The Depletion of Honey Bees | Teen Ink

The Depletion of Honey Bees

June 16, 2008
By Anonymous

The Depletion of Honey Bees


Twigs scattered across the ground… dead dried-out flowers… no animals… no food. This is just a minor description of what this planet would look like without honey bees. Isn’t it strange how much our world depends on these tiny creatures? And believe it or not, bees are dying out! Our world and our lives depend on honey bees and everyone needs to become more aware of this world dilemma. Read on to find out what is causing this, what could happen in the future if ignored, and what you can do to help.


There are many different opinions on why honey bees are dying out. One of them is CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder) The bees leave their hives, for an unknown reason, and die. 25% of all western honey bees are already dead. Viruses, mites, chemical exposure, parasites, pesticides, and poor nutrition are also causing them to die. Some people believe that cell phones are another cause for this. Scientists in Germany may have found the cause of missing/ disappearing honeybees… a worldwide problem that has also hit Colorado beekeepers hard. One beekeeper says that he started this past winter with 6,000 bees, and ended it with 1,000. "When bees are exposed to signals from cell phones, they can't find their way. They get no nutrition and consequently die," said Dr. George Carlo, chairman of the Safe wireless Initiative.1

If this HUGE problem continues, then the human race could go extinct! Not to mention animals, plants, insects, etc. Before these dramatic events occur, there could be another Great Depression. Fifteen billion dollars per year go to the government from taxes that were on merchandise made by honey bees or pollinated by bees. If this money is not available for the government, from products not being pollinated, then the government would slowly become poorer. This would also raise taxes. Our future is greatly factored by the depletion of homey bees.
Everyone should take part in the fight to save the honeybees!! There are many ways to help out. If you REALLY care, you could become a bee-keeper at a local bee farm. Do not think that you need to do something really big to help out, because you do not. You could plant some “bee- friendly” plants in your backyard, garden, or neighborhood such as; lavender, glory bushes, jasmine, rosemary, coreopsis, violets, thyme, wisteria, bluebells, trumpet vine, sunflowers, cosmos and cone flower. You can buy beeswax candles, too. These candles donate money to farmers to help them pay for the up keeping of the bees and their hives. If you can not find enough time in your busy life to do some of these things, you could always donate money to organizations that help the honeybees. One of these organizations is Häagen-Dazs. They have a web-cite; www.helpthehoneybees.com in this web-cite, you can learn a lot of new facts about honey bees, play games, send e-mails with cute animated bees that YOU design, and learn some other ideas and ways to help the honey bees.

We would like to spread awareness of the depletion of honey bees, because, bees are dying out! Our lives greatly depend on honey bees and we would cease to exist with out them. Everyone should try to help out, and join the fight to help the honey bees! Keep the hive alive, “bee” a hero, and help our busy bees.