our coming move and my anxious wait for two major grades. My father and I did discuss the move, and we received daunting news about the sale of our current house, but one quarter mile later, I forgot about it and was able to maintain an optimistic mentality despite my often pessimistic nature. Not once did I worry about my grades. Unusually, I felt a profound sense of peace, the type that comes from home. Unlike other activities that merely delay the confrontation of stressful pressures, I found lasting peace and resolution in the hike. Cumulatively, we have done five hikes and traversed 100 miles spanning from West Virginia to central Pennsylvania.


While the Appalachian Trail is my most memorable confrontation with nature, I frequently kayak, trail run, and hunt, typically archery. Unlike what stereotypes often depict, archery is 1% hunting and 99% sitting in deep thought, perfectly still; one develops a deep connection with nature, and it clears the mind of negative thoughts. Beyond my own preferences, there are countless other outdoor sports to please people of any interest. Therefore, I believe that those with any stress or imbalance in their lives should seek a greater connection with nature.