Stopping Deforestation | Teen Ink

Stopping Deforestation

May 19, 2016
By Caytlin BRONZE, Glenpool, Oklahoma
Caytlin BRONZE, Glenpool, Oklahoma
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

We should protect wildlife habitats by stopping deforestation so that we can keep our oxygen clean, protect endangered animals, and stop global warming from happening.  We are causing our environments to suffer because we want things that we don’t need.  Our oxygen contains large amounts of CO2 which is very unhealthy, animals are going extinct at a rapid pace, and global warming can cause major problems in our climate.  We need to protect habitats so our oxygen can have a level amount of CO2 and stay clean.  Animals are dying out so we need to protect their ecosystems.  Global warming is making bad weather happen, and to stop it we need to stop deforestation.


First, we need to keep our oxygen clean so that us and animals can stay healthy.  Scientists estimate up to 13% of global carbon emissions come from deforestation. (Effects, 2) We are cutting down forests for our wants and are putting a lot of carbon in the air which could be harmful.  Higher concentrations can affect respiratory function and cause excitation followed by depression of the central nervous system. (OSH, 5)  The dangers of high levels of carbon are what make us need to stop creating it.  CO2 currently represents about 84 percent of all greenhouse gases emitted by human activities. (Platt, 6)  The greenhouse gases caused by us cutting down habitats are filling the air and ruining it.


Second, we are causing animals to go extinct by cutting down their habitats.  When the act of deforestation occurs, it entails cutting down massive amounts of trees and vegetation. (Effects, 3)  Getting cures for diseases and food for animals are less and less possible with deforestation.  Many animals, big or small, are herbivorous and when their food supply gets taken away they are forced to move elsewhere. (Effects, 3)  Without food the animals will starve to death and go extinct, unless they are able to move an adapt.  When we chop down trees it causes animals to lose their habitats which means they have to adapt to a new environment, and if not they become extinct. (Effects, 3)  Not all animals are capable of adaptation, therefore they will dye out.  Some might say it is expensive to protect these habitats, but it is important to keep our animals and the food chain alive.


Third, climate change is happening because of too much greenhouse gases, one of the most substantial being carbon dioxide. It can be stopped but something needs to happen soon.  Forests are the largest terrestrial store of carbon, But deforestation is the largest source of carbon dioxide emissions after fossil fuel burning. (WWF, 7)  With deforestation at a peak we are at a very increased risk for climate change.  Molecules of carbon dioxide can absorb energy from infrared radiation. (Carbon, 1)  With carbon trapping heat global warming can cause water levels to rise because of glaciers melting which can cause major flooding.  The world is getting warmer and that's already causing disasters that will devastate lives and cost hundreds of billions of dollars. (Harvey, 4)  Some major causes of climate change are droughts hurricanes and other dangerous changes. These effects of the climate are largely impacted by deforestation which is one of the main  problems.  Others might say stopping deforestation could be hard and problematic, because we need wood for houses and protection but, our oxygen would stay clean and our climate wouldn’t change if we stopped deforestation or at least minimized our use of the forests from releasing large amounts of carbon dioxide.

Lastly, Protecting environments from deforestation should be in full effect to help the Earth.  We are polluting our oxygen with carbon dioxide.  We are killing off many species of animals.  We are creating problems for us and other species with global warming.  We are killing our animals and ourselves and we need to put an end to it.


The author's comments:

I love nature and I want t get across to readers why they should protect the thing thta gives them life.