Genetic Modifying Poses Great Threats | Teen Ink

Genetic Modifying Poses Great Threats

By P1nkPanda BRONZE, Wood Dale, Illinois
P1nkPanda BRONZE, Wood Dale, Illinois

"I never dreamed about success, i worked for it."

Everything in life is about survival of the fittest, many will try to mess with the circle of life, bringing new and dangerous ideas to the world.

I believe that GMO’s(Genetically modified organisms) pose a threat to not only humankind but animals, plants, crops etc and humans shouldn’t be influencing the inheritance of desired traits.

GM crops have already been tested many times around the world and many have gone unsuccessful.  GM testing has many horrid consequences. For example The Russian National Academy of Sciences did a preliminary study on GM testing with rats as their test subject. More than half of the rats that were fed GM soy died within 3 weeks, as opposed to 9% dieing being fed regular soy. Imagine what GM foods could do to humans. And that’s not all, In India a study done with GM cotton and sheep ended up killing over 10,000 sheep within 5-7 days of grazing the GM cotton. A tremendous loss rather than the goal, which was to help the species thrive.

Many will think that GM foods must be safe since many are being sold at grocery stores and the FDA wouldn’t allow them to be sold unless safe to eat, but I read on naturalrevolution.org that the FDA does not infact have any safety testing requirements for GM foods. As result of a lawsuit many FDA internal documents were later made public, revealing some problems GMO’s. So many of those GM foods can be dangerous and cause illnesses to those who consume them.

People with think that they are not harming much by eating GM foods but sometimes when they go wrong you aren’t aware of who will face the consequences. Many innocent animals are being forced into a miserable life. Michigan State University Animal Center calls these GM animals that have been bred, “ test tubes with tails.” Alot of these animals born with defects are deprived of their sentience. They are forced to live in miserable and agonizing isolation. People with argue that animals should be let free of genetic modification to live alongside the natural circle of life and i completely agree with them.

Many argue that it is our last chance at saving a species or making a possibly extinct species thrive, but genetic testing is a selfish bet. I get that it can make farming easy or create protein rich foods, but there could be a problem if say a test animal were to escape into the wild. This situation would throw off the balance of nature greatly.

So, you could genetically modify animals, crops etc, to make them faster, stronger and bigger, but it’s also a game of roulette. Genetic modifying poses great threats to the balance of life, which shouldn't be messed with and definitely shouldn’t be allowed. So furthermore we should stop the animal cruelty that goes along with genetically modifying and we should stop playing games of roulette that have increasingly drastic consequences.

Well, this first started out as a class assignment but, i was inspired to get the word out there once i had learned more about this. I personally hate animal cruely and this is something the i've become really passionate about.